• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Rabies Certificate Issue

LisaAr

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff We just got a rescue 7 year old male Yorkie (Oakley). He was relinquished after the owner's death along with a 5 year old yorkie female and 7 year old yorkie male. The rescue provided me with my pup's medical records from the original vet from birth.

Oakley received a rabies vaccine in July 2023 from the original vet and it does not specify what type. When he was relinquished the rescue took him to the vet and they gave him a Nobivac3 in May 2024. So already, he got the vaccine earlier than necessary. But here is my problem. When I saw the rabies certificate it said the vaccine was only good until May 2025, indicating it was good for one year. But in the box describing the Nobivac3 vaccine, lot number and producer it has the 3 year vaccine box checked. Before we left with Oakley, I questioned the guy with the group and pointed out that the vaccine record was reflected incorrectly in that he would need ANOTHER rabies vaccine for next year in 2025 yet it was a 3 year vaccine he got last month. The guy mocked me and said that the 3 year vaccine can be used for one year based on the "date" the vaccine was given and that he was a "vet tech".

NOTE: I have worked extensively on vaccine issues, including in the legislative arena for exemptions and attending congressional hearings and writing about them. I know many people injured and people who died due to reactions. So, vaccinations should never be a one size fits all medical procedure and options should be given. ALL of my previous dogs lived to age 16-18 due to very limited vaccines, in my opinion.

Additionally, once I got home and started going through all the paperwork, I found that the vet who saw Oakley as a rescue, incorrectly listed his age as 5 and female. I believe the rescue took all three dogs to the vet together and when they wrote the paperwork they got it confused. I did the most obvious thing which was to call the vet in TX but I was told (1 ) they only give 3 year rabies, (2) they only license the 3 year rabies for one year for the first time they see the dog (even though it is a 3 year vaccine) and (3) they will only work with the rescue to fix the certificate (not me the current owner) and denote the rabies as 3 years.

I called the rescue and the guy is not returning my call. Where I live, June is dog licensing. I want to get my dog licensed and registered, should he get loose so they have a correct address but between the age, sex and licensing the 3 year vaccine for only 1 year, I can't register him. Does anyone have an idea of how to get this corrected? This poor dog has already been over vaccinated and I want to give him the same life span chance as my other dogs.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Lisa, thank you so much for for your work in the vaccine area and adopting rescues.

Hydrophobia accurately describes the hysteria and fear around Rabies, which is a lethal disease. While the AVMA in 2016 recognized there was much long protection (after the Rabies Challenge research) and amended its recommendation (not law, just recommendation) to say "cats and dogs that are exposed to rabies and are overdue for a vaccine can have a booster shot followed by an observation period rather than be subject to quarantine or euthanasia."

However, the laws of the town take precedent. Maybe others have some suggestions to work with the local lawmakers.

What I can offer is that in my experience most animals do fine, even those who receive the rabies vaccine, even repeatedly for various reasons (happens a lot) and no other vaccines, is treated holistically, has family who projects thoughts that there will no problems, keeps a journal to carefully see if there are any changes from the vaccine, and then works with a homeopath to rebalance the energy field.

You will find many strategies to minimize the toxic effects of the Rabies at HA! Search the forum and the main page as well.

Dr. Christina

LisaAr

Community Member
Registered
Update: They reissued the rabies certificate with correct age, sex and vaccine expiration BUT now my dog is a cat. :redface:

I encourage pet parents to make sure they check their rabies certificates when getting a rescue or leaving a vet office.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom