• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Trazodone concerns for Blossom and different brands

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Blossom has been on Trazodone for about a month since she went into the shelter. She was on a rather high dose in the shelter combined with Clonidine. She went home with 100 mg twice a day. I just finished the brand I was given and gave her a pill of the brand I got from my vet. She seems more sedate and no zoomies. I know in spite of different generics, they DO act differently often due to the binders etc.. that are different in brands. So I suppose it could be something else but it led me to look up the drug and don't like some of the possible side effects. So how long is it safe for a dog to be on this drug? She has more anxiety than depression in my estimation. I suppose her situation contributed greatly and now she is in a more predictable environment than the shelter. I don't want any long term side effects and maybe I should go back to the brand she was used to? She ate well and I found out she even likes SAUERKRAUT yesterday..... good bacteria, and she is also drinking the Answers milk that she refused earlier. But she is decidely more sedate and really had no reaction to me leaving the house this morning briefly. Good but not so good because I don't know how this brand is making her feel. Any ideas. Should I give her this brand tonight for her second dose or go back to the old brand---I do have some of that from another dog. Or should I keep the brand the same for today and give the old brand tomorrow and note any differences. I would like to wean her off but I do have to get her used to the moving car-- I did "start" the car yesterday when she was in it. Maybe today will try moving a bit. The trazadone side effects I read scare me. I don't know what she might be feeling but she is definitely toned down. I did check and the imprint is for the 100 mg which is the dose she is supposed to be on twice a day. Thank you....

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Should I EVEN GIVE HER THE FULL DOSE OF 100 mg tonight if she is lethargic? Should I give her ANY dose or give her 50 mg. only. What is a good schedule to get her to a lower dose or off of it. If she has been getting 100 mg twice a day. Should I cut one of those doses to 50 mg while giving the 100 mg in the morning. And do that for a week. Then cut both doses down to 50 mg and do that for a week? and then do only one 50 mg dose a day for a week till she is off it? Would like to look into CBD instead.

Also I have been giving Milk Thistle at the same time as the pill. Since the Trazadone is metabolized by the liver is it a good or bad idea to be giving milk thistle at all? I thought I heard that not to give milk thistle after a dog has surgery for example because the liver is trying to detox the drugs. I think the people at Herbsmith told me this. She is quiet today after having switched the brand. I gotta get her off this stuff and just work with her. Thank you. Don't want her to have Seratonin Syndrome or anything

HA! Support

Administrator
All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Lil.

It's generally best to speak to the prescribing provider about changes to the dosage of a medication, including titration to wean Blossom off the Trazadone, if that is the goal.

As for the Milk Thistle, @Dr. Christina or @Dr. Jeff may have some input as to its effects when used in conjunction with other meds.

Thanks!

Kim
Holistic Actions! Support

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Regarding weaning, Kim's wise words are exactly what I would say as well (thanks Kim!).
Would like to look into CBD instead.
Great idea! Yes, CBDs could ease the way into a medication free life for Blossom.
Also I have been giving Milk Thistle at the same time as the pill. Since the Trazadone is metabolized by the liver is it a good or bad idea to be giving milk thistle at all?
Yes! It should be no problem to give them at the same time but perhaps give her an extra Happy Meal with the milk thistle a few hours after the Trazadone.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Thank you for the guidance Dr. Jeff, on the milk thistle and CBD. So I was thinking actually that the same dosage of trazadone---or ANY medication generic can be metabolized differently especially if the enteric coatings are different. I as speaking today to a professional who validated this with one of her patients who received a generic of a medication.... one had a coating that was broken down in the small intestine and the other in the stomach, thereby the patient was receiving an OVERDOSE of the medication depending on where it was broken down. All generics are not equivalent because of this reason. So I do believe Blossom had an overdose with the new brand. I have the old brand and went back to it and she got more of her energy back and less depression. I think people should know this. I have my own experience with an antibiotic I took in the 90's, same thing, worked with the brand but when they put me on the generic did not work. I think it is important to stay on the same brand. Poor Blossom was walking slower than my 15 year old was who was just chuggin along the last few months of his life.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Regarding weaning, Kim's wise words are exactly what I would say as well (thanks Kim!).

Great idea! Yes, CBDs could ease the way into a medication free life for Blossom.

Yes! It should be no problem to give them at the same time but perhaps give her an extra Happy Meal with the milk thistle a few hours after the Trazadone.
One other question :) Would Denamarin be a better choice for liver detox. I never liked the Blue Lake in it but I think they said they have a version without the Blue Lake. I had some for JJ but it did not come in a blister pack which was curious to me. I thought that Denamarin was sensitive to moisture/air etc... thus the blister pack. But this other version doesn't have that packaging. Any opinion on milk thistle (i.e. she is getting Jarrow) versus the Denamarin? I am talking to my vet soon but he doesn't know about this stuff. He does sell Denamarin so I am sure he would give me some for Blossom. Thanks for your opinion! :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Would Denamarin be a better choice for liver detox.
It might be good Lil to switch products and add the SAme. I'm not sure what Blue Lake is?

Here's another liver supplement to consider for continuing her detox and liver support:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom