• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Anal gland odor in cat

DeborahF

Community Member
Registered
  1. Your pet's name - Gizmo
  2. Approximate age - 1 year
  3. Sex - Male
  4. Neutering status - neutered
  5. Breed - DSH
  6. Approximate weight 10 lb
  7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) 10/10
  8. Diet - Stella & Chewy's rehydrated raw - 1 cup per day
  9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication - necessary kitten vaccines, Itrafungol, Cerenia nasal drops, Albuterol, doxycycline, Ponazuril, nystatin ointment, famciclovir, clavamox, pyrantel pamoate, Panacur, Revolution plus, nystatin oral suspension (was rescued as young kitten from hoarding situation - had calcivirus)
  10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time - noticed anal odor in the past week. All else normal.
  11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? - No effect.
  12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them) No.
  13. Current and previous treatment - None
  14. Other health concerns - None
Is it necessary to express his anal glands at this point? Should I add psyllium to his food? If so, in what amount? Bowel movements normal.

Thank you!

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hi Deborah, welcome!

If there's an odor, I would definitely take action and get those anal glands emptied. There is a risk of one or both abscessing, which is a horrendously unpleasant situation to deal with. If you know how to do it yourself, all the better, but be very very very gentle! If they're stretched, they could rupture with little pressure.

Fiber will not do anything to empty those glands now that there seems to be an imminent problem. Once that's fixed, then adding a little extra fiber may bulk up the stools and help to empty them naturally going forward.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Deborah (and thank you Kim for calling our attention to this post)!

Wow, that's a lot of stuff that Gizmo had in his young life!

Did he have ringworm besides calici?
Is it necessary to express his anal glands at this point?
Great question! Are they bothering him (lots of anal licking or scooting on his butt)?

Can you see a bulge on either side of his anus (looking at the anus like a clock, the bulges would be at 5:00 and 7:00)?

If his BEAM is normal and there are no bulges, and if he doesn't seem bothered by the anals, then perhaps try addressing the underlying issue and seeing if the odor gradually resolves.

Should I add psyllium to his food?
Will he eat any raw food, veggies, celery juice, etc.?
If so, in what amount?
Perhaps try fiber in greens first. The wild blueberry/organic kale smoothie is something that can help and which some cats like:

DeborahF

Community Member
Registered
Gizmo came down with ringworm about a week after we brought him home, about 7 weeks of age. Was treated with the intrafungal and responded well. Sugarfoot, our other cat, did not contract it despite a lot of play and contact. We stayed ringworm free as well....:)

BEAM is very good, no scooting, licking or swelling. In fact, the odor has resolved for the time being.

He will eat steamed broccoli. Does it make a difference raw vs cooked? How much should I give him? I have been giving psyllium for the past several days. Presume I would give him the broccoli and stop the psyllium? He will also eat raw zucchini. I will also try the smoothie as well.

Many thanks,

Deborah

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Steamed is great, Chopped up raw is fine as well.

Perhaps see if he likes it first and continue the psyllium for now so you can properly evaluate the effect from the broccoli (1 change at a time).

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom