• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Inflammatory bowel disease in cats

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
My kitty, Angelica, is 6 years of age and is a DSH. After a 3-day stay in the vet clinic hospital, she has been diagnosed with IBD. This was yesterday. She had symptoms of bloody diarrhea, vomiting loss of appetite, and difficulty passing urine. Originally on Thursday of last week, the vet thought she had an intestinal infection and Angelica was given an injection of antibiotic (convenia) and a further injection( prifinial) to stop the diarrhea. Friday morning she was no better so I took her back. She stayed in the vet hospital over the weekend and was given the following meds: Cerenia, Metronidazol (unhappy about this med) Omeprazol, Prifinial, Dipirona and Bautril 5%. She was also given Miratazapina, a topical cream for ear mites. She did begin to respond favourably but still had no appetite. Yesterday, an ultrasound was performed and her large intestine showed inflammation. Thus, the diagnosis of IBD. The vet has prescribed a hydrolyzed protein diet of kibble which I don't think is a very good solution for managing her condition. I feel the better solution would be diet modification to help her gut begin to heal. Would probiotics help? What type of diet should she be on? Sourcing organic meat here is a challenge (I live in Merida Mexico) Should it be a raw diet? I don't think grains of any sort should form part of her diet and commercial cat kibble (which she loves) contains all kinds of stuff I don't think belongs in a proper cat diet. Is there information already available on the HA website where I can get some guidance? Thanks

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Bonnie!

It's great to see you here!!

How's the weather now in Merida Mexico? I crave hot and humid this time of the year in CT...
The vet has prescribed a hydrolyzed protein diet of kibble which I don't think is a very good solution for managing her condition.
I agree (it's not the best option IMHO).
I feel the better solution would be diet modification to help her gut begin to heal. Would probiotics help? What type of diet should she be on?
Maybe start with species appropriate one and the gut protocols at Adored Beast. Felix's Flora to start:

Is there information already available on the HA website where I can get some guidance?
Tons! Start perhaps with Cornell Vet internist Dr. Marnin Forman's IBD webinar then move on the one with Julie Anne Lee. Both from IBD month last year.

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Dr Jeff. Actually, not that hot and humid in Merida as we are dealing with rainy weather, high winds and chilly (by Merida standards) temperatures. Unfortunately, I cannot get any Adored Beast or any other product like that sent to me here in Merida. Yucatan customs would confiscate it. I will, however see if anything like Adored beast products are available here. Thank you for the additional info. I did not know where to start looking on the HA website.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
If Visbiome is available they have great human and vet products:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom