• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Diagnosis: Hyperthyroid but no symptoms during daily life? Integrative Approach / I-131 QS

ElenaB

Registered
Hi all,

Greetings from a very small village in the mountains, in Spain. Please bear with any typos, I am not English-native speaker, and not using GPT ;)
I have found -and joined- your forum and I'd like to know what your opinion is regarding the following.

We took our cats - both neutered- for routine checks to our vet, in a small city here. I asked them to include thyroid since they are turning 11. No symptoms of any kind, at least, obvious ones, in neither. One was fine. The other cat - Nimba's- total T4 high. They put lot of pressure on us to start medication with the -zole ones right away:

Captura de pantalla 2024-02-26 a las 19.40.50.png

We took Nimba to the big city and big vet hospital for second check, like 10 days after. Nimba was having hard time after 1 hour and 30 minutes in a van, and she hates that. They said she has hypertension and that it was too high even if she was stressed because of the trip. She got an ultrasound, everything fine except little enlargement of thyroids. I asked what score, they couldn't say in those terms, here's a snapshot of the ultrasound report where they mention the thyroid glands: Captura de pantalla 2024 02 26 a las 19 19 59 — Postimages

They sent all the blood samples to their own specialized partner lab. Lots of stuff checked, thyroid and other viruses, parasites...
Today they have called me to confirm hyperthyroidism on the blood tests (fT4, TSH...). See here:

Now, we have undergone an intense period of learning in the meantime. We discard -zole medication, for we prefer curing than 'masking and adding further problems, plus monthly stress. It's a no for us. At the same time, she "seems" fine. She is Russian blue, though not pure breed. She's been overweight always forever, but she's lost some kilo in 2023 (she was 5.8 kilo a year ago and now she is 4.8) but I've credited to the fact it was me actually controlling grams, max daily 60 grams for a year already.

Right after coming from that long stressful trip from Valencia's hospital, 'something' kept insisting I should change water. They've always drank mineral water, but during last year 2023 and part of this one, we shifted to tap water, I thought it was going to be good, being not in the city. But I started to notice that in the glass recipient, there was lots of waste accumulating, and even rosy color sometimes. I myself shifted to tap water, so did my husband. I noticed thirst all the time. And I started to wonder -but did nothing- whether our tap water is good, or whether they are chlorinating it or adding fluoride in massive amounts, or who knows what. Even being in a rural area. Or who knows, pesticides...I don't know.

So after that second intensive visit to the big hospital, I got home and changed the water back to mineral water. I noticed my own enhancement and Nimba started to go to the water glass bowl a little less - because it's true that for the last 12 months approx she's drinking more than some years ago.

She eats Farmina, typically lamb + blueberries or duck + pumpkin, she won't like BARF or stuff I've tried hard. Only that OR some creamy stuff only with natural ingredients from Catit.

Now, we don't know whether we should request the I-131 treatment (typically 2-3 month waiting list, in Madrid...like 300 kms from here. A vet trained by Mark Peterson on this) - we rule out the -zole treatments, that's a decision. The thing is that after changing water, we also had her have Reiki and she still seems fine.

The doctor says that it's precisely now that she is not showing really overt clinical symptoms when we should go for I-131 (they don't do it, it's just 2 centers in Spain: BCN and Madrid). At the same time, we are going to check her blood pressure with some stuff I've bought from Amazon (to avoid further weekly trips on car to the closest vet center), and a scale to check weight changes. We have decided to do this for the following 2 months, and in the meantime I wonder if we should go for homeopathic treatment and see. But we don't have any homeopathic experienced doctor anywhere.

On other realms, like the emotional part their dis-eases tell about their human counterparts: we are working - the humans- on our own stuff. Seeing what this situation tells about us. Because we know they reflect, they are messengers for the human about our human blockages. We are working on that.

But at this other level of pure body, chemical balance, and body dimension...we'd like to know whether it'd be good to wait and see for 2-3 months, get a new thyroid check and if still growing...then initiate the whole I-131 process or start the procedure request now, because it still requires waiting for our turn approx 2 months...what do you think. And during these months, go for homeopathic (I'll add Bach too) and see how it evolves.

In the end, we'll be the ones deciding, but sharing is caring...and learning. The Universe is bringing another lesson and part of it it's that I may not be reactive to allopathic, nor homeopathic. Nothing. At the same time, they feel Life processes differently, if they had wanted to fly or get cured our way, they would have built planes or hospitals, so I am also summing that factor into the whole decision process. But I do know that I-131 if done well and with the desired amount of fortune too, can revert the situation.

It's tough though. And we are against it. It's just whether this is good timing or we should wait to see if it gets "worse" or maybe not.

Sorry for the long story. I appreciate your time reading this. And I hope I added this post to the right place!
MUCHAS GRACIAS
Elena
Some recent pictures. Meet Nimba, a truly character.

photo_5956158155744460565_y.jpgphoto_5974402932004732872_y.jpgphoto_5971869884847604479_y.jpg

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I am so terribly impressed by this post that I am replying with absolutely no professional credentials to back up my thoughts. That said, the l-131 approach seems to me to be rather much at this time. You have already changed the water - very important for you all - and have her on a reasonably good diet. I think that what I would advocate at this time is homeopathic treatment, by a long-distance practitioner - this is quite common and effective. Any of the names you find on this site would be a good start. What matters in homeopathy is a careful look at all symptoms, habits, presentation, etc., and so it can work well by observation and description. Treatment can help her body normalize her thyroid function - it won't take much change to make a difference for her, and will be far kinder and less disruptive than l-131. If necessary later, you can go to a more aggressive approach. But to adjust her entire systemic picture restores her basic nature and allows normal function to redevelop - and this is the best possible goal, no?
Carry on with your careful and loving approach; you are amazing:)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hola Elena!

Bienvenida a HA!

Gracias por hacer tu primer asombrosa post!! ? ? :snowman::snowman:

Nimba es hermosa.???

start the procedure request now, because it still requires waiting for our turn approx 2 months...what do you think. And during these months, go for homeopathic (I'll add Bach too) and see how it evolves.
That's exactly what I was going to say!

You can work with a trained vet homeopath anywhere in the world.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hi Elena!

Here's what I know about hyperthyroidism in kitties: Feline Hyperthyroidism | Little Big Cat - Dr. Jean Hofve

Just so you're aware, a trial of methimazole will almost certainly be required before getting I-131. It isn't safe to just go in and fry the thyroid without knowing what lowering the level of hormone will do. Sometimes it will uncover a kidney issue or some other reason why radiation would be unwise. Usually just a few weeks on the meds will be enough.

If the thyroid level is borderline, it's probably safe to wait a while, but it does need to be treated. Heart failure, high blood pressure, and blindness can result if the thyroid level is too high for too long.

I know that some homeopaths have had success treating these cats, but in general things like herbs and supplements don't control it. Just stay on top of it with regular blood tests!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, hyperthyroidism, like every chronic dis-ease, needs to be closely monitored.

A good way to do this at home is what you've already started doing Elena. That is weekly (or even more often) weighing.

It is also helpful to track resting respiratory rate and heart rate. The former is pretty straightforward (count the visible breaths).

For tracking heart rate though you either place your hand on Nimba's chest (behind her left elbow) or by using a stethoscope (inexpensive ones for home use are usually easily available).

Your vet can show you how to use it, but basically you can just touch the flat part to the chest (behind left elbow) and listen and count. You might even be able to pick up a heart murmur.

Yes, as Dr. Jean pointed out, a trial of methimazole is often indication prior to radioactive iodine therapy. This can be used to quickly reduce thyroid levels and also can be used along with homeopathic treatment.

Personally, I ask guardians to track BEAM, EWS, weight, heart rate, respiratory rate, and other symptoms like vomiting, grooming, etc. while also monitoring t4 (no need to do the whole thyroid panel every time) in response to homeopathic treatment.

Dr. Michelle Yasson is a US-based certified vet homeopathy who shared a great presentation (many years ago) at the Academy of Vet Homeopathy conference about treatment of hyperthyroidism in kitties.

Lots of other vet homeopaths can work with you and your adorable kitty to help her live her best life.

There's also lots of thyroid and heart (and kidney) info. in your member area. It can all be helpful in your care for Nimba over her next decade or so of life...

ElenaB

Registered
Hi Elena!

Here's what I know about hyperthyroidism in kitties: Feline Hyperthyroidism | Little Big Cat - Dr. Jean Hofve

Just so you're aware, a trial of methimazole will almost certainly be required before getting I-131. It isn't safe to just go in and fry the thyroid without knowing what lowering the level of hormone will do. Sometimes it will uncover a kidney issue or some other reason why radiation would be unwise. Usually just a few weeks on the meds will be enough.

If the thyroid level is borderline, it's probably safe to wait a while, but it does need to be treated. Heart failure, high blood pressure, and blindness can result if the thyroid level is too high for too long.

I know that some homeopaths have had success treating these cats, but in general things like herbs and supplements don't control it. Just stay on top of it with regular blood tests!
Thank you @Dr. Jean Hofve ??
Definitely if we take her eventually to Madrid (they're called Iodocat, in case someone knows them and has some reference: very much welcome. edit: I have removed link), we'll follow the steps and if the methimazole is a must, we'll try. We have spent hundreds of euros in her last checks, we wanted the kidney to be tested, they've taken a sample of their urine. They said the would check DMSA, and it's apparently ok, I've posted the results above. Plus other kidney factors on blood sample looked ok.
As you say on your own article, indeed kidney might look good with T4 high because it's actually the high T4 making the kidney work ""ok"" when it's not.
Ain't hyperthyroid a pandora's box.
?

Last edited:

ElenaB

Registered
Thank you @Dr. Jeff
A good way to do this at home is what you've already started doing Elena. That is weekly (or even more often) weighing.
I can't wait to receive the scale. I'm living in some inner conflict now, like every day I don't advance in something, I feel like I am making it so worse. And I can sense what you are going to say: don't let you fall in that trap and be compassionate. I'm trying hard to keep a balance. I say to myself: look, it was an unexpected finding, the vet wasn't even going to include thyroid and it was because you said so. Maybe you would have realized later later on. You just found out 4 weeks ago! But ugh.
It is also helpful to track resting respiratory rate and heart rate. The former is pretty straightforward (count the visible breaths).

For tracking heart rate though you either place your hand on Nimba's chest (behind her left elbow) or by using a stethoscope (inexpensive ones for home use are usually easily available).

Your vet can show you how to use it, but basically you can just touch the flat part to the chest (behind left elbow) and listen and count. You might even be able to pick up a heart murmur.

Respiratory rate:
Do you happen to have a video or sound clip of what a heart murmur sounds like in cats? :)
I find she's breathing a bit faster than her mate, Princess. Even when resting. I've recorded her on my cellphone today. The problem is that I hadn't paid attention to her normal breathing pace when 'everything' was 'ok', so I could compare her breathing now to her breathing in the past, rather than 2 different beings. But I guess that's the standard: getting an average of different beings and benchmarking that. What's the standard breathing pace for a cat sleeping?

Yes, as Dr. Jean pointed out, a trial of methimazole is often indication prior to radioactive iodine therapy. This can be used to quickly reduce thyroid levels and also can be used along with homeopathic treatment.

Personally, I ask guardians to track BEAM, EWS, weight, heart rate, respiratory rate, and other symptoms like vomiting, grooming, etc. while also monitoring t4 (no need to do the whole thyroid panel every time) in response to homeopathic treatment.

Grooming: I find she's grooming a bit more than before. Nothing edgy or compulsive. Every time I would touch her, she cleans herself. She doesn't like human smell :D But now it's a tad more, touched or untouched.

Appetite: I find her eating more, and some other days not really, and it very much depends on the day and day hour. I am bit lost there. Like something I am missing. They use Surefeed, it opens only to each cat, depending on chip (...), the feeding plate is plastic (I have asked them whether BPA free to no success in answer), I changed it to their stainless steel version and they don't like it, I found that pattern of food left there if stainless steel is used. I would want to change to glass or plain clay plot but they don't fit in the Surefeed feeder and if I don't use these, I'm afraid I would lose control of who eats and how much.

Vomiting: not that I know of. But she comes and goes. And eats herbs outside to purge I guess. The only way to prevent this is to stop them from going outdoors, which I can't do. They are happy going out.
I am going to plant cat weed seeds and leave a pot next to their feeder, if I am a successful gardener. Maybe they prefer this over the ones in the fields.

Mood and attitude: I find her way more active during crepuscular and night hours than during day, still that was the case for the last years. But I found she's retreating herself at night too, when she used to sleep with me way more, or when she noticed I was awake she would detect that no matter the hour, she doesn't do that for the past months. I knew from the bottom of my soul that something was going with Nimba, I couldn't know what. You know, instinct is the language of our bodies and intuition the soul's. That might be...

Also she has more dilated pupils at night lately. And I feel she doesn't see my face when she approaches in bed to where I am. So those could be changes...
And she has some obsessive behavior with some towels in the restroom, and she suffers a lot every time we show affection to Princess. That's been the case for years, and I thought of Bach flowers, but I want to find ones without alcohol. Also for me and for everyone else since I truly think it's OUR case and not Nimba's case. I am not sure how to explain this.

Dr. Michelle Yasson is a US-based certified vet homeopathy who shared a great presentation (many years ago) at the Academy of Vet Homeopathy conference about treatment of hyperthyroidism in kitties.

Lots of other vet homeopaths can work with you and your adorable kitty to help her live her best life.

There's also lots of thyroid and heart (and kidney) info. in your member area. It can all be helpful in your care for Nimba over her next decade or so of life...

I'll search it, thank YOU de verdad.
And I will also contact some vet, it might be her or anyone, probably in Eastern coast, for the time zone difference.

Thank you everyone for existing
Elena

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom