• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Treatment after dog neutering surgery today

tsharlo1

VIP Member
Registered
Buxton, 10 yo BMD, was neutered today due to prostatitis. I gave him Arnica 10m last night. They gave me Rimadyl to start tomorrow as an anti-inflammatory and for pain to give for 7 days. Also Gabapentin tonight for pain and for 5 days.
If I give him Arnica will that take the place of both Rimadyl and Gabapentin? How often and for how long should I give him Arnica?
Should I give him milk thistle because of the anesthesia? If yes, what brand is recommended?

Thank you!
Debbie & Buxton

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Debbie!

I'm glad that he came through the surgery uneventfully. Did they also remove the rectal "mass"?
If I give him Arnica will that take the place of both Rimadyl and Gabapentin?
It might but depends on if you dose the Arnica yet he is still uncomfortable. Gabapentin is pretty benign.

How often and for how long should I give him Arnica?
As often as he needs it based on any lowering of BEAM, restlessness, apparent discomfort, etc. Maybe also give an extra dose just prior to when you feel you need to give the gaba.
Should I give him milk thistle because of the anesthesia?
Nah, it's usually not needed.

tsharlo1

VIP Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff,
Thanks for your prompt reply!
What was thought to be a rectal mass was just a thickening ring around his anus. The vet was able to get a better look when Buxton was sedated and they shaved the area.
I appreciate your guidance about dosing arnica and meds. The arnica links are great to save and share too!

I was much more comfortable about having the surgery done after talking last week.

I am grateful for your support.
Debbie

tsharlo1

VIP Member
Registered
Should I put anything on Buxton’s incision?
He just wants to lie down. When I took him outside he wanted to check out his incision and I had to keep him moving.
Than you!
Debbie

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

tsharlo1

VIP Member
Registered
Buxton 10 yo BMD) was neutered June 26 due to prostatitis. Since then his energy has dropped dramatically and he seems exhausted after a short walk. He also has decreased mobility and is exhibiting pain. I question if this is due to the drop in hormones from his neuter. He also has lumbar sacral stenosis so his pain could be attributed to that.
@Dr. Jean Hofve is there a Standard Process supplement I should consider for Buxton?
thank you!
Debbie

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
At this point, in addition to any supplements, I would begin to work with a veterinary homeopath as "ailments ever since surgery/ or since anesthesia" can usually be easily resolved. At www.theAVH.org, check out Judith Herman, todd Cooney, Adriana Sagrera.

I hope you are also recording all these changes, and any of the Early Warning Signs of Internal Imbalance, in the Healthy Dog Journal.

Dr.Christina

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Yes indeed! There are several that I would consider. Why don't you fill out the Dog Survey on this page, I'll take a look and tell you which would be best. It sounds like there is more than one thing going on.

This is a service I provide for free, BTW, for any dog or cat; just fill out the form, send it to me, and I'll see what SP products I think are most appropriate. No obligation to buy products, I just let you know what I honestly think. I have on occasion not recommended any products, but some other course of action.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
This is a service I provide for free, BTW, for any dog or cat; just fill out the form, send it to me, and I'll see what SP products I think are most appropriate
Fantastic! Let's spread the word about this great service. Thanks for offering it Jean!! :snowman: 😍💚🙏

tsharlo1

VIP Member
Registered
Yes indeed! There are several that I would consider. Why don't you fill out the Dog Survey on this page, I'll take a look and tell you which would be best. It sounds like there is more than one thing going on.

This is a service I provide for free, BTW, for any dog or cat; just fill out the form, send it to me, and I'll see what SP products I think are most appropriate. No obligation to buy products, I just let you know what I honestly think. I have on occasion not recommended any products, but some other course of action.
Thank you so much!
I’m filling out the survey now and will send it to you.
Debbie

tsharlo1

VIP Member
Registered
At this point, in addition to any supplements, I would begin to work with a veterinary homeopath as "ailments ever since surgery/ or since anesthesia" can usually be easily resolved. At www.theAVH.org, check out Judith Herman, todd Cooney, Adriana Sagrera.

I hope you are also recording all these changes, and any of the Early Warning Signs of Internal Imbalance, in the Healthy Dog Journal.

Dr.Christina
Thanks for your reply. I have worked with Dr. Jeff since Buxton was a puppy.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom