• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Should I get my cat tested for HIV and leukemia

KathyS

VIP Member
Registered
Hello, I took a homeless cat in a year ago and not knowing any better got him vaccinated in November 2022. He was an inside outside cat. I tried keeping him inside but he was so depressed. So I let him out and my neighbors kept feeding him garbage (despite my pleas not to feed him) and he started looking very lethargic, drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot. he also looked disorientated. Hence I put my foot down and refused to let him out and he has a vet appointment tomorrow for full blood work. The technician wanted to know if I wanted to get him tested for HIV and leukemia. I'm thinking about it since I'm thinking of looking for a kitten to keep him company as the transition from outside cat to inside cat has been hard on him and he is pretty depressed right now. Wanted to get feed back on if you think I should test the cat. My first reaction is no, but I don't want a kitten to get infected with something if he has it. Any feedback? Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Kathy!
I wanted to get him tested for HIV and leukemia
Yes, it's a good idea. Especially since you may be introducing a new kitty.

KathyS

VIP Member
Registered
Well the cat got a clean bill of health thankfully. Only the vet snookered me into giving him his rabies and distemper despite me letting them know he will be indoors from here on out. I'm also keeping my outdoor cat inside now, but I know the vaccinations will make her nervous so I decided not to get her tested since she doesn't get crap food like the tomcat used to. The good news is that he is eating a lot healthier now. I will need to find a pet sitter when I visit my dad since they will require full vaccinations when boarding.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great news about the tests! 😻 :thumbsup:

Only rabies every 3 years is "required".

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom