• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Spring = itchy dog?

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
Spring is springing, the wind is blowing, and both Bobby (1.5yo, M/N, GSD mix, 65lbs) and I are starting to get itchy skin. Nothing insane or causing excessive scratching, paw licking, or hot spots (I'm talking about just Bobby now. I'm not licking my paws.), but if Bobby's like me, he'd rather feel less itchy. Bobby's BEAM is great other than the occasional itchy face, ears, and legs. We go walking in areas with tall grasses and Bobby sticks his face in everything, and likes to walk with the grasses and plants brushing against his body. I check him daily and haven't found any fleas or ticks. >knock on wood<. He's eating half raw/half cooked fresh, and the last of the Simparica Trio should be out of his system by now (if not mostly. Last dose was March 3rd). Hasn't had any antibiotics for about a month (5 days of metro for some diarrhea caused by the Simparica Trio), and so I would think that his gut is on the mend (he's been on BiFido for almost a month). I'm starting to wipe his paws after walks, just in case he's picking anything up that's irritating his paws, and that might be helping the licking. Anything I can do for the rest of his skin (internally or topically)? Maybe a damp wipe after walks, like I do for his feet?

(oh, and for his ears, if I see he's scratching, I'll typically put a little 99% aloe mixed with some Wondercide ear wash on a cotton ball and swab the visible parts of his ear, which seems to reduce the itching. No redness in the ears other than that which is caused by circulation, like after a walk in the heat)

I should also probably add that he's probably having his spring shed as well (which might very well be the cruz of his itching). I rake him near daily. Not sure how to help with the shedding on his face though, so some advice there would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Anything I can do for the rest of his skin (internally or topically)? Maybe a damp wipe after walks, like I do for his feet?
Yes! Wiping him down all over after a walk is a great idea! Along with continued brushing and occasional shampooing:

Now is also a great time to start about 1 tsp./day of local honey to help gear up his immune response to the pollen.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom