• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Anal Glands have ruptured after having them express

LillyH

Registered
Carin Terrier, Age 10 had her anal gland expressed by vet on October 30, 2023. She has been scooting her bottom every morning. I have been noticing a strong odor coming her glands. Her anal glands have been leaking a little blood through the day. I have been applying a warm compress with green tea, chamomile tea and st. john wort three times a day. I have also been putting coconut oil, rose cream and CBD salve on her anal glands. I have been giving arnica and silicea three times a day. Her poops are normal and appetite is good. I added parlsey, radishes, pumpkin and ground flax seed to her diet.

Would adding pysllium husk powder be helpful?

What else can I do to help heal her anal glands?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Lilly!

I hope you had a lovely Thanks-giving.

I'm sorry to hear about your pup's itchy anals. How's her BEAM?

What does she eat?

Is she active and trim?
Would adding pysllium husk powder be helpful?
Yes.
What else can I do to help heal her anal glands?
Perhaps stop dosing Silicea and give her 2-3 extra 10 minute sniff walks and play sessions/day.

LillyH

Registered
Her beam is good. She gets Dr. Judy Morgan puploaf homemade cooked foods, turkey, sardines, eggs, leafy greens, cranberries, pumpkin, shittake mushrooms, ginger, garlic, flaxseed, radishes, parsley, asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, calamari oil, chlorella, rabbit, salmon, Goat kefir, coconut chips and freeze dried raw turkey meats. She gets a variety of leafy greens and mushrooms. Her appetite is good. She gets a daily walk in the evening and snuffle mat once a day. We go outside every 3 to 4 hours in our yard daily.

When she goes outside to poop there is blood around her anus. While she is laying down relaxing blood is leaking from her anal glands.

She is still scooting on her bottom.

So you're saying stop the Silicea and give more play time will heal the anal glands?

So how much pysllium husk powder should add to her diet? She is 37 pounds

What else can I do to help her?

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Do you have a homeopathic or other great holistic veterinarian on your Health care team?

The best to help her now, as when any condition is lingering, (almost a month now) is to get a good evaluation of overall health and address the obvious internal energetic imbalance. I have a small concern that it may not be an anal gland problem.

So you're saying stop the Silicea and give more play time will heal the anal glands?
I would stop the arnica as well. Each dose of a homeopathic medicine needs to be evaluated as to its necessity. And giving more than one at a time (except for a day or two in an acute situation) can be confusing. What is helping, if either?

From the library, read the homeopathy link. Maybe review the homeopathy forum thread, take the homeopathy intro and intermediate classes that are a member benefit, do a search on "evaluation of response" for the webinars on that.

That will help you understand why not to keep giving remedies if there is no improvement. Have you made a list of all symptoms? That is step one. The Healthy Dog Journal ebook can help you with that.

Your title says there are ruptured anal glands. And you say that blood is leaking from her anal glands.
A ruptured gland would be a hole next to the anus, which can happen with major infection. I do not think that is what you mean. It can be very hard to tell if something is coming from the anal sacs or from the rectum itself. When you say the blood is leaking throughout the day - is she leaving drops of blood wherever she lies down or sits? Is it bright red? Does it have that distinctive anal odor? Is it mucus or clear? Do you see any blood on the outside of her stool?

I have been applying a warm compress with green tea, chamomile tea and st. john wort three times a day. I have also been putting coconut oil, rose cream and CBD salve on her anal glands.

Another thing to try until you get a holistic veterinary consult is this. You are possibly using too many products at one time. It makes evaluating what is helping the most much harder. Since your combo for compress does not seem to be helping, try stopping completely for a few days. If worse, then maybe try a different compress for one or two for a few days. 1. Calendula and rescue remedy (or stress stopper) 2. Black tea
3. Plantain 4. there are many others.

And try only one of the salves around the rectum. Again, you say you are putting it on the anal glands. Do you mean you are putting it around the rectum?

Since her stools are normal, I am not sure you need psyllium husks, though our last speaker felt it is good on a regular basis. I would start with 1 teaspoon daily in the food.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom