• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Young Boston Terrier with potential IBD

SusanCo

Community Member
Registered
  1. Your pet's name Baxter
  2. Approximate age 1.5 years
  3. Sex Male
  4. Neutering status Neutered
  5. Breed Boston Terrier
  6. Approximate weight 10lbs (used to be 11.5lbs)
  7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) When feeling good, very energetic, well behaved dog. When well HUGE appetite, happy go lucky pup. When an "IBD" flare is approaching, he wakes up nauseous, eating grass, gurgle in the tummy for a few days but still eating and good poops. Then progresses to full on nausea, won't eat or drink, very lethargic. Vomits mucous and blood. ends up on fluids in the vet. Sent home with Metronidazole, bloody diarrhea (dark blood) for a few days until it resolves on the meds.

8. Diet Hills Science W/D, transitioning to Z/D as recommended by vet. Honest Kitchen Goats Milk probiotics (powder) I have also dabbled with homemade food of chicken, rice, veggies, salmon, bison treats.
  9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication - Normal Vaccinations schedule (will send once I receive his records), Drontal this past weekend and Advocate once a month. Should be noted that after Drontal wormer, woke up very nauseous and lethargic. Wouldn't eat until much later in the day. Currently on Metronidazole. Omeprazole when needed.
  10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time. Began as a puppy around 16 weeks with bloody diarrhoea. resolved on the metronidazole but then a few weeks later symptoms returned. Fecal sample showed high Clostridium so several weeks of Metronidazole which cleared it up. since then intermittent bouts of symptoms requiring fluids and more meds.
  11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? hard to say what the triggers are but always presents in the mornings. We live in Bermuda so its hot and he loves napping in the heat for short periods.
  12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them). Will send as soon as I have them. bloods have always been normal, latest fecal done a week ago was "unremarkable" with a low level of Clostridium (normal range)
  13. Current and previous treatment. Currently on one more week of Metronidazole. Vets suggestion is a trial of Hills Z/D then introduce a novel protein...
  14. Other health concerns. Double luxating Patellas Grade 2/3, watery eyes at times.
@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina @Dr. Sara would like help with diet and healing his gut. Thank you!

Attachments

• Baxter Chiro docs.pdf
    26.1 KB · Views: 1
  • ettrick report.pdf
    129.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Cedartree 2.pdf
    32.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Cedar Tree history.pdf
    60.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Baxter vaccines 2.pdf
    19 KB · Views: 0
  • Baxter vaccines.pdf
    19 KB · Views: 1
  • Baxter rabies 2.pdf
    15.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Baxter rabies.pdf
    16.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Baxter patient history.pdf
    60.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Baxter latest wellness check.pdf
    31.2 KB · Views: 1

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Susan! I'm super sorry to hear about Baxter. :confused: It sounds like he's already gone through A LOT in his young life.

I think Katy mentioned him to me this weekend, and I recommended starting The Wolf probiotic from Adored Beast right away. In case she didn't mention it though, that's where I'd start.

I have a meeting in 10 minutes and will look through the paperwork you shared after that.

In the meantime, perhaps go through the 101 course and watch Dr. Forman's wonderful webinar about IBD from this spring (there's also a whole bunch of other resources and a super summary document that Aruna (HA! manager and web wizard) put together). You'll find these all in the resources area.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I think this is eminently solveable, without much fuss and expense. His little gut has had a multitude of insults, and would greatly benefit from not only the excellent probiotic but also a diet of raw and fermented foods, to build his natural flora. The drugs have only masked his symptoms, and, while useful on occasion, can do nothing to return him to normal healthy function. There are supplements which can help, but the basis of his diet needs to be raw meats and organs, a small amount of vegetable matter, and the excellent probiotics. Should he not respond - but he will:) - thoroughly enough, look into a fecal transplant to get him balanced once again. Also, provide some "love" with stimulating activities, hands-on bodywork - nothing too technical, but lots of love and touching will do wonders. Don't fuss, and visualize him as strong and capable of dealing with all these insults - because he is:) And, in addition, you may wish to contact one of the excellent classical homeopaths in our stable. Pleas continue to ask anything you like after you've read all our files.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again Susan!

One quick question and 1 request.

?-Did Baxter have any issues with his BEAM and other symptoms before the double rabies in Oct 2022 and then again Nov. 2022?

It would be wonderful to see any vet notes prior to the clostridium test.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing your great suggestions Ginny!

The only thing I would add is to start working with a classical vet homeopath to help unravel any energetic entanglements that may remain after implementing Ginny's suggestions.

It looks like your vet is already open to your building a vet care team (since the chiro works out of there) so perhaps ask them.

You can learn more about building a supportive vet care team for Baxter here:

SusanCo

Community Member
Registered
Hey Susan! I'm super sorry to hear about Baxter. :confused: It sounds like he's already gone through A LOT in his young life.

I think Katy mentioned him to me this weekend, and I recommended starting The Wolf probiotic from Adored Beast right away. In case she didn't mention it though, that's where I'd start.

I have a meeting in 10 minutes and will look through the paperwork you shared after that.

In the meantime, perhaps go through the 101 course and watch Dr. Forman's wonderful webinar about IBD from this spring (there's also a whole bunch of other resources and a super summary document that Aruna (HA! manager and web wizard) put together). You'll find these all in the resources area.
Hi Dr. Jeff,

Thanks for your reply! I have ordered the probiotics. Unfortunately it will be a week or two as living in Bermuda shipping takes time. Anything I can do in the meantime? I am struggling as to what to feed him right now. He is super nauseous this morning again after a bland meal of chicken rice and some soft veggies last night. Won't even consider any food or water. Vet here wants me to transition him to Hills z/d. Perhaps I should have a one on one appointment with you when available. Uploading his first incident as a pup from his first vet.

Sue

Attachments

• Ettrick Vet Baxter records.pdf
    418.5 KB · Views: 1

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing the original records Sue.

Great that you can get The Wolf in Bermuda!

Anything I can do in the meantime?
Sure, lots of fun stuff!! Is there anything that Baxter LOVES to do or eat?

Helping him to be as happy as much as possible every day will also help him heal.

Are you near the shore (and will he walk in the water)? And if not, is it cool enough where you are allow him to spend time outside?

Yes, I think scheduling your 15 min. HA! call on Thursday or Friday could be useful.

Also, can you find raw (or any) goat's milk and see if he'll lap that up?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
BTW-I'd add one thing to this differential diagnosis ("ddx") from your first vet. Especially since this is when problems started:

has passed some haemorrhagic diarrhoea, parvo snap
negative today, vomited couple of times in last few days, c/exam: BAR, HR: 116, R:
24, mm pink, abdo nad but borborygmi ++, T: 38.3, ddx: indiscretion, intolerance,
parasites, infection
, plan: drontal/advocate given, to start on abx/panacur/prokolin,
cerenia inj, see back in 7 days for 3rd dhpp vac (and then 2 weeks later for 3rd
lepto)
Vaccinosis! Maybe take a look at the vaccinosis ebook and other vaccine resources.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom