• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

SOS: Hintza dog with osteosarcoma has acute intense pain in remaining front leg

DaisyB

All-Access Member
Registered
Dear Holistic friends.

I’m in the truck on my way to a backpacking weekend. We just discovered that our dog Hintza after a three hour car drive could not step or stand on her front leg. I just gave her to my daughter to drive her back h ome to Baltimore. And my daughter is taking her to the vet on the wayhome. we have two questions.
1. Besides swelling in her front leg joints, and pain, what could be going on?
2. If the doctor recommends a pain medicine which is the safest. ?
3. Is there a homeopathic or other remedy that you recommend?
Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear about Hintza.

1. Stiffness and cramping from 3 hours in the car.

2. Arnica 10M.

NSAIDs like Rimadyl and Metacam both can cause big problems.

Gabapentin and Trakmadol are safer and milder (If she even needs any drugs).

3. Arnica.

DaisyB

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you. She’s gotten arnica and is now able to stand on front leg to pee etc . We are doing healing touch. And laser soon. Thank you soooo much.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Daisy. I'm so glad hat Hintza is better!:snowman:

If she's not continuing to improve, you may want to redose the Arnica.

DaisyB

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you for the continued advice. Hintza is having up and down moments. We are taking her into the vet on Wednesday to have her examined. They are likely to suggest an anti-inflammatory. Could you remind us again which anti-inflammatories are milder and not likely to cause GI symptoms?
We will continue the arnica.
Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Daisy-

How's Hintza doing?

DaisyB

All-Access Member
Registered
Dear Dr. Jeff, Meg just arrived home from the vet and they did an X-ray which shows that she has tumors in her chest. Hintza is not coughing or showing any signs of lung distress at the moment.
The vet prescribed Rimadyl for inflammation although after doing research, we are discovering that Rimadyl can cause serious liver damage. So we are not using it.

Hintza walks pretty fine off and on. And then sometimes does not. This morning she fell down while peeing. We are keeping a harness on her and carrying her up and down stairs and inside and outside the house as needed.

I have been giving her Chinese herbal medicine based on my best diagnosis and knowledge as an herbalist. I think that it has helped with inflammation and signs of heat (redder tongue, drinking more water and feelings of heat from her body). I've been doing acupuncture every three days or so and as needed. The local vet who does Chinese medicine has been out with neck surgery so we don't have an appointment with her until June 30.

So we are at another pivot point. Your thoughts are welcome as we are just trying to process everything and do the best we can by her.
Thanks,
daisy

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear about Hintza's pulmonary metastasis. :(

Fortunately, the lung lesions are not effecting her.

If you have not already been doing so, now would be a great time to start monitoring her resting respiratory rate by counting the rise and fall of her chest when she is resting (not right after eating or exerting herself).

We can further individualize her and decide what to do by following up on our 12/29 appointment.

How are you currently dosing the homeopathic medicine?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom