• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Hawthorn berries

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Dr. Sara said it may make an animal ill if given too much. Can you clarify?
I'd also love to hear more on @Dr. Sara's thinking about Hawthorn.

Here's the heart support with Hawthorn etc. that I mentioned last night:

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Herbalists describe herbs as 'food like / extremely safe', 'moderately safe', 'powerful with likely side effects if overdosed' an 'toxic, use with extreme caution'. Hawthorn leaves, flowers, and fruit are in the 'moderately safe' category, and can cause intestinal upset. Hawthorn extracts can also potentiate the effects of digitalis, antihypertensives, and beta blockers. I recommend specific doses, of products that I know to be safe, in specific situations for a particular individual.

There are many products that have been produced with high quality herbs, with the dose carefully adjusted for animal safety. They are also plenty of poorly produced extracts. Herbal medicines are material medicines, so they have material effects on the body. Simply because a product is natural does not mean that it is perfectly safe. Many people conflate the two, and I have had numerous clients bring bags of supplements in that are excessive in dose, contradictory in action, or suspect in origin.
Stay well,
Dr. Sara

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for the important clarification about Hawthorn and all supplements Sara.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Thanks Dr. Sara, for a brilliant explanation! We ought to post that somewhere prominent!

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in, since I considered hawthorn for my own congestive heart failure--and decided against it (too many adverse drug interactions). Hawthorn's actions are mainly related to heart disease that humans are prone to, with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc.--which would not apply to most dogs.

Grade 2 (out of 6) may very well be an "innocent murmur"--no pathology or problems associated with it. This is especially true with young dogs. But if you're concerned, an echocardiogram is the best tool to get an accurate diagnosis. We don't want to treat a problem that may not even exist!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom