• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Ferral cat

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
I took a ferral cat it and it bit me hard 3 different times, twice when I was petting it and once when I was trying to keep it out of the bedroom. I got the cat shots and he needs a second booster, but I'm too afraid to get him in the crate for fear he will bite me again as his bites can be HARD!! I am now feeding him outside. Any ideas? I'm not sure what to do with him. thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about the bites Kathy.

Yes, feral (or any) cats may suddenly object to petting (if they even let you pet them) and when hands come near them.

Perhaps just give him space, continue to emit loving thoughts and practice the Reiki meditation methods that Kathleen Prasad discusses in the webinars which are available right now in the HA! member resource area.

@Dr. Jean Hofve and @Dr. Christina may have other ideas to help.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
You do not need to worry about getting the distemper boosters. A feral has built a lot of great immunity to feline distemper.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Kathy, when was the first rabies shot given?

Ideally talk with your vet and regular doc/ER sometime this weekend if possible.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I would be more concerned with deep bites on you! Having had the pleasure of 5 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics for a deep cat bite, I would strongly encourage you to have it looked at by your doctor.

For the cat, perhaps your local shelter or animal control will loan you a live trap so you can get him corralled without touching. Throw a towel over it, and you have a carrier!

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
The cat bite was last week, but he bit me on the foot again and that was yesterday. I don't seem to have any symptoms right now after putting antibiotic cream on it. The rabies vaccine was a day before I got bit. Would you still recommend me going to the doctor?

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you so much for your advice, Dr. Jeff and Dr. Christina!

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Curious to know if you would recommend a tetunus as I'm not sure when I last got one. Thank you!

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Don't think tetanus is an issue. Sounds like your immune system is doing great, but try hot-packing or hot-soaking (Epsom salts if you have them, and maybe a few drops of Traumeel) any new bites! *Any* sign of infection (heat, pain, redness, swelling) would be best checked by doc. As a feline vet I got badly bitten several times but only the one was a problem, it punctured my hand right to the bone. Homeopathically, Ledum might be helpful, or Silicea. What think ye, homeopaths of the list?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Kathy-

Dr. Jean makes an important point that a cat bite reaction is more likely than distemper or rabies.

Your best bet might be to decide what to do about the tetanus booster or other care along with your regular doc.

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you both! I feel better knowing that it's normal for strays to bite. My bites are doing pretty good and have mostly healed so I'm grateful for that too. I am probably going to try to rehome the cat or foster it until it gets adopted out. He really is a handsome cat and very loving but too much petting makes him bite. one of my friends who has taken in a number of strays and ferral cats told me that anti depressant medications might be able to help. I gave him some gabapentin the other day and that calmed him right down. I have him about 100 mg.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom