• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Viva raw cat food & supplementals

MeowMeow

Community Member
Registered
Hello.

I’m using the recommended frozen Viva Raw cat food and my cat loves it.

I rotate chicken, turkey, & duck, and must note that I chose those certain meats that do not have any other added ingredients, just 100% meat, which I love.

I rotate the other days with frozen Darwin’s chicken or turkey, which is already supplemented.

That being said, I’m concerned about those important missing ingredients (like taurine) on the two days weekly of Viva.

Do cats require taurine every day?

I give omega daily in the form of sardines and kelp, and veg.

Thank you. 🙏

NancyK

Community Member
Registered
I thought meat has lots of taurine naturally, especially the muscular organs like heart.

Nancy

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Do cats require taurine every day?
Great question! And congratulation on feeding a raw meat diet.😻

The answer depends on many individual factors such as their intercellular taurine stores, absorption, etc. Typically not.

And as Nancy said, a raw meat diet (especially if it contains heart like Viva) gives them all the taurine they need.

MeowMeow

Community Member
Registered
Good to know:)
Excellent website

Viva happened to write back too. Below is their reply.

I do not agree with nutritional yeast as I hear often it is msg. The only other that stands out is seeing manganese on the list. Does it really need to be included do you think?

“Below is what we would recommend adding to our Pure Recipes for cats.

For every 1 lb of Viva, add:

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Does it really need to be included do you think?
I believe the manganese is important tho am confused why Viva is advising to supplement their food.

@Dr. Jean Hofve do you feel that raw meats are manganese deficient?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Oh, I see now. He's covering his basis regarding their "pure" diets only. Not their complete ones.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Just to catch up, manganese *can* be hard to balance in a raw diet.

Just fyi, I don't recommend using kelp as a supplement for cats, as it is very high in iodine. This can lead to thyroid issues.

MeowMeow

Community Member
Registered
They also say this on their website under the Pure choices (Pure meaning 1 protein and nothing else added):

“Not intended as a complete and balanced diet, suitable for intermittent feeding for dogs & cats.
  • Prey Model Raw at 80% meat, 10% organ, 10% bone”
Only 10% organ is concerning and plan to feed at least 3+ times a week.
If there are any other supplementing advice or articles that would be great. 🙏

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom