• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

New rescue cat in home - potential herpes virus issue

TerriH

VIP Member
Registered
As they say, no good deed goes unpunished! We recently brought in a young orange tabby after losing Oliver (for those that may have seen posts, he had severe CKD months back). Things were great except it took me longer than I wanted to get a vet appointment to have this new young boy baselined and checked over. On doing so, our local vet found that he had some eye issues and potential herpes virus implications and was concerned about him coming in with a virus to pass to the other two cats. He was quarantined away for 2 weeks from the others (and litter boxes and water etc) and he improved. The problem is that one of the other cats (#2 out of 3) started sneezing on Friday (something that the rescue cat didn't have when the eyes were running....but I do know that the watery eyes can evolve to an URI and sneezing. The third rescue who did have some GI issues through this is also sneezing today. All blankets and water dishes have been washed. How do we get on top of it all? They are on the L-Lysine to support immune health and 1/2 of a zyrtec to combat the respiratory symptoms. Should I separate everyone again or just keep going and get it over with (since they all have exhibited sneezing type symptoms already)? Overall their BEAM is not 100%, but it is probably 85-90%. Trying to get on the right track for all concerned and not sure if it will continue to circle or time will allow us to put this behind us.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Terri! I'm so sorry to hear about Oliver.?

Before I reply further tho, please remind me how many kitties you have?

Also, please describe their environs a bit, e.g one big room, free roaming, etc.?

How much do the cats interact (if at all)?

TerriH

VIP Member
Registered
View attachment 20210307_153008.mp4
Hey Terri! I'm so sorry to hear about Oliver.?

Before I reply further tho, please remind me how many kitties you have?

Also, please describe their environs a bit, e.g one big room, free roaming, etc.?

How much do the cats interact (if at all)?
Thank you --- things went downhill very fast with Oliver. Pretty hard route with him and the kidney issue unfortunately. :( There are 3 cats.... The new rescue cat, and two others that were in the home prior with Oliver. They were separated (new from the "old") when the rescue cat first came in, but were put together within a few days and all get along well. So they are free roaming indoor only. When the new cat got the diagnosis (at the vets - he went in as early as possible for a "wellness screen" as the new cat in the house), we were surprised that he had anything as he didn't seem to have any issues, but when they said the herpes virus/eyes, we immediately quarantined him when he got home and changed litter/water etc. and he stayed in quarantine from the other 2 for about 2 weeks. The new guy improved (eyes only) but now everyone seems to be getting upper respiratory symptoms out of the blue starting with the 2nd cat sneezing (video)....and today the last cat is sneezing. The video (just to show what they are doing) is the 2nd cat.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Terri-

I'm sorry that Oliver deteriorated so quickly. :(

Regarding today's question about exposure to the infectious respiratory disease in your kitties, this is awe-some timing for follow-up on covid strategies!

Any infectious disease (I write it without the hyphen because infectious diseases may not create the internal imbalance of dis-ease) can be approached in one of three ways described by A.S.C. (just ask what to do!):

1. Avoid - Yes, I would keep your patient Zero (the new rescue kitty) separated from the other 2 as much as possible.

2. Support - Fresh food feeding, supplements (Liquid Immuno, Respiratory Tonic, etc.), ionbox, etc. are wonderful ways to support their terrain:

3. Cure - Whenever possible, address the underlying immune imbalance that increased susceptibility to the germ:

Try to optimize their inner terrains to reduce the virus with the simple Happiness Protocol and TOP (terrain optimizing protocol):

top.png

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Oh herpesvirus conjunctivitis, my favorite! (Not!) My belief, after years of cat-only holistic practice, is that all cats have latent herpesvirus--it is that ubiquitous. And if they don't have it, we give it to them when we vaccinate with modified live rhinotracheitis (which is just another name for herpesvirus). This vaccine component is not intended to prevent disease, but supposedly just makes it less nasty.

When I was in practice and if I came upon an intractable case that didn't respond to my usual protocol, I would send it to my ophthalmologist buddy, who was a resident when I was in vet school. They all came back "herpes conjunctivitis." After a number of these, I saw my buddy at a vet association luncheon, and I said, "Hey, Matt, are they ALL herpes?" And he said "Yes!" So no matter what else is contributing, there is at least a herpes component.

Of course, all the suggestions about cleaning up the diet and lifestyle apply. If we accept that all cats have the virus, but the vast majority live with it and their immune system keeps it under control, then flare-ups are simply telling us that the immune system is out of balance. Since the virus either pre-existed or has already been transmitted, I wouldn't worry about quarantining.

I wrote this article a long time ago, but I think it is still pretty applicable. Now, I'm a homeopathic heretic, and recommend combination remedies with which I've had good success. But the experts here can guide you as to a more appropriate constitutional remedy.

Feline Conjunctivitis | Little Big Cat

Oh, and here's a fun fact: a study was done on lysine for herpes conjunctivitis in cats, and found it to be completely useless. Alas, I'd like them to tell that to the hundreds of my patients whose herpes was beautifully controlled by lysine alone. Ah, science! ;)

TerriH

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you both very much --- I have put some protocols in place amongst them. I'm reading through all of your info and appreciate your time and response. I am trying to be patient to see if we can get on top of this sooner than later. 2 of the cats are doing reasonably well, but the 3rd female is definitely dealing with an URI.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom