• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Food calories for syringe feeding?

ChristinaP

Registered
Hello, I was told to feed Cappuccine (now 5.5 lbs, down from original weight of 8 lbs) ground cooked turkey and turkey baby food, blended. I don't know how much to give her as a goal for the day. It is her first day without a feeding tube. It was causing so many problems, which is why I decided to transition..I will have a friend, who owns a cat shelter, show me how to do it all. I just need to know what the caloric goal should be. Is that something you can help me with, or should I go to the vet (I think they would only know about canned food). Thank you for your help.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for the great question Christine!

Congratulations on getting the feeding tube out. Good work!!

Yes, definitely ask your vet internist and family vet.

My answer would be to feed her small frequent amounts totalling at least 250 calories/day.

However the total needs to be enough to meet her individual needs and gradually gain weight.

Perhaps even weigh her every day to make sure that she is gaining based on how much you are feeding.

I believe that cooked turkey is about 45 cal/ounce.

@Dr. Jean Hofve probably has some great feeding tips,

ChristinaP

Registered
Thanks for the great question Christine!

Congratulations on getting the feeding tube out. Good work!!

Yes, definitely ask your vet internist and family vet.

My answer would be to feed her small frequent amounts totalling at least 250 calories/day.

However the total needs to be enough to meet her individual needs and gradually gain weight.

Perhaps even weigh her every day to make sure that she is gaining based on how much you are feeding.

I believe that cooked turkey is about 45 cal/ounce.

@Dr. Jean Hofve probably has some great feeding tips,
Thank you...but it was a matter of the tube just not doing anything for her and her lack of comfort. She vomited the food we gave her by tube, she didn't vomit food that she ate on her own. She is really underweight, has circulating toxins, and well, she is still very sick but hopeful that I will help her recover. God, help me!!!

ChristinaP

Registered
Thank you...but it was a matter of the tube just not doing anything for her and her lack of comfort. She vomited the food we gave her by tube, she didn't vomit food that she ate on her own. She is really underweight, has circulating toxins, and well, she is still very sick but hopeful that I will help her recover. God, help me!!!
Also...for homeopathic remedies, I am hearing widely varying times on when to give before/after eating and drinking. Is there a general time? Is it case-by-case?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question!!

20-30 minutes is plenty of time to separate from eating.

ChristinaP

Registered
Hello again,

Another question: Anthony William has stressed the importance of not using alcohol in tinctures because of what he said is the negative impact on the liver. What are your thoughts about this? Do I need to be extra careful, even if the alcohol amount is small, since Cappuccine has liver disease? Thank you.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
You might check to see if the remedies you are using have any alcohol at all in them. Most times, remedies have perhaps a drop or three in an ounce or more of water, which might not be a significant amount. In any case, the liver can easily neutralize the tiny amount - that's what it does, and it doesn't suffer in the process....Of course, were you to purchase vials of undissolved pellets you need not use alcohol at all - it's merely a preservative, and a very effective one. One hears of bottles of remedies from the 1800s which are still potent...

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Make the food nice and mushy just like for the feeding tube, so her tummy doesn't have to make any adjustments.

I wouldn't worry about the 20% of alcohol in a tincture, 20% of a drop or two is insignificant, but you can dilute it in a bit of water for extra safety.

I forget if you are using Standard Process Livaplex, but a pinch of that in the food would be super for her liver.

ChristinaP

Registered
Make the food nice and mushy just like for the feeding tube, so her tummy doesn't have to make any adjustments.

I wouldn't worry about the 20% of alcohol in a tincture, 20% of a drop or two is insignificant, but you can dilute it in a bit of water for extra safety.

I forget if you are using Standard Process Livaplex, but a pinch of that in the food would be super for her liver.
Thank you so much for responding!!! We are just ecstatic that she is eating some food from our fingers and tolerating the syringed baby food we are giving her.

I am going to add cooked ground turkey to the baby food. Any advice on cooking it would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to make it so hot that the nutrients disappear.

We are giving her milk thistle and Animal Essentials Detox Blend...which she is completely tolerating! Also, licopodium/chelidonium/3 combo.

We and she have felt so peaceful since her feeding tube was removed. It set her back so much. Lessons learned by us, no help from the vet here. I decided to just go to the vet Friday and have them remove it, and it was the best decision I made in 8 weeks! She has not vomited once since the removal, nor have we given her any cerenia! Tomorrow, we will receive 4Life Transfer Factor and Seacure for more calories. We give her sub-q fluids and 1x week B12 shots. Still looking for a compounding pharmacy in MI that carries glutathione injectable.I am cautiously optimistic ?

Last edited:

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Great news!! I wouldn't add more turkey yet, you'll never get it fine enough to go through the syringe. Maybe she will eat that fed by hand. She needs other nutrients beyond just meat, so baby food is enough for that. Transfer factor is great. Milk thistle is fine so don't need Livaplex. That will work. I know people resist it, but Hill's a/d is made almost entirely from liver, has plenty of fat, and an abundance of balanced nutrients. If you can get some of that in her, it will go a long way since it's super high in calories too. It's the only Hlil's product I have ever used but I couldn't be a cat vet without it!

ChristinaP

Registered
Great news!! I wouldn't add more turkey yet, you'll never get it fine enough to go through the syringe. Maybe she will eat that fed by hand. She needs other nutrients beyond just meat, so baby food is enough for that. Transfer factor is great. Milk thistle is fine so don't need Livaplex. That will work. I know people resist it, but Hill's a/d is made almost entirely from liver, has plenty of fat, and an abundance of balanced nutrients. If you can get some of that in her, it will go a long way since it's super high in calories too. It's the only Hlil's product I have ever used but I couldn't be a cat vet without it!
Again, thank you so much for all your comments and suggestions! I will cook some and see if she eats it by hand. She does eat some chicken wet kitten food by hand, and it has the various chicken organs, including the heart and liver. Chicken isn't ideal because of inflammation, but it was the only food she would accept by hand or eating on her own.

I will check out A/D! In your experience, have cats generally accepted it, even go for it?
Gratefully,
Christina

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Yes, a/d is usually a big hit with kitties! It's a life-saver at least in the short term, though I wouldn't feed any Hill's food longer than necessary. It's pricey... sometimes requires a prescription but if pet store gives you a hard time I will call it in for you, I feel that strongly about it!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
so glad the feeding tube is out, Christina.
Are you working with a homeopathic vet by phone? I can't remember.
You may want to get some PDG from Wysong.net. It is a powder and a lot of cats do like it. the only problem is it comes in a huge container since it is to help dogs and cats build back weight. You could try adding some to any mixture you do and see if she likes it.

Dr. Christina

ChristinaP

Registered
Yes, a/d is usually a big hit with kitties! It's a life-saver at least in the short term, though I wouldn't feed any Hill's food longer than necessary. It's pricey... sometimes requires a prescription but if pet store gives you a hard time I will call it in for you, I feel that strongly about it!
Wow!!!! I am so grateful to you, for this, and for all your feedback! Thank you! ? ❤️?

ChristinaP

Registered
so glad the feeding tube is out, Christina.
Are you working with a homeopathic vet by phone? I can't remember.
You may want to get some PDG from Wysong.net. It is a powder and a lot of cats do like it. the only problem is it comes in a huge container since it is to help dogs and cats build back weight. You could try adding some to any mixture you do and see if she likes it.

Dr. Christina
Hello! I am also so glad and relieved! My friend, who has been helping me with Cappuccine, and I were talking about getting the tube removed (before we went to the vet). The most extraordinary thing happened: For the first time in over 8 weeks, Cappuccine began batting a ball around. Katia said, " lShr knows her tube is going to be removed."

I am working with Dr Loops and July Berin. You suggested getting in touch with Gail Pope, and I did. She isn't back to the practice yet, but she passed on a message to me to contact July asap, say it is urgent and that she sent me. July contacted me almost immediately afterwards, and now we talk every day. I felt that God sent her to me and Cappuccine as a lifeline, and you played a big role in that. Thank you, thank you, thank you ? ❤️?

Last edited:

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Excellent! so glad you have that support.
And stay on top of Dr. Loops - maybe making weekly appointments.
Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom