• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Keto diet for cancer but...kidney dis-ease?

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
Hi...I have a dog with lymphoma who has always been a picky eater. Keto diet was recommended and I found a diet she likes by Visionary Pets. She will sporadically eat lightly cooked raw or cooked food. She was recently found to have also stage one kidney dis-ease...and the Keto diet is high protein (40 percent). She will not eat raw anymore.

Any thoughts on this?

I have always done home prepared or kept my kidney disease dogs on raw or cooked with feeding certain vegetables etc...never done Keto before.

And of course she craves dry stuff (dehydrated food, air dried, and the keto kibble); she does seem to balance it with then going for wet stuff other days (Weruva canned, Tucker's raw frozen patties that I cook, canned tripe, lot of water).

Any feeding ideas that will support all systems and that she will eat appreciated.

Going for quality of life here but don't want to hasten things by wrong diet either.

Thank you and peace,
Cassandra

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Dry food AND high protein is not a good combo for kidney issues. Dry food is dehydrating, and protein is a natural diuretic, both of which can really stress the kidneys. However, at this very early stage, it's probably more important to wean off the dry than to worry about high protein (the effects of which are debatable!). Even canned food is a better bet than dry, and may be quite a bit more palatable.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Cassandra-

Was there ever any food or treat she loved to eat?

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
Dry food AND high protein is not a good combo for kidney issues. Dry food is dehydrating, and protein is a natural diuretic, both of which can really stress the kidneys. However, at this very early stage, it's probably more important to wean off the dry than to worry about high protein (the effects of which are debatable!). Even canned food is a better bet than dry, and may be quite a bit more palatable.
Thank you. She never ate dry food...it is right now what she is craving and I am trying to get her to eat anything so using as a topper. It boggles my mind why dogs w kidney issues crave dehydrated and dry but she does and my there old dog did as well. I will try. I am just so concerned about weight loss that I am desperate for her to eat...

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
Hi Cassandra-

Was there ever any food or treat she loved to eat?
It changes by the day. Her favorite thing was roasted chicken from the supermarket when she would eat nothing else...very high in salt so not great idea. Right now she only wants friend chicken hearts and liver. Not sure how much of this she can safely have...?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question about safety vs. happiness!

In the case of food for dogs I would err on the side of happiness.

How about using freeze dried chicken hearts and playing the hunt for treats.

Trying to maximize her happiness is key!

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
Great question about safety vs. happiness!

In the case of food for dogs I would err on the side of happiness.

How about using freeze dried chicken hearts and playing the hunt for treats.

Trying to maximize her happiness is key!
She loves them and we do this. She really also loves the ones cooked in butter. She hunts treats in the grass and in snuffle mat. I just don't know how many she can have without getting into GI trouble? Just had session with my favorite intuitive who said that she was adamant about "to limiting my food"and give her hat she wants, including the kibble. The intuitive suggesting adding Phos-bind to the food in the event of worry about high protein. Thank you for your help. Yes, we definitely are believers in the happiness protocol.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Adding the Phos Bind (or Aventi Kidney Complete) would be great!

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
I got the Phos-Bind...and also started Bengston with an amazing distance practitioner. We went from her feeling really not herself to the point I thought we were near the end, to her feeling so much better ❤️

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom