• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Possible infected anal gland, can't get to vet until Sunday....

VanessaP

Registered
Good Morning!

Brief background; my 15lbs, 16yo spayed female had anal sac infusion for an impacted anal gland last Oct '23. I took her to the vet 6/25/24 for a strange spot on her anus- the vet expressed a very thick discharge from her right anal gland. I was not sent home with antibiotics. This last weekend I noticed that spot was coming back and had a vet appointment scheduled yesterday- the vet was sick and had to reschedule for next Tuesday.

I've been doing warm compresses 2-3 times a day and putting animax ointment on her anus 2 times per day and on wednesday started adding 2 drops of 10ppl collidal silver to her food 2x per day. Some thick discharge has been coming out with the compresses and initially thought she would be fine till next week except yesterday afternoon the discharge looked like white pus.... today her bottom doesn't look happy but no noticeable discharge. I am reluctant to take her to urgent vet today because I can't get out of work tomorrow if they are to sedate and flush etc. (Which I am nervous about)

Will she be ok until Sunday?? What else can I be doing to help keep things from getting worse? Epsom salt/cammomile compress? Can I put collidial silver on her anus? How much collidial silver should I be giving her? Can I put CBD on her bottom??

She's not scooting, seems to only lick after i put the animax on, her poops haven't been the best the last couple of days, some of her habits are off but it doesn't seem like she's uncomfortable, she's eating and drinking. I started giving her raw turkey again on wednesday which she's been CRAZY for and demanding more food. I don't know if this is because she's not feeling well or she just really loves her new food.

Thank you in advance! :)

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
You are doing just fine, Vanessa.
For this episode, you may want to add Calendula tincture (or Calendula/hypericum tincture (from health food store) to the hot water. And/or stress stopper (Jackson galaxy) or Rescue Remedy to the water. Hold the compress for 5-10 minutes and do it 2-5 times a day. Since she is licking off the Animax, maybe switch to the CBD.

Once this is resolved:
1. find a holistic vet (virtual or local)
2. realize that this is a clue her vital force is not completely balanced (at 16 you have certainly been doing a great job!) so make a list of any and all little things (check out the Early Warning signs list at HA) and work with a homeopathic vet or chinese medicine vet to get the energy field back in balance.

Keep up with food she likes. Make sure she is getting some fiber with the turkey, and calcium if not eating the raw bones.

Maybe schedule your 15 call with Dr. Jeff or Myself.

Dr. christina

VanessaP

Registered
Ok, thank you! So, I should hold off on taking her to the urgent vet? update: There is a light red discharge on the compress...

I do have a call scheduled with you this tuesday 7/23 at 11;30am est :)

I add Alnutrin w/calcium to her food + butternut squash, slippery elm bark, ion gut health and probiotics. Maybe she needs more fiber though?

Last edited:

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hard to tell. There is never one right answer.
if her BEAM is ok and she is not miserable, I would say you could probably wait. However, if you are very concerned you need to do what feels right to you.

And there are several holistic vets in Sarasota.
Wendy cooper (animal communicator) recommends Cynthia Juday, saying she only does home visits, is trained in homeopathy and acupuncture, and does some western too. She also has privileges at a couple of offices in case of surgery, I think. .

DR. Cynthia Juday, DVM

[mailto:lightworksbycj@verizon.net]

941-927-3330

cell/ 941-735-6858

And you can go to the article on HA about finding a holistic vet - read whole article and then follow it's guidelines.

Dr. christina

Last edited:

VanessaP

Registered
:D Excellent! I'll call her, thank you!! I'll continue to keep an eye on Cleo. Her energy is a little low this morning- had a good poop which may have aggravated things, however I'm hopeful she's on the right path and, I will continue with candelua and rescue remedy compress etc.

I'm so happy to have found you guys and appreciate your help and service....Thank you!! :)

VanessaP

Registered

Should I hold off on giving her probiotics until her bottom heals a little more or, is it good for her to be pooping to help clear whatever's going on in her glands?

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Personally the only reason I can think of to hold off on probiotics is a known intolerance or if she stops eating because of them.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom