• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Cat’s eye looks off - glassy

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
I hope you’re all well.

Yesterday I noticed my cat’s right eye looks off. It looks a little glassy, and I can see more skin on the inside corner of eye that I normally don’t see. Today he was sort of keeping them more closed it seemed. What could this be from? I don’t know when I will get an appointment with Dr. Judy Herman.

I reached out to the vet to see if she could prescribe Tobramycin ophthalmic drops for his eye, though I’m not certain if it’s the right medication for his symptoms. However, I anticipate she might want to see him in person. If there’s a possibility of helping him with homeopathic medicine or other natural remedies, we could potentially avoid the stress of a vet visit, which he finds very distressing.

Here are some photos and videos.
Please let me know if you’re able to view the videos I sent? Any insights or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Anna

@Dr. Barbara

@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. jeff

aruna

Cat mom
Administrator
VIP Member
Hi Anna, unfortunately there are no videos or pictures attached, can you try again?
And can you give us a little more information about Junior? Age, BEAM, other symptoms? Thanks

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yesterday I noticed my cat’s right eye looks off. It looks a little glassy, and I can see more skin on the inside corner of eye that I normally don’t see. Today he was sort of keeping them more closed it seemed. What could this be from?
Anything from a minor eye inflammation to abrasion or scratch of the cornea.

It's always a good idea to have a corneal stain done by a vet to rule out an eye ulcer when an eye symptom persists beyond a few hours (especially when squinting develops).

How's his BEAM?

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Junior is 3 1/2 years old and an indoor/outdoor cat. His beam is good. The only other thing is I see him drink water kind of frequently. I also don’t let him out every day and he gets upset about this even though I give him stress stopper and play with him.

IMG_8760.jpeg

IMG_8764.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8757.mov
    52.1 MB
  • IMG_8758.mov
    30.2 MB

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
@aruna do you see the photos and videos now?

I also had added to my notes he’s 3 1/2 years old and his BEAM is good. The only thing is he tends to drink a lot of water over all. Please let me know if you see the photos and videos?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
He looks pretty happy!

Have you tried hot compressing his eye?

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
He looks pretty happy!

Have you tried hot compressing his eye?
Yes, his BEAM seems good and he was purring.

I’m not sure how long he would let me hold a warm/hot washcloth over his eye. Is this how you would do it?

I happen to have a supplement on hand Hawaii pharm farm supplements called clear vision. I will attach photos of it. It’s for all kinds of problems with the eyes. Started giving him this today. I will observe him tomorrow and see how it looks.

IMG_8774.jpeg

IMG_8771.jpeg

IMG_8773.jpeg

IMG_8771.jpeg

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Junior’s vet mentioned that she isn’t sure why his third eyelids are visible, but the good news is that he doesn’t appear to have an infection or anything similar. Dr. Judy Herman, my homeopathic vet, is currently out of town, but her assistant Gina mentioned that in her experience working at conventional vet clinics, they would often test for worms, including tapeworms, as this can be an underlying cause of third eyelid issues. The vet gave Junior a dewormer for tapeworms (I’ll look up the name when I get home), and we’ll monitor to see if this helps with his eyes.

Unfortunately, we had to give him a rabies shot yesterday due to legal requirements. He’s feeling a bit under the weather post-vaccination, with a reduced appetite this morning, so I gave him some baby food, which he ate. He’s been crying a lot to go outside and is quite upset about being kept in. Junior has never really stopped crying to go outside for the past three years, and I finally started letting him out about six months ago with a collar and tag tracker, as he couldn’t handle a harness without getting frantic and escaping.

This morning, Junior urinated on the hallway rug where he usually likes to sit, which is very unusual for him. They took a urine sample yesterday because he’s always been a frequent water drinker, and his urine tends to have a strong ammonia smell. They also took a blood sample for further testing.

@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. jeff @annahagopian

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Junior’s vet mentioned that she isn’t sure why his third eyelids are visible, but the good news is that he doesn’t appear to have an infection or anything similar. Dr. Judy Herman, my homeopathic vet, is currently out of town, but her assistant Gina mentioned that in her experience working at conventional vet clinics, they would often test for worms, including tapeworms, as this can be an underlying cause of third eyelid issues. The vet gave Junior a dewormer for tapeworms (I’ll look up the name when I get home), and we’ll monitor to see if this helps with his eyes.

Unfortunately, we had to give him a rabies shot yesterday due to legal requirements. He’s feeling a bit under the weather post-vaccination, with a reduced appetite this morning, so I gave him some baby food, which he ate. He’s been crying a lot to go outside and is quite upset about being kept in. Junior has never really stopped crying to go outside for the past three years, and I finally started letting him out about six months ago with a collar and tag tracker, as he couldn’t handle a harness without getting frantic and escaping.

This morning, Junior urinated on the hallway rug where he usually likes to sit, which is very unusual for him. They took a urine sample yesterday because he’s always been a frequent water drinker, and his urine tends to have a strong ammonia smell. They also took a blood sample for further testing.

IMG_8782.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Anna!

Great news about the vet visit and that Junior's eye is normal aside from the prolapsed 3rd eyelid.

Did you have a question?

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hey Anna!

Great news about the vet visit and that Junior's eye is normal aside from the prolapsed 3rd eyelid.

Did you have a question?
Oops, yes. I forgot to add the question! 🤦🏻‍♀️ Do you know what other reason a prolapsed eye lid can be caused from?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Do you know what other reason a prolapsed eye lid can be caused from?
Sure! Lots of things can trigger a prolapsed third eyelid. Some of the most common include blunt trauma and Horner's syndrome.

However, IMHO the true underlying "cause" is an energetic imbalance which can manifest in just about any physical symptom.

Other than homeopathic medicines based on the totality of Junior's symptoms throughout life, the best action is to support the body while it heals.

Which you are already doing with love, happiness, fresh food and the Hawaii Pharm supplement.

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Oh my, @Dr. jeff. That’s very helpful to understand the potential of Horner’s syndrome. It seems like it would take alot of tests/diagnostics to figure out which cause it might be. I will definitely treat with homeopathic medicine. Should I continue the Clear Vision? It can’t hurt but only potentially help, right? Thank you.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
The third eyelid also protrudes when the eye itself is in pain and withdraws, making it seem like the third eyelid is up. They can actually pull the eyeball backward into the socket to protect it if it's sore.Maybe some mild saline wash would be appropriate to encourage it!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom