• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

New Drug for Helping Calm Cats

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
This might interest some kitty guardians:

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
This drug appears to be Lyrica, used for various pain and anxiety symptoms in humans. Judging from the possible side effects listed from various sources, I certainly would not venture subjecting a cat to it - well, or a human, for that matter.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Well, yes and no. On the hierarch of "good" vs. bad meds, both this new drug and gabapentin fall squarely in the middle.

By far the best approach IMHO is to treat and eliminate the underlying energetic imbalance as homeopathy (but not drugs or supplements) does.

Here's some more "human" info about the meds:

Both Lyrica and gabapentin are used as anti-epileptic medications and to treat nerve pain. But there are several differences between them. The main differences between Lyrica and gabapentin are:

Lyrica is a brand name for pregabalin. Gabapentin is a generic name - brands of gabapentin include Neurontin, Gralise, and Horizant. Gabapentin is not the same as pregabalin, even though they both belong to the same class of medicine, called gabapentinoids, and work similarly
Lyrica and Lyrica CR are the only brands of pregabalin. Neurontin is a brand name for gabapentin. Other brands of gabapentin include Gralise and Horizant
Lyrica and gabapentin are not interchangeable (you cannot switch between them without your doctor’s advice). Even some brands of gabapentin are not interchangeable, for example, gabapentin enacarbil (brand name Horizant) is not interchangeable with Gralise (gabapentin [once-daily formulation])
Lyrica may also be used to treat neuropathic (nerve) pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy or postherpetic neuralgia, spinal cord injury, and fibromyalgia Gabapentin may also be used to treat nerve pain caused by shingles (herpes zoster) and gabapentin enacarbil, brand name Horizant, is also approved for restless legs syndrome (RLS). Gabapentin may also be used for off-label conditions as well
Lyrica is more likely than gabapentin to cause side effects such as dry mouth, constipation, swelling (edema), breast enlargement, or weight gain
Gabapentin is more likely than Lyrica to cause side effects such as difficulty speaking, fever, an increased risk of viral infections, unusual eye movements, or jerky movements
Lyrica is absorbed faster and starts working more quickly than gabapentin. Lyrica reaches its peak concentrations within an hour of being taken, whereas it takes 3 to 4 hours for gabapentin to reach its peak concentration
There is some evidence that Lyrica may have a higher addiction potential than gabapentin due to its faster absorption and onset of action
Although both drugs have similar interactions, gabapentin may also interact with NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen, naproxen, and diclofenac.
Because Lyrica and gabapentin belong to the same class of medicine (gabapentinoids), they have many similarities, for example:

A shared mechanism of action (the way the medicines work), although experts are not exactly sure what the mechanism of action is, they suggest it is through binding to certain pathways in the nervous system. Even though both are structurally like gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), they do not bind to GABA or benzodiazepine receptors
Both Lyrica and gabapentin have been associated with misuse and in some countries they are classified as controlled substances. Lyrica is classified as a schedule 5 controlled substance in the United States. Gabapentin is not classified as a controlled substance at a Federal level, however some states in the U.S. have classified gabapentin as a controlled substance at a state level. The states that have classified gabapentin as a controlled substance are Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Michigan, and Tennessee. States that include gabapentin in their prescription drug monitoring programs include Minnesota, Ohio, Illinois, Massachusetts, and Wyoming.
Some side effects, such as dizziness, drowsiness, loss of balance or coordination, problems with memory or concentration, tremors, and vision problems (blurred vision or double vision) have been reported with both medicines
Both Lyrica and gabapentin have been associated with withdrawal syndromes on discontinuation.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Gabapentin is very popular with veterinarians right now to help "turn down the volume" on fractious cats for clinic visits. Many also use it for arthritis pain, though it isn't a great painkiller. OTOH I used it with physical therapy to avoid knee surgery, absolutely took care of the chronic pain. Also available from compounding pharmacies as a topical for un-pill-able cats.

For single event or very short-term use, it's not a bad option, although herbs, homeopathy, and flower essences may do as well for most cats. For the really out-of-control cats who need a serious drug, gabapentin is okay. I used it for Perry as a pre-medication when he had to have a little surgery at home, worked great, only lasts a few hours.

It's used in dogs as an adjunct pain med, but personally I haven't been that impressed with it in that use. For painful dogs, it is absolutely NOT adequate by itself.

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
Gabapentin is very popular with veterinarians right now to help "turn down the volume" on fractious cats for clinic visits. Many also use it for arthritis pain, though it isn't a great painkiller. OTOH I used it with physical therapy to avoid knee surgery, absolutely took care of the chronic pain. Also available from compounding pharmacies as a topical for un-pill-able cats.

For single event or very short-term use, it's not a bad option, although herbs, homeopathy, and flower essences may do as well for most cats. For the really out-of-control cats who need a serious drug, gabapentin is okay. I used it for Perry as a pre-medication when he had to have a little surgery at home, worked great, only lasts a few hours.

It's used in dogs as an adjunct pain med, but personally I haven't been that impressed with it in that use. For painful dogs, it is absolutely NOT adequate by itself.
@Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Jeff Thank you for sharing this information and opinions. I wonder if the Lyrica is also available from compounding pharmacies as a topical for un-pill-able cats? I have become more concerned with Bella's kidney values and using these types of drugs though (which to my understanding she has a decreased ability to remove wastes such as gabapentin). We have used gabapentin previously for long car rides and the overall experience in the vets. And Dr. Jean, can you explain a little more what kind of topical this means? I am intrigued. Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I wonder if the Lyrica is also available from compounding pharmacies as a topical for un-pill-able cats?
Great question, it may depend on the pharmacy. Perhaps ask your local vet if they work with a compounding pharmacy.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Any compounding pharmacy can put any drug in a transdermal gel, but the question is whether it will be absorbed into the bloodstream. There is not much research on Lyrica (pregabalin) but in one mouse study it did seem to be effective in a PLO gel. It lasts longer than gabapentin so that's an advantage, if the compounding is done appropriately.

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
Great question, it may depend on the pharmacy. Perhaps ask your local vet if they work with a compounding pharmacy.
@Dr. Jeff we have a great compounding pharmacy locally I have used for my kitties. I'll have to ask them next time I am there. Fallon's wellness pharmacy. :)

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hot off the press, from wonderful behaviorist Dr. Karen Overall, pregabalin not only works wonderfully in cats, but it seems to taste good to them! So if compounded topical doesn't work as well as hoped, perhaps the pharmacy could compound it into an oral powder or paste that would be palatable!

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Jean Hofve I called my local compounding pharmacy I have used over the years for my kitties today, to ask if I had a script for Lyrica for my kitty, would they fill it. Their response was it is a pregabalin (mentioned earlier in this thread), and that it is a controlled substance, so they will not be able to get this drug in. I am curious myself as to why they have dispensed me gabapentin in the past for my girls' trip to the vet to ease anxiety, but won't fill Lyrica. ?

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Didn't know that, but it is a Schedule III, DEA-controlled substance, like ketamine and codeine. They probably do not have a DEA license so they would be prohibited from buying or dispensing it. A license would cost them $2000/year plus an enormous amount of paperwork, locked storage, and a whole lot of other hassles. Don't blame them from not bothering. You could, however, get it from your vet, it comes in a liquid made for veterinary use. Gabapentin is not controlled, and it's very cheap.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
why they have dispensed me gabapentin in the past for my girls' trip to the vet to ease anxiety, but won't fill Lyrica. ?
Wow, who would thunk it (not me)!

As you learned Daysha, pregabalin is controlled!

And as Dr. Jean wrote, gabapentin is not. Bonquat (the "new" drug that I mentioned) is also controlled.

Most vets have DEA licenses.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom