• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Dog fight

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
My new 70 lb rescue and my 25 lb frenchbull dog got into a fight. The little one definitely started it, but no matter he is also the one who got his ear bit. I'm managing the ear fine, but he is also seems to be a little shallow in his breathing. We had just gone on a decent walk and everyone was a bit hot so had drunk some water (I think there was some resource guarding of the water happening). The little one threw up a few times and was breathing as if very hot. I gave him a cool water rinse while cleaning the ear. And while his breathing has improved it's still a little shallow. I was thinking maybe fluid in the lungs because there is no sign of any injury to the lungs or even neck. I called urgent care (who is full). They said because he's a frenchie he is prone to pneumonia and recommend I go to the ER. My guess is they will just put him on antibiotics. I tried some TTouch and Bensgton Method, neither have his breathing back to normal. Any suggestions? Also, any guidance on timeline before I should definitely get him checked out? This happened about an hour or so ago.

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
First video was about 10 minutes after it happened. Second is now.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
have you checked gum color? Capillary refill time?
Ability to walk? Eat?
Heart rate? Rectal temperature?

I cannot imagine pneumonia or fluid in the lungs, though possible of course.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sorry about the altercation July (just one more thing...).

How's your adorable Frenchie's BEAM?

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
His gums are pink. Where do I check the capillary refill time on, his ear, his pad? He has taken a couple treats, but he has also spit some out. Not really appetitive. He can walk just fine, but mostly wants to rest. I haven't checked his heart rate or temperature, but can do that now. While he is mostly at rest, his breathing is still a bit labored, like it is when he's hot. Admittedly it is a tad hot today, but he's normally panting if breathing like this, which he isn't.

His BEAM is definitely different, but hard to say if it's just emotional trauma or physical.
View attachment VID20230904162956.mp4

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
Behavior is normal I think.
Energy is lethargic.
Appetite, hit or miss on treats. Haven't fed dinner yet
Mood is a calm, which he is sometimes, but not usually on a sunny day when I'm home. But I can touch him fine, even his ear, but he's not really rolling over to give his belly as he usually would when he's sleeping and I come up on him.

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
I just gave him a freeze dried animal part and he's doing the normal run around excitedly with it in his mouth, but hasn't started eating it. He just keeps looyat me and breathing a little heavy with it in him mouth.

Tried a second one he normally chows down. He took it, but then put it down and went to lay down across the room.

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
He started chewing the animal part after I did some ear work on the good size. But now it looks like he may have an abscess in the hurt ear. At least it's swelling behind the cut, I think that's what an abscess is. I cleaned it with soap and peroxide best I could. Will try some silver hydrosol now. Is there a recommendation for that?

IMG20230904165313.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey July!
Will try some silver hydrosol now. Is there a recommendation for that?
Perhaps first gently swab and dry the moist part of the ear with peroxide and then organic corn starch (to dry it).

Spraying or applying a few drops of silver twice/day is fine though the peroxide is also a great antiseptic.

CRT (capillary refill time) is checked by pushing any spot on his normally pink gums until it turns whit. Then remove your finger to see how fast the pink color returns.

That's a great test for oxygenation (which you can see in the color of the gums) and for blood flow (as seen by a normal refill < 2 secs).

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
Mutsu, my Frenchie is doing better. His breathing didn't reset to normal until the following morning, but has been fine since. I have been able to get the abscess down too, though still not completely normal.

At this point I know I need to settle nerves around it and it happening again, but it being more than an ear. Muzzle training the new dog now and looking at trainings to get the little dog to a better place where he isn't picking fights with dogs that can kill him (or any dogs or cats for that matter).

So far I've been using a lot of flower essences, but tension is still high.

Thank you for all the support.

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
Hey July!

Perhaps first gently swab and dry the moist part of the ear with peroxide and then organic corn starch (to dry it).

Spraying or applying a few drops of silver twice/day is fine though the peroxide is also a great antiseptic.

CRT (capillary refill time) is checked by pushing any spot on his normally pink gums until it turns whit. Then remove your finger to see how fast the pink color returns.

That's a great test for oxygenation (which you can see in the color of the gums) and for blood flow (as seen by a normal refill < 2 secs).
Thank you! That info was just what I needed to treat the wound. Also, I believe the arnica is what settled his breathing.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
wonderful!
Great demonstration of BEAM and patience.

Maybe animal communicator?
Safe Space essence may be good.
Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom