• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

How to treat stress for my Indoor/outdoor cat that will have to stay inside while I’m on a 5 day vacation

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
I have two cats: one is an indoor cat, and the other, Junior, is an indoor/outdoor cat. I’ll be out of town for five days. My cat sitter can stay overnight for three days, and another person will drop in for the first two days.

Junior is very attached to going outside. However, I’ve decided not to let him out while I’m away because I’m concerned about his safety since I won’t be around to check on him and he brings in fleas, as he won’t let the cat sitter flea comb him. Also I don’t want to stress while I’m away. While he has a catio to enjoy, I know he will be stressed and upset, meowing frequently due to the change in routine.

For the first two days, there won’t be anyone here except for the brief visits to drop off food, so I’m particularly worried about how he’ll handle the disruption. I’ve arranged for the cat sitter to give him Stress Stopper, but I’m looking for additional recommendations to help him cope. This decision is mostly for my peace of mind, but I know it will be challenging for him.

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

@Dr. Barbara @Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Jeff

IMG_8570.jpeg

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
He'll be fine for a few days. Nobody will be there to listen to him so he won't be crying (that's something cats do with people, not other cats). If your sitters can do some interactive play with him, that will help with boredom. Play Therapy | Little Big Cat - Dr. Jean Hofve

Maybe you could split the Stress Stopper with him and take some yourself while you're away? (Not entirely kidding... Flower essences were originally designed for humans. I often take Stress Stopper and Graceful Aging myself!)

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jean Hofve That’s funny! He will be bitter cheese that no one will be there to listen to him whine. I thought about that because he meows so much at me! I may take some myself. I need to work on my mindset that he will be okay and this is best for all of us. Thank you. I will ask the sitter to play with him if he will.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom