• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Teddy (cat) - is there a limit on how much beef he should eat

RuthR

All-Access Member
Registered
My 13 year old male Maine Coon cat has been on a raw diet since June of 2021. His health challenges are chronic rhinitis and hyperthyroidism. He had his teeth cleaned two months ago for periodontitis. He has been receiving treatment from a homeopathic vet since October 2022.

I have the opportunity to buy a quarter of a steer (about 120 pounds), grass fed, from a local farmer. I have been giving Teddy raw chicken strips once a day so he must chew them to try to help clean his teeth, and he gets both ground chicken and ground beef made with Feline Instincts premix for his meals every day. I am trying to find a source for chicken necks to help clean his teeth, but so far my only option is to buy 40 pounds.

If I switch to raw beef strips once a day (instead of chicken) and give him more beef than chicken every day, would that be bad for him – would it be too much red meat?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
If I switch to raw beef strips once a day (instead of chicken) and give him more beef than chicken every day, would that be bad for him – would it be too much red meat?
I think it's fine as long as his phosphorus and kidneys were OK at the last blood test.

Does he like the red meat,and will this muscle meat be the primary component of his diet?

Perhaps also ask the farmer if you can purchase (and they should be pretty cheap) the glands and organs from the cow.

RuthR

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for your response, Dr. Jeff. I attached Teddy's bloodwork from 11/08/22, but it's not a complete panel, so I'm not sure if it has everything you're looking for. The dentist did it because she wanted to make sure his kidneys were okay before she cleaned his teeth.

Teddy loves his raw ground burger, maybe even more than the ground chicken. If I purchase the beef from the farmer, I'll still give Teddy raw beef and chicken every day, but it will be more beef than chicken.

Attachments

• Bloodwork on 11-08-22.pdf
    191.8 KB · Views: 2

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sounds good Ruth (and the blood test results look good).

The whole chunks of meat and beef strips will do a much better job of keeping his teeth clean than the ground meats and poultry.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Also, be sure you are tracking all his symptoms in a journal, and understanding "cure",. "palliation", and "suppression" so you can be a partner with your homeopathic vet (who is she/he?) in evaluating responses to remedies and foods.The strips of beef and/or chicken are great for the teeth. If the remedy is working well, the gums should be perfect!
Dr. Christina

RuthR

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks, Dr. Christina and Dr. Jean! Teddy's homeopathic vet is Dr. Ila Tewari since October of 2022 when I discovered homeopathy.

I asked the dentist for clarification on their findings during Teddy's cleaning that was done on 11/08/2022, and here is what they said: "Teddy is missing his upper right first and second incisor, his upper left first incisor and his upper right molar. Teddy did not have any marked pocketing around any of his remaining teeth but has some minor recession over his bottom right canine tooth and slight mobility over his bottom left first incisor. Overall, that puts him in as stage 1-2 periodontitis. He also had multiple root fractures over his incisors but nothing needed to be done about that at this time".

Is this level of periodontitis something that can be managed and prevented from getting any worse? Will I have to keep taking him to have his teeth cleaned (and be under anesthesia)? This is why I am trying to find out everything I can do to take care of him.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Is this level of periodontitis something that can be managed
IMHO, yes!
Will I have to keep taking him to have his teeth cleaned (and be under anesthesia)?
That's a great question Ruth! It will depend on his individual susceptibility to tooth/gum problems. This is related to things like the number of vaccines and drugs he has gotten throughout life as well as diet, dental care, etc.

The NZ Derr Velvet sprat can be helpful (both for prevention and management or oral issues).

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom