• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Urinary tract health

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello - any supplement recommendation for urinary tract health (for :dog2:) ? Thank you :)

aruna

Cat mom
Administrator
All-Access Member
Hi, @ChristineL , before anyone else jumps in - have you had a chance to look at our urinary resources? If you scroll down, you will see a couple handouts that will have some supplements in them as well. Here is the link: Non member login - Holistic Actions!

Dr. Sue

Certified Veterinary Food Therapist
All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Hello - any supplement recommendation for urinary tract health (for :dog2:) ? Thank you :)
Hi Christine,

I choose different supplements based on whether there is an active urinary tract issue or whether you are just trying to be proactive. First and foremost it goes without saying that fresh food and moisture in the diet are extremenly important. Clean, non-chlorinated water is also important.

In general, for proactive care I like Standard Process Canine Immune System Support paired with Canine Renal Support or Canine Whole Body Support. For dogs with active UTI's, Standard Process Albaplex, Jing Tang Eight Righteous or Animal Essentials Tinkle Tonic (TinkleTonic is also proactive) . For dogs who have bladder or kidney stones - Standard Process Renal and Immune along with Jing Tang Crystal Stone Formula. For pets who have kidney disease - Standard Process Renafood, Renatrophin PMG and Dr. Harvey's Kidney Support or Pet Well Being Kidney Support Gold.

Dr. Sue

AlysonR

All-Access Member
Registered
Wow. Timing is everything. I just adopted a dog who probably has a UTI, but 2 weeks of the standard antibiotic didn't completely clear it. It is VERY much better, though. The cause is pretty clear. This dog was excessively crated. She is currently 7 months old, and much of her life she was crated up to 20 hours a day. By that time she'd developed the UTI, and the guy who 'rescued' her was trying to keep urinary accidents to a minimum by restricting water. Um....whoops! Fortunately, he had her less than 2 weeks before deciding he didn't have time for her, at which point he gave her to me. I will start a new thread on her, eventually, but while we're talking about UTI's -- when I got her, she was drinking constantly, and then after drinking, she'd have to urinate immediately. Lots of people don't like dog doors, but I have one, and I was SOOOOO happy when she learned to use it. And yes, I kept track of her water consumption and urge to urinate without needing to be there to let her out each time. After 2 weeks of antibiotics, she is much better -- still drinking more than what I would call normal (but I don't really know what is normal for her), but much less than she had been -- but urinalysis still shows leukocytes and a small amount of blood. Specific gravity has increased 4-fold, but the first urine sample was collected at the vet's late morning, whereas the second was collected first thing in the morning at home. CBC still shows elevated monocytes (read: chronic infection) and MPV. Next step is to culture the urine. I'll be collecting a morning sample on Monday to take to the vet. After I send in the sample, though, I'd like to proactively start treating in a non-harmful, holistic way, in case there is a UTI, as I don't want to wait for results to come back (by which time, presumably, things will have gotten worse, again).

Questions: Has anyone tried Manuka Honey for UTI? If so, what dosage? Cranberry powder is also a possibility, as are some of the supplements listed above. Would any of the supplements in the previous post be contraindicated if this isn't a UTI? Are any of them more important than others (if, say, I just wanted to use 2 or 3 of them until I get a definitive diagnosis)? Assuming there's some sort of antibiotic that would solve the problem, should I go with it? When she was first diagnosed, the problem was urgent. Now it's not nearly so bad.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom