• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

What to use for acute/intermittent pain when injury is triggered

LilF

Community Member
Registered
A few weeks ago my JJ, 15 year old, injured his foot, leg or hip, Not sure what exactly but he avoids putting weight on that leg. When it happened he was pooping on top a pile of snow and one leg sunk down. At the time he was stumbling and falling. I gave him arnica and he recovered within an hour and seemed ok. From that time, it has been triggered off again from time to time, particularly when he has pooped but not always. Today, it seems to be bothering him. I have been giving him Ligaplex, Arnica, Rhus Tox, curcumin and frankensense.

He has an appointment for acupuncture on thursday.

What can I do now? The homeopath sent me some remedies for him which I have not started yet I just received them yesterday. Can I give him my remedies above I have been giving him for this recurring leg pain, with what the homeopath prescribed for his overall issues (he does not say what they are for, I assume that they are for the many issues we discussed on the phone. Or would I be interfering with the remedies he prescribed. I wanted to start the remedies but I also want to make sure I give him the arnica and rhus tox for the leg that I have been giving him. What about the pain relieving herbs are those ok to give?

He looks so scared when he falls down. But often then he somewhat recovers and is able to get around. So the spontaneous recovery after the injury is triggered again, is puzzling for the past few weeks. He cannot take NSAIDS due to his liver and kidney issues. Thank you

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hopefully you have emailed your questions to your homeopath. When there is an acute problem, we try to help them through it without using acute remedies or acupuncture or herbs. If they are very uncomfortable, sometime we will do it.

the reason to not use acupuncture or strong herbs or other homeopathic medicines when deep acting remedies are being prescribed is that it makes the evaluation of how this remedy worked very difficult to make.

For the acting scared when he falls down you can support him with slings, give a lot of rescue remedy until you hear from your homeopath. Wait if at all possible so he can have the best chance of success in the long run.

Who is your veterinary homeopath?
Dr. Christina

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I am updating my prior post. So he got out of the car with the ramp, peed and came in the house. There are two little steps to get in the house. He started stumbling again. So he is not recovering as well as he has over the past few weeks. I am using the assisi loop over his leg and hip now. Gave several doses of arnica and rhus tox. I do have a vibrating doggie padded thing I bought for a dog back in 2013--would that help him relax his joints?
I also have Trelief Mobility and TRelief Arthritis I can use. I have expired Traumeel and Zeel (the old formulas) that I can use. I want to avoid the emergency room. He cannot take steroids or NSAIDS anyway. I guess I will try everything above. I do have a TENS machine but he might not like that feeling. I have used it on my injuries and it works nicely for pain and movement. Any thoughts on what I can do? He lays around most of the day and I should have taken him for the laser or acupuncture weeks ago when he initially injured it. I was a bit hesitant because of what was triggered off with Gabby the dog who died after her acupuncture laser treatments in October. I wanted to catch the pet summit and now I won't be able to because I am in triage mode :-((

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Lil! I concur with Dr. Christina that asking your homeopath is a great idea. However, anytime a lameness is triggered by an injury (even if it recurs) acute Arnica (not so much Rhus) is fine to do.

Yes the herbs (like Boswellia, white willow bark, etc.) are also fine to use.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Hopefully you have emailed your questions to your homeopath. When there is an acute problem, we try to help them through it without using acute remedies or acupuncture or herbs. If they are very uncomfortable, sometime we will do it.

the reason to not use acupuncture or strong herbs or other homeopathic medicines when deep acting remedies are being prescribed is that it makes the evaluation of how this remedy worked very difficult to make.

For the acting scared when he falls down you can support him with slings, give a lot of rescue remedy until you hear from your homeopath. Wait if at all possible so he can have the best chance of success in the long run.

Who is your veterinary homeopath?
Dr. Christina

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Christina, I consulted with Dr. Loops. I don't think he has an email service for such times but he should :) I will ask tomorrow. So maybe I should start the remedies he sent? It is the step UP that is the problem. I am trying to minimize the height with bags on the steps. Trying to make adjustments. I am not sure the remedies he prescribed would cover this problem but I hope so. Thank you!!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I have not been able to update .. my internet is out even more than before. I decided to take JJ In to the vet. He did xrays and found JJ has a cruciate ligament tear. Unbelievably when I called the vet to get an emergency appointment, he wanted me to come in the same time I had a call scheduled with Dr. Loops the homeopath. So I had to miss that appointment with Dr. Loops and they wanted me to reschedule for NEXT week. So I was not happy with that. They called back an hour later and gave me an appointment tuesday, thank goodness. He does not have an email for emergency or questions which is a down side. I am hoping to get some remedies for the healing of his ligament. I did have an acupuncture schedule for thursday and I know it is not right to mix energies but I feel the acupuncture would work faster (or even laser) I don't mind being corrected here... It is very difficult to get him out as he refuses to pee on my front deck where there are no steps for him to climb. He insists on going out to his usual place. I called a trainer and she said it would take time to get him used to the new place. I put his poop, pee and a pee pad on the faux grass pad on the deck but he simply laid on the pee pad and would not "go". I use a plank on the steps for him, but he is better going down rather than up but guess that is what I will have to keep doing. Just wish he would simply use the deck so he can stop aggravating the injury. I am glad I got a diagnosis. They said his hips and knees were not really arthritic at all (for a 15 yer old) but his back had some significant spondylosis.
I told Dr. Loops office JJ 's appetite seemed worse after 2 days of the remedies he prescribed (for heart and kidney) but they said they would have no effect on his appetite. The conventional vet did not suggest NSAIDS in JJ's case and was happy to hear him give a laundry list of supplements. One was Vet Classics with Green Lipped mussell and other cofactors for his ligament. I also had Trixsyn in my "dog pharmacy" and am going to use that . I contacted the company and they said to double the dose. Maybe I have too many treatments in the mix. I did see Dr. Cooney in the pet summit and it was an awesome presentation. However, my internet prevented me from seeing more interviews. It usually goes out around 5 or 6 PM so as I write this I could be cut anytime!! Thank you and glad I got a diagnosis for JJ. Not fatal... Like I say, the little guy is like rubber, with a will to live like steel. He looks like he should have been dead a year ago but he keeps going. He fell down the basement stairs without a scratch....

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina I talked to Dr. Loops yesterday and he is sending something for JJ's ACL tear, he was stunned such an old dog got this injury. So after JJ got xrays tuesday, next day his BEAM was worse, did not eat all that much and his back end now is weaker, not just his leg. Did the stress of the vet visit make his back end now more of a problem? I don't know what remedy addresses this. Could it be possible the remedies prescribed for JJ's heart and kidney be making him weaker. I can't schedule with Dr. Loops every day. Usually I have to wait a week. I just talked to him and now it seems I need to talk to him again! I gave him Arnica 200 c this morning, maybe that will help him get up. I will throw some CBD at him if that doesn't work. This was all unavoidable.. JJ HAS to poop on a snowpile and his leg sunk do. Winter is always hard on dogs, no sun, cold, no sitting outside, no walking . All my dogs have died in winter because it takes a toll. I won't give him the remedies for the kidney and liver and see if he is better. I wish I could get him up to go outside. I thought the remedies from the homeopath would address all his issues, like his spondylosis too.

LaurieC

VIP Member
Registered
May I suggest some Energy Medicine given by you, hands on with intention to heal. Good luck and reassure JJ constantly. I use Energy Medicine not as a particular RX but as a general sending love energy and intention to the body part and whole pet with hands on by the pet parent. I always the term "Energy Medicine" was a broad meaning for all energy medicine types. Now I know from Dr. Wagner it is a specific type of healing. Oh my Lord there is so much to learn!

Last edited:

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Ok, will try it... He did go outside but laying down now and it is cold out there. I offered him some egg cooked in butter but he did not eat it. Thanks!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
JJ Is really depressed. Maybe the Arnica 200 ck I gave him when he could not get up this morning. I see Dr. Loops is closed. I think he seems to work only a few days a week. Wish I knew that before... Guess I will look for another homeopath, went to Dr. Cooney website but they have no phone number. I need someone AVAILABLE, not someone who is off at both ends of the week before the weekends and no emergency email. No reason JJ's back end should be suddenly weak, His hips are not bad and neither are his knees. He had the ACL tear for weeks already and was not down before now. Wont give him anymore of the homeopath's remedies and hope he recovers with his strength. I was hoping for more, or no result at best, not a worse result.

Without going through the whole list of homeopaths, is there someone anyone knows that is available and works 5 days a week? It is hard to do the research when I have to be tending to JJ. His depression bothers me and thus he won't eat. Will try some rescue remedy to see if that helps his mood.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Lil, take a deep breath.... You are NOT going to find a single remedy which gives relief, other than the Arnica for whatever good it did. And, for the time being, stop "throwing" things at him as well. Dr. Loops is going to give you remedies which will gradually help JJ's entire systemic picture, including giving him strength to heal the ligament, perhaps. But, given his age and the other issues he's handling - and if what you say about this injury's having been around for a while - he may stay slightly impaired no matter what. Cruciate tears are often precipitated by chronic ligament brittleness, a systemic weakness from old insults or illness.

The remedies he is getting will do no further harm, and you do not need to change practitioners based on what you saw. Stick with his protocol, even if he seems a little off some days. He's an old, tired guy, and he needs less fussing and more resting. Trust in his ability to do his best, and don't monkey with that process. If you did nothing at all right now, except for loving him, he would still heal to the best of his ability. I wish you both peace and calm; trust yourself - and him.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks Ginny for the beautiful words. ? ❤️

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff @GinnyW Thank you respectively for the direct links to homeopath sites and to Ginny for the affectionate"spanking" :) The other day I did try some of the energy stuff @LaurieC mentioned. He did get up and did better after that for the rest of the day. I have to say the sun and laying on the grass did a lot of good but the temps are tanking again and snow for a few days... He does soak up affection and always has. Today I got a couple more remedies from Dr. Loops for his ligament (same ones I was going to get on my own based on Dr. Sara's empower hour (9-30-19)that I listened to recently ( so many good specific suggestions for a homeopathic dummy like myself) and he said it would also help his appetite which is terrible. I have a buffet of stuff, fresh meat, dry dog food choices etc (he won't eat anything all mixed together and I need to get the plate Dr. Jeff posted the other day separating the foods. Also going to try the clear conscience gravy. Today I purchased some more freeze dried food and he did not want it. He did not want the ground turkey that he DID eat the other day. He eats english cut roast with his pills. I offer a lot of choices. He had diarrhea today and I had to syringe RX vitamins clay into him. I think the supplement Marshmallow does not agree with him. Second time that he got diarrhea. I get upset when he doesn't eat and worry. But I can't offer 10 choices every meal. I guess he will eat when and IF he does. I have to disconnect after a certain point. Thanks all for the good ideas.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Lil!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom