• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Anal gland scooting on carpet

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Blossom has a pattern now of scooting and leaving a mark on the carpet, actually a long smear. Her stool is normal and she has no straining or difficulty when she poops outside. Other dogs of mine scooted sometimes right after they defecate but she does it in the house hours and hours from her last poop. She has no discomfort and so what is her problem. I have refused to let her on the carpet a few times as I am tired of cleaning it up with a very odorous enzyme product that bothers me because i react to all things artificial due to sensitivity. Her places of comfort are near a window and upstairs but they are carpeted. Short of a diaper, what can be done---does she need them expressed? She also tends when excited to emit that odor like a skunk does when threatened. I have gotten used to it but the vet told me that some dogs do that and release the smallest bit of fluid without it being a problem. So in her case in the absence of other symptoms I think expressing anal glands won't do anything. Do I just have to restrict her or learn to tolerate it? Maybe it is dietary? I am thinking of abandoning the fresh wet food and going with dry kibble. Her diet prep is getting too time consuming---and expensive. Maybe I should try a Go kibble my 2 friends use or Dr. Marty's kibble. I spend hours in cooking, preparing and really do not have the time anymore. In addition I can't even guarantee what I am preparing covers all the bases in terms of calcium or nutrients... i give her the raw conventional food enough for a 20 lb dog since she needs to lose weight but then add the extras like cooked turkey, maybe an organ meat, cooked bison or beef. Any ideas on the scooting---not only is it disgusting but with my current joint problems I find it hard to clean up. Would a bath help if it it dirty is she trying to scratch it? Thanks

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Wow, you have a lot going on.
Anals - this is one of the signs of underlying energy imbalance, so do try anything to rebalance - experiment as to what you need to do. Until rebalanced, once a day do a hot compress for 5 mins or as long as she will tolerate Can try adding to the hot water: rescue remedy or stress stopper; hypericum, calendula, comfrey.

Be sure there is enough exercise.

Please do not stop raw. With a small dog it should not add more than 30 mins weekly and 10 minutes daily.

Bath will probably not help as it is a continued excretion.

Dr. Christina

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Wow, you have a lot going on.
Anals - this is one of the signs of underlying energy imbalance, so do try anything to rebalance - experiment as to what you need to do. Until rebalanced, once a day do a hot compress for 5 mins or as long as she will tolerate Can try adding to the hot water: rescue remedy or stress stopper; hypericum, calendula, comfrey.

Be sure there is enough exercise.

Please do not stop raw. With a small dog it should not add more than 30 mins weekly and 10 minutes daily.

Bath will probably not help as it is a continued excretion.

Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina

She does not get enough exercise at all....she suffered from the torn ligament for almost 4 months and just in the past month or so we walk a very short distance. She has poor endurance and the heat does not help. It takes her a long time to walk, yet she can wiggle and jump around with excitement at times when we do something fun. She has had the slow walking since I adopted her 2 years ago but with regularity she did get better and then THIS with the ligament. I am taking her for shockwave therapy in a week or so. She does not seem in pain or discomfort but sometimes i can hear her breathe on the walk. Back to the anal glands. I contacted the homeopath and he is out of the country for another week maybe. The tech texted me back and said his reception is poor. However I know I mentioned the scooting to him early this year in 2024. I do feel she has a cluster of symptoms of which this is one of them that since I have no real understanding of what is for what in homeopathy, I do not know if he is covering it. Her symptoms are this anal scooting, the slow walking, now the bilious vomiting, the low Na:K ratio, 2 of last 3 blood tests but normal cortisol and high potassium and higher reticulocytes but nobody (her vet) is concerned. She seemed to have more scooting the last time she was at the tail end of the cycle, i.e. 3 months post onset, she has ovary sparing spay. I guess this is the end of the progesterone cycle. She started her cycle in last days of may. She will love the hot compresses. She likes her hind end/quarters pet. Oh by the way she is on carbonica once a month. i also have given her nux the past few days.....She 'seems" happier and energetic and do not know if this is a side benefit. But since the homeo is not around i guess I am guessing about the nux. She has eaten breakfast now since giving it to her. Thanks so much for the ideas.....She will love the attention and warm compresses always feel so good.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Lil!
I have no real understanding of what is for what in homeopathy
The weekend vitality, balance and homeopathy seminars that are in your HA! member resource area are a wonderful way to learn more.

I do not know if he is covering it.
Yes, Calc carb is an important remedy to help with anal sac stuff.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Great, thanks for the reassurance on the homeopathic selection. I will check out the basics. Thanks for pointing me directly to the information.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
And, if possible, avoid giving a homeopathic medicine when working with a homeopath. It can confuse the evaluation, since properly prescribed remedies treat EVERY symptom, so if you get rid of one with a different remedy, it complicates things a bit.

However, even when you do, it can be evaluated and included, so not to worry about it.
Christina

LilF

Community Member
Registered
And, if possible, avoid giving a homeopathic medicine when working with a homeopath. It can confuse the evaluation, since properly prescribed remedies treat EVERY symptom, so if you get rid of one with a different remedy, it complicates things a bit.

However, even when you do, it can be evaluated and included, so not to worry about it.
Christina
Very good point.... She has been doing quite well the past few days and today even ENJOYED a bath and paid special attention to cleaning her backside where she scoots ;-) She really is a good girl and seems to enjou that her pores can breathe again.. i think last time I spoke to the homeopath I mentioned the bilious and he said I couldgive her nux but I did not recall the frequency. Seems in homeopathy when in doubt give nux! Thank you for the good thoughts.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom