• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Thyroid - Elevated TgAA with no symptoms

Deena

All-Access Member
Registered
Warning: This is my 1st post so hopefully I don't accidentally break any rules :)

Vickie is a 2.5 yr old intact female Toller. She is 5th generation naturally reared & homeopathically treated on her sire’s side and 2nd gen “mostly” NR on her dams side (Mom received D&P at 7wks, 1 worming and no other suppression at Vickie's conception . I see no active signs of chronic disease in either her dam or sire before and after her birth. Vickie is still “unsuppressed” except for 1 dose of Strongid at 4 wks old and anesthesia needed for her PennHip clearance procedure. She is seen at least monthly by a Chiropractor. Has a Certified Classical Homeopath for a primary vet and an excellent integrative vet. NONE of us can find any symptoms to work with except some minor quirks that are really a breed trait. Her lab work says she has a rip roaring case of autoimmune thyroiditis. And as we all know…you treat symptoms and not blood work.

During her breeding clearances, her OFA Antech Thyroid Panel came back with a TgAA of 78 (normal is under 10). In all my years of breeding, I have never had a thyroid issue…and I’m anal about checking. All other thyroid function was WNL. I was feeding lots of trachea and necks at the time and thought maybe she was accidentally eating thyroid gland to explain this bizarre result. I removed all food from her diet, close to a neck, and repeated her thyroid panel with Hemolife. Her TgAA increased 107 with all others factors being WNL. As per Jean Dodds, she was started on Thyro-Tabs .2 BID and retested in 4 mos. On meds her TgAA increased 107 to 130 with thyroid function still WNL. Jean’s recommendation was to increase dose to .3 BID. Due to prescription bottle label malfunction, I actually gave her .6 BID for about 1 mo prior testing. Her TgAA decreased from 130 to 73, but her T4’s went through the roof. Still, she is showing ZERO symptoms with a whole bunch of folks “in the know” picking her over trying to find something to work with homeopathically.

Vickie appears very “balanced” physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually. In fact, the most balanced dog I have ever owned/bred.
She has elevated TgAA and has been positive for Lyme and A phag. She shows no symptoms of either.
After 2 intakes, her classical homeopath can find no symptoms to work up a case for her.
Her integrated vet recently found a mild calcium deficiency via muscle testing (parathyroid?), mild adrenal exhaustion, liver stagnation and a mild “intensity” in her eyes upon exam (breed trait). She agreed there not many exhibiting symptoms to work with. Various energy healers aren't finding much to work with either. I will be consulting a communicator who is a breeder herself, knows my line and "gets" classical homeopathy.

Dr Jeff presented her case at last month's seminar. She is my medical alert dog so was also present. Dr Jeff recommended I post her case here to see if others have any ideas. Since the seminar, I have discontinued her thyroid meds and have tweeked her diet to address the "stagnation and heat" that has come up from a few healers now. My goal is to get a better understanding of why her TgAA is so high and to hopefully be able to treat it with curative modalities, rather than to suppress or palliate.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome Deena we're glad to see you here!

Thanks for sharing Vickie's interesting case.

One question we did not address at the seminar is whether her immune system is actually recognizing the thyroglobulin as a foreign protein.

There are no reported cases that I can find in the literature, but it may still be that the antibodies are actually being stimulated by something else.

In addition, my friend Anthony wrote a great book about thyroid dis-eases if you want to venture outside the realm of current conventional medicine:

I'll let you know when I get a reply from Dr. Dodds regarding the question of cross reactivity.

Deena

All-Access Member
Registered
Anthony's book is free on Audible. THANKS!

I've also wondered about cross reactivity to something else. My only other abnormal TgAA has been a few "equivocals", 10-25, in dogs actively fighting tick disease. Once their immune system goes back into "power saver mode" their TgAA has gone down to negative.

1. Would there be clues in her lab reports over time?
While her WBC has always been normal, over 10 does tend to mean an infection is brewing in my line. U/A on 7/22 was also normal.

DATE​
Lab​
E Equi​
Lyme​
WBC​
Alb​
Glob​
UP:C​
Norm​
1:10​
1:640​
4-15.5​
2.7-4.4​
1.6-3.6​
4/21/18​
ProtaTek​
1:40​
1:1280​
9.76​
3.6​
2.3​
10/24/18​
Hemolife​
7.1​
3.4​
2.7​
7/18/19​
Hemolife​
11.6​
3.0​
3.1​
7/22/19​
0.1​

2. If there is cross reactivity, could it raise her TgAA that much? Or is this a situation of where her vital force is so strong, it will/can react stronger than other dogs?

(ps: your "because they can" lecture has been tested over the years. Last was Vickie's Grammy spiking an "unreadable" temp because all the thermometers at the ER only went to 109.9. She was able to wobbly walk into the vet and respond to commands. While the vets freaked, I kept telling myself "because she can". I sprung her a few hours later and she was begging to retrieve the next morning. You taught me well.)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm so glad that you've embraced the awe-some (and often unknown) possibilities of natural healing!

Yes, it is often great to see symptoms like high fevers because they reflect the body's ability to respond to some environmental stimulus like a pathogen or toxin.

Regarding the cross reactivity question that I posed to Dr. Dodds, she does not know of anything.

She considers this to be a very accurate test.

Even so, I have the same advice as during the seminar.

That is to start treating homeopathically, even tho it seems that the antibody level is the only symptom.

Continue to treat and monitor the internal symptoms every 3-4 months.

I'd also advise use of a great thyroid glandular during treatment.

Something like Thyro-GO from Pet's Friend.

Dr. Dodds is of the opinion that these do not help but I continue to use them in most of my thyroid patients.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for giving our community a great example of how even with generations of healthy living, there can be a blood abnormality yet still have a dog who is super healthy and has no symptoms.

Sometimes when there are no symptoms, I (more than Dr. Jeff) do turn to both Chiropractic evaluation (ask your monthly chiro if she can pick up any imbalances), TCVM evaluation of tongue and pulse (and see if you can do them yourself) to help with early symptoms of energetic imbalance, and keep tracking BEAM and early warning signs of internal imbalance.

One way of working with the inuitive is to be asking what is happening, how your dog is feeling, what she wants to tell you; rather than what is wrong or what treatment is needed.

Dr. Christina

Deena

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr Christina for your input....we think alike :)

I have taken her off meds since we spoke and I'm seeing "no change". I will start her on glandulars as Dr Jeff recommended. Right before the seminar, Vickie had a very thorough exam with my TCVM vet when my Classical Homeopathy Vet wasn't finding much to work with. She found a mild calcium deficiency via muscle testing (parathyroid?), mild adrenal exhaustion, mild liver stagnation and a mild “intensity” in her eyes upon exam. She feels this can best be helped by tweaking her diet with foods to address these issues. I have started doing this, using the book "Yin & Yang Nutrition for Dogs: Maximizing Health with Whole Foods, Not Drugs" as a guide. I will be bring her back to the TCVM vet for follow-up and her next blood draw in a few months. I will have her review with me, again, tongue & pulse so I can better monitor myself.

My regular chiro isn't finding any imbalances. I may bring her to another chiropractor, who works with Dr Martha Lindsay, to see if she can find something to work with. She is getting frequent Reiki, remote and hands on, hoping to loosen stuff up so symptoms become clearer.

My next step is to get on the schedule of an intuitive. Thanks for the nudge and pointers on what and how to ask. One emerging theme here, is that Vickie is getting me reconnected with people & activities I have let slide while I worked through some personal gunk. Attending seminars and reconnecting with different types of healers is one of her lessons.

Dr Jeff - I've been pondering the cross reactivity question and noticed she has never been tested for T3AA and T4AA. Could these tests help differentiate whether it is really her thyroid or something else her endocrine system is reacting to? I don't see these tests on the Cornell panel. They are on the MSU panel. Do you know if they are available at Cornell but perhaps a separate test?

Thanks again for all your help. Deena

PS: My avatar is my foundation bitch Buddie and newborn Lightning. My 1st completely NR puppy who thrived under homeopathic care.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom