• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Do herbs have estrogenic activity to trigger bleeding in unspayed dog

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I was trying to think about what factors could have caused Blossom to have breakthrough bleeding or another heat cycle so soon after her June heat. I started to give her an adrenal supplement from a holistic vet containing the following: I understand licorice for one, is estrogenic and for fertility and also for relief in menopause. She started this a week before the bleeding. Previously she was on standard process canine adrenal powder for a few months. On blood testing for resting cortisol her level did go from a 2.0 to 3.8, which was better. She possibly has slowly developing addisons but we don't know yet. Her ACTH was normal but if you read it holistically, the "normal level" she attained post ACTH stimulation was stinking low. So could this be a possibility, I was thinking specifically for licorice.

Adrenal (bovine), Adrenal Caps™ Proprietary Herb Activators Eleuthero (Eleutherococcus senticosus) (root), Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) (root), Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica) (aerial), Clove (Syzgium aromaticum) (flower), Vegetable Cellulose Capsule and ConcenTrace® AC Powder.​

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yup. Some of these supplements can have hormonal affects.

That's one of the reasons that HA! focuses on energetic actions (like homeopathy) and not physiological ones (like supplements).

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Yup. Some of these supplements can have hormonal affects.

That's one of the reasons that HA! focuses on energetic actions (like homeopathy) and not physiological ones (like supplements).
I think this is my hunch about what is going on and why. I might also add I have been working with a homeo path, but there has been no difference in her medical situation. I am told to give one dose a month or forever, but it does not seem to be working. So I’m a little disappointed on that front because this is my third experience with homeopathy using this kind of approach give one dose and wait. So that’s why I kind of gave up on the homeopathy already I should add that on the adrenal support. Blossom’s resting cortisol went up from a 2 to 3.8 which is good. Her resting cortisol at two was too low I thought before the adrenal support, the homeo path is also not been around for about two weeks so it is difficult to get a response. I think I will go back to the canine adrenal powder from standard process since she seem to be OK with that. Thank you so much I know in a spayed dog it might not Make a difference, but with an intact dog, it may have spiked her estrogen

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Who is your homeopathic vet?
Usually we do not say to give a remedy forever.
Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom