• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Digestive enzyme not for any particular condition

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I would like to know what a good digestive enzyme would be--powder preferred without a taste to it. I have used Vet Zimes V1 by Ness for many years and now having trouble getting it, maybe discontinued. Is there another enzyme that is just a basic one, not necessarily for any condition that I can add to each meal? I do not buy off amazon for such things but go directly to the company or I think VetRx direct was suggested a few years ago. Thanks

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
a good digestive enzyme
How about this one:

LilF

Community Member
Registered
How about this one:

I read the ingredients and don't like all the extra stuff like Lecithin -- soy? Taurine and glutamine (I have heard good and bad things about glutamine---use for a condition is ok but she doesn't need it daily--messes with blood sugar or other things that are working fine) I avoid soy at all costs as it is also a PUFA which destroys mitochondria. I just wanted a formula with the protease, lipase, amylase and cellulase--pretty basic only. Sometimes companies start adding this and that which I feel upsets the dog's balance. when it is working just fine on its own...Just wanted something to digest the fats, carbs and cellulose---fiber. Is there any brand anymore out there that is just basic. Are there any other ones out there people are using?

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Well this is frustrating to find a basic digestive enzyme. Bark and Whiskers has one for dogs who eat kibble (will have to email them on THAT one as to where is the one for the other fresh food/raw fed dogs?) There is animal essentials another disappointment with calcium sulfate---admittedly not for dogs with heart or kidney problems, but still do not want to add calcium sulfate as I do not know the source. Why the heck do they put stuff in these products that are objectionable to some. Too many ingredients. Then there is the Four leaf Rover choice, not bad I suppose considering the rest of the choices that are overkill and add everything but the kitchen sink. I liked the Vet Zimes as they only had the enzymes to break down the food--- naturvet, supposedly one of the top products has maltodextrin as the first ingredient.....Doesn't anyone out there feed their dogs enzymes with their food? Maybe this would be a useful topic for a webinar since nutrition and absorption of nutrients are important to health and balance. I am a minimalist when it comes to additions in products that companies add which are totally unnecessary.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Well, Adored Beast has a nice one: "Healthy Gut". Curious as to why you think she would benefit from an enzyme product, rather than a probiotic blend, of which there are quite a few, or one that contains both aspects. Raw food contains its own enzymes, too, and I am a minimalist as regards the adequacy of a balanced meat, etc. diet.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great suggestion Nancy!

I love many of Maria and Phil's products at Pet Health and Nutrition Center, and had forgotten about this one.

NancyK

Community Member
Registered
Great suggestion Nancy!

I love many of Maria and Phil's products at Pet Health and Nutrition Center, and had forgotten about this one.

They also have a digestive enzymes product, however it includes a probiotic as well.

Nancy

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Well, Adored Beast has a nice one: "Healthy Gut". Curious as to why you think she would benefit from an enzyme product, rather than a probiotic blend, of which there are quite a few, or one that contains both aspects. Raw food contains its own enzymes, too, and I am a minimalist as regards the adequacy of a balanced meat, etc. diet.
I have fed both probiotics (when needed or occasionally) and digestive enzymes in every meal to break down the food. Right now I am giving her the Adored Beast probiotic--The Wolf now, and previously this year Fido's Flora. I do also try and put in fresh organs---she just finished a package of chicken hearts and I buy some ground beef now with the organs ground into it. I also feed her raw Steve's or Primal as a base. I also have raw kidney and beef heart and beef liver in the freezer which I add sometimes. So I guess technically I do not need an enzyme product. I feed her raw goat milk so she probably gets probiotics there (Maybe I am wasting my money when she seems to be getting probiotics and enzymes in her food. Recently I found a cooperative that is very very clean with their products. Today I fed her the chicken broth that I bought for myself and she loves the stuff from this new coop I found. She also gets their eggs which are low PUFA and no corn or soy...Other eggs she gets diarrhea with but not these. I also bought her the raw chicken chub from there with the organs in it for the enzymes. Thanks for pointing this all out.... She is getting more than i realized and probably sufficient. if she were on a kibble diet she probably would need a supplement but for now, she gets fresh additions.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I feed raw beef and pork pancreas. I feel that animals in nature get digestive enzymes by eating pancreas so I try to mimic that. If you do not have access to pancreas, you could try freeze dried pancreas.

Pancreas Glandular for Dogs and Cats
Thank you Nancy and all----light bulb went off that Blossom does get organs in her food and probiotics in the mild she drinks. So maybe an occasional probiotic to diversify her gut bacteria may still be helpful. With this dog, unlike the others, I try to not do everything everyday. ie. same supplements unless she needs them like right now I feed collagen twice a day and she has accelerated her joint healing noticeably.

NancyK

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Nancy and all----light bulb went off that Blossom does get organs in her food and probiotics in the mild she drinks. So maybe an occasional probiotic to diversify her gut bacteria may still be helpful. With this dog, unlike the others, I try to not do everything everyday. ie. same supplements unless she needs them like right now I feed collagen twice a day and she has accelerated her joint healing noticeably.
Since I feed raw, I thought it naturally has lots of enzymes, however my dogs are getting to be very old and I have heard that sometimes they produce less enzymes as they age. I have never given probiotics or enzymes, however I should probably have some on hand for digestive upsets anyway. These don't happen too often but do occasionally, usually when mom overdoes something or introduces something new too quickly.

I was considering adding collagen as well. I currently use elk antler velvet, egg shell membrane and beef trachea. Do you have a brand of collagen to recommend?

Thank you,
Nancy

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Since I feed raw, I thought it naturally has lots of enzymes, however my dogs are getting to be very old and I have heard that sometimes they produce less enzymes as they age. I have never given probiotics or enzymes, however I should probably have some on hand for digestive upsets anyway. These don't happen too often but do occasionally, usually when mom overdoes something or introduces something new too quickly.

I was considering adding collagen as well. I currently use elk antler velvet, egg shell membrane and beef trachea. Do you have a brand of collagen to recommend?

Thank you,
Nancy
Hi Nancy
I am using Dr. Karen Becker's product, Bark and Whiskers Collagen. Blossom gets a scoop in each meal which meets the amount per day for her weight. I also think though, since Blossom does not drink water at all, I am going to also include more bone broth (beef and chicken) which I get from Nourish Cooperative in MI which contains rich collagen in natural form. She would not drink the Primal bone broth anymore after a while for some reason when I fed it 2 years ago. Speaking of occasional stomach upsets, Blossom vomited bile one morning over the weekend so yes, sometimes overdoing things or starting something too fast is a very "colorful" wake up call. I guess this is where the food diary comes in which lately has been just up in my head and not on paper..... It is funny how we cannot feed a dog the same thing their whole life like some people I know who are then surprised the dog cannot tolerate it anymore. Feeding an old pet is a learning curve and we have to flex and bend and pay attention to what they find palatable and digestible.

NancyK

Community Member
Registered
Hi Nancy
I am using Dr. Karen Becker's product, Bark and Whiskers Collagen. Blossom gets a scoop in each meal which meets the amount per day for her weight. I also think though, since Blossom does not drink water at all, I am going to also include more bone broth (beef and chicken) which I get from Nourish Cooperative in MI which contains rich collagen in natural form. She would not drink the Primal bone broth anymore after a while for some reason when I fed it 2 years ago. Speaking of occasional stomach upsets, Blossom vomited bile one morning over the weekend so yes, sometimes overdoing things or starting something too fast is a very "colorful" wake up call. I guess this is where the food diary comes in which lately has been just up in my head and not on paper..... It is funny how we cannot feed a dog the same thing their whole life like some people I know who are then surprised the dog cannot tolerate it anymore. Feeding an old pet is a learning curve and we have to flex and bend and pay attention to what they find palatable and digestible.

Thanks so much. I recently introduced duck necks for some RMB variety and these are not going well at all! Therefore, eliminating them for now. Mine usually bounce back after a couple days of bland diet and slippery elm. Anyway, I think it is good to try new things even though all of what I try may not work. Otherwise, I feel I get lazy and feed the same thing every day which is not good. Anyway we are having a couple bland days and hopefully all is well soon.

Thanks for the collagen recommendation. I will check it out.

Nancy

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
And we use Step Above collagen, in a huge and economical jar. I haven't found another pet product which is so cost-effective and easy. He gets a big scoop every day.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Do you have a brand of collagen to recommend?

LilF

Community Member
Registered
is this one also for humans? I thought this company produces products for humans as I seem to remember taking a choline powder from them....

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes! It is "designed" for people.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom