• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Cat with wet hotspots

JaneM

Community Member
Registered
Dear Dr Christina, Dr Hoeve and Dr Jeff,

My Cat with hotspots and skin issues

Maigue

2 years and 4 months old (Born June 2022)

Female

Spayed at 6 months

Ex Colony feral (domestic shorthair)

4 kg

Energy and appetite very good. Likes to play and doesn’t sleep all day like my other cat, very happy when she is around general daily goings on. Likes to play with cat toys in her own way. She is alert and very affectionate. BEAM very good.

She has been on a raw diet from around 8 weeks.

Received vaccines - Tri-cat, plus Felv vaccine during her first 6 months including booster.

No other vaccines since.

Skin Symptoms began after she was spayed at 6 months.

Maigue reacted to the sutures from her spay procedure. Her vet called it a fatty tissue inflammatory response. She was put on antibiotics for this (Kesium). There was some drainage through the sutures. Wound healed and no further issues there.

At about 8 months, I noticed some scabby lesions in her ears.
The lesions in the ears came and went over the next year, then earlier this year (2024) I saw that on the outside of her left leg scabby lesions were forming. Her HomVet prescribed Folliculinum and symptom subsided. Then a month later appeared on the opposite leg, in the same spot only in reverse like a mirror image. The scabby spots were not bothering her, they were not itchy. Once the blister like pustules erupted, skin became dry and flaky and then healed.

At 1.5 years Maigue developed gingivitis and some of her teeth became covered in a grey coating.

We are now at the beginning of October 2024. At the end of August 2024 I found that Maigue had developed a wet hotspot on the inside of her right leg, in her armpit. I had noticed her doing a loud slobbery groom in that area, but by the time I realised what was causing it, the watery infection had spread down the inside of her right leg and across the front of her chest. She was soaked and hot. I brought Maigue to her HomVet who this time said Maigue needed an antibiotic. So she received the antibiotic and a steroid injection. The symptoms gradually got better over the next week. She received the homeopathic remedy Aethusia during the antibiotic course of 8 days. I also changed her environment, removing synthetic bedding and generally going about making her area healthier.

But one months later and the symptoms have returned.

From reading posts from other people whose cats have recurring skin conditions and hotspots I feel that energy rebalancing is key. I am also getting some Calendula soap so plan to wash the area to try and remove some of the irritation. I am looking for calendula tincture too, but as yet have not sourced that.

Maigue is wearing a comfortable doughnut collar which doesn’t seem to cause her any issues, currently she is sitting in the sun (she has access to outdoors) and watching life go by. I know she doesn’t like the collar, but isn't fighting it. At the moment it prevents her from licking the hotspots.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Jane!

Welcome to HA! and thanks for making your first post.
Skin Symptoms began after she was spayed at 6 months.

Ah, a clear trigger for the energetic imbalance that is the cause for the skin stuff.

vaccine during her first 6 months including booster.
Was a rabies or any other vaccine also given at the time of her spay?

She was put on antibiotics for this (Kesium).
OK, there's another potential trigger for her imbalance.

scabby lesions in her ears., left leg scabby lesions, blister like pustules
It sounds like her body is trying to heal...
developed gingivitis and some of her teeth became covered in a grey coating

Hmm, now we've got a deeper symptom...
But one months later and the symptoms have returned.
I feel that energy rebalancing is key
Exactly! Along with restoration of her beneficial bacteria of her gut, mouth, skin, etc.
plan to wash the area
If the area is moist, perhaps gently cleanse it with hydrogen peroxide (which will bubble up and decrease some of the moist discharge and local infection).

And then dry the area with some organic corn starch.

Depending on your locale, you may also have access to Felix's Flora, Mitomax, Floraphage, Teef, etc. to help re-balance her microbiome.

Most important is to add a trained vet homeopath to your vet care team. S/he can consult with you virtually from anywhere in the world.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom