• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

2 new kittens starting on a Raw diet

MatthewF

Registered
  1. Your pet's name- Willow and spirit
  2. Approximate age- 8-9 weeks old
  3. Sex- female
  4. Neutering status- too young to be desexed
  5. Breed- ragdoll + domestic
  6. Approximate weight- 800-900gms
  7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood)- very playfull, full of energy, loving
  8. Diet- one week ago started them on a raw diet
  9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication- never been vaccinated
  10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time-
I have just started my kitties on a raw food diet one week ago and wanted a second opinion.. my local holistic vet in Australia told me to start the kittens off on
a diet of raw 70% minced chicken frame, 20% greens and 10% organs-

I was quite nervous to start the kittens on minced chicken frames as there are tiny bones chicken frame bone/cartilage that feels tough in it. my local holistic vet said this is ok and that they're bodies can digest it?

since they have been on this diet i noticed with some of there poos that there is some mucous in theyre poo and the colour varies alot. My local holistic vet said this is normal when kittens are adjusting to a new raw food diet? is this correct? she has recommended that i give some probiotics and a natural gut support supplement to them as they adjust.

Just wanted to get a second opinion on this diet and help ease my mind with feeding the kittens minced chicken frames & necks thast have tiny bones in it.

I have added some pictures of the poo.

thanks. Matt

image006.pngimage008 (1).png

1. Other health concerns
no

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
You are blessed with a great local holistic vet!!!

I know it can be scary. When making my cats' food over the years even I would look at the shards of bones and cringe, yet I knew it was perfectly normal diet for them as long as had the cartilage and some meat with them.

I agree with all your vet says. Focus mostly on the BEAM - if they are playing, active, crazy kittens who are eating well - good on!

If not safe to eat frames, we would have no wild cats.

Perfect place here to ask questions.

You may want to download the Healthy Cat Journal and set up a book for each to keep track of the fun things they do and to notice any concerns.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Matthew!
never been vaccinated
YAY! How wonderful that you have an open-minded and well-informed local vet!
local holistic vet said this is ok and that they're bodies can digest it?
Yes!!!

A great species appropriate probiotic available N. America is called Felix's Flora from Adored Beast:

You may have something similar in Australia. A good variety of probiotics will help them to be healthier in addition to helping the stool consistency.

In addition, a wide variety of foods would be great to offer. You can read more about offering variety in the HA! 101 course and throughout the member area (do a search on the word "food").

In addition, I bet Dr. Howell will discuss fresh and varied feeding on tonight's webinar.

And you and I can discuss this on our HMDM call in about 1 hour!

MatthewF

Registered

I know it can be scary. When making my cats' food over the years even I would look at the shards of bones and cringe, yet I knew it was perfectly normal diet for them as long as had the cartilage and some meat with them.

I agree with all your vet says. Focus mostly on the BEAM - if they are playing, active, crazy kittens who are eating well - good on!

You may want to download the Healthy Cat Journal and set up a book for each to keep track of the fun things they do and to notice any concerns.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Christina
thank you for your help :)

MatthewF

Registered
Hey Matthew!

YAY! How wonderful that you have an open-minded and well-informed local vet!

Yes!!!

A great species appropriate probiotic available N. America is called Felix's Flora from Adored Beast:

You may have something similar in Australia. A good variety of probiotics will help them to be healthier in addition to helping the stool consistency.

In addition, a wide variety of foods would be great to offer. You can read more about offering variety in the HA! 101 course and throughout the member area (do a search on the word "food").

In addition, I bet Dr. Howell will discuss fresh and varied feeding on tonight's webinar.

And you and I can discuss this on our HMDM call in about 1 hour!
thank you for your help, much appreciated :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom