• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Swollen nipples

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Sara @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina

My intact senior pup has been scratching her belly for two days. I noticed that two of her nipples are a bit swollen (please see photos). I felt her tummy area and don’t feel any lumps. Her last cycle ended in November 2021. Her BEAM has been decent except for her desire to be out sniff walking is reduced. Please advise. Thank you!

C6F6D6C7-1E7C-4276-8C1B-ACD29618D3D0.jpeg

EA424BA5-D2C5-4583-9EDA-BE9E6AE45B2A.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Christine,
A cycle ending at the very end of November would have resulted in false whelping (also called pseudocyesis or false pregnancy, though false whelping is the more accurate term) 63 days after the fertile part of the cycle at the end of January. However, if you are off a bit, or your girl has a particularly long or split cycle, enlarged nipples could be a mild sign of false whelping. It is unusual for a female to become itchy with this, though some will clean their groin area more. Females with false whelping can also be a bit moody.

It is unlikely that this is a sign of pyometra, though I would be remiss if I did not mention the possibility, coming as this does after the heat cycle. There may or may not be vaginal discharge with pyometra; often all that people notice is a decreased BEAM. (I am assuming that your girl has her uterus; females with a total hysterectomy, or OSS, who still have their ovaries cycle normally, but can not get pyometra.)
This article describes pyometra well:

Other possible causes of an itchy groin are allergies, contact sensitivity, and external parasites. I would start with gently cleaning the area, and carefully using a flea comb to look for flea dirt. Assess whether there are any irritants with which she may have been in contact. The skin does not look damaged, so if you can determine the cause of itch, this should resolve with minimal intervention.
Stay well,
Dr. Sara

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Christine!

Thanks for sharing that great post Dr. Sara!

Is Hope exhibiting any other subtle signs of pre-heat behavior (nesting, whiny, changes in appetite, etc.)?

The enlarged nipples don't particularly worry me but you might want to have your local vet palpate her mammary glands and give her a general senior exam.

See 'ya tonight at the Q&A and decision-making webinar.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Sara and @Dr. Jeff - Thank you for the thorough explanation. Her BEAM is good and did not itch the entire day (she also got groomed today) until after her snuffle session tonight. I checked her belly area during the day and all looked fine...but tonight, the area appeared reddish again after she scratched the area twice.

She had her senior wellness exam this past December (2021) and Dr. Gordon (her local integrative vet) did not feel anything. And to answer your question, @Dr. Jeff - no, she does not exhibit any of those behaviors you mentioned.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Sara, @Dr. Christina and @Dr. Jeff - Tonight I noticed hard tissue around one of Hope's nipples and another area by her vulva. (See photos.) I started applying ASEA gel (she also takes the liquid orally) as well as CBD salves on these areas and will start her on ozone therapy (via rectal insufflation) tomorrow. She's on medicinal mushrooms and CBDA daily. She also gets Assisi treatments on the area daily.

Anything else I can do? What could this be? Her BEAM has been very good.

I will take her in to her local integrative vet soon to get cancer screening test (It is very expensive!). Thank you in advance for your advice. ?

S__43360311.jpg

S__43360313.jpg

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Christine,
These areas appear to be hyperpigmented, and hyperpigmented tissue can also become thickened. Hyperpigmentation and thickening are typically a response to irritation - a lot of dogs develop this after they have been licking or bothering an area, similar to the way a callus can develop on your own hands. Are these the areas that Hope was licking before? If so, that could be the simple and benign answer, though you are wise to have her examined to be certain.
Stay well,
Sara

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Dear Christine,
These areas appear to be hyperpigmented, and hyperpigmented tissue can also become thickened. Hyperpigmentation and thickening are typically a response to irritation - a lot of dogs develop this after they have been licking or bothering an area, similar to the way a callus can develop on your own hands. Are these the areas that Hope was licking before? If so, that could be the simple and benign answer, though you are wise to have her examined to be certain.
Stay well,
Sara
Thanks, Dr. Sara, for your response! Yes, this is the area Hope was scratching before. We're scheduled to be seen by her integrative vet on 3/30 :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Christine-

I'm glad to hear that Hope's BEAM is very good!
Anything else I can do? What could this be? Her BEAM has been very good.
Hard to say what this is but your local vet's exam should give you a better idea (rule outs include fibrotic/thickened tissue, cystic ducts and other dis-eases, etc).

In addition to the great stuff that you're already doing perhaps try some hands on lymphatic drainage of he areas adjacent to the thickenings.

You can do the drainage by stroking her in the areas while you intently visualize clear flow of lymph into and out of the area.

Dr. Bengston (who has done much of the incredible work on intention) will be our honored guest on Monday.

Since you can learn to use his method, you may want to look into his online trainings (I think there's one coming up).

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks @Dr. Jeff - I’m downloading the audio teaching by Dr. Bengston as I’m typing this message.

If Hope’s integrative vet suggests biopsy, is it something we need? I’m hoping that by 3/30 (when our appointment is), these areas would already be healed by using those modalities (mentioned above).

You suggested that I scheduled our follow-up appointment with you for 3-4 weeks later. Should I schedule one sooner? I prefer homeopathy over other treatments. Thanks!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Christine!

1. Aspirate if you want a better idea of the tumor (which means swelling) type. An aspirate can be super helpful for a diagnosis if something is found. Negative aspirates don't rule out malignancy (only removal can do that).

2. Whether you schedule an early recheck or not is totally up to you Christine. Some clients do that (and some even have pre-schedule fine-tuning" rechecks every 2 weeks) but it depends on your budget. I'm happy to support Hope here on the forum.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks, @Dr. Jeff

1. Noted!
2. Got it - yes, I believe we had weekly/bi-weekly appointments for Koby :) Thank you for supporting Hope here on the forum as well : )

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Here's a quick update: We've been consistently applying ASEA gel and REMEDY (a CBD salve) on the area as well as giving her ozone therapy three times a week... As of today, the hardened area has reduced in size.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom