• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Seeking individualized remedy for pup with constant diarrhea

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello HA! Community (@Dr. Christina and @Dr. Jeff),

My dog, Hope, is 11 years old. She has been having abnormal stool for the past few days and we've tried what we can to help her but so far not so much success. Dr. Jeff's schedule is all booked until July so I was hoping I can get some help here. I'm a huge believer in homeopathy but have very limited knowledge.

I was hoping, by providing more details here, I can get an "almost" individualized remedy for Hope's conditions.

1. Your pet's name - Hope
  2. Approximate age - 11 years old
  3. Sex - Female
  4. Neutering status - intact (Last estrus cycle: ~5/20/2021)
  5. Breed: Mixed
  6. Approximate weight: 11lbs
  7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) -
    1. Behavior and Mood: She was a stray dog. We rescued her in January of this year. She was very timid - afraid of human and dogs. She had full dental extraction done in April 2021. After dental extraction, she became very outgoing and sociable. However, she became timid when we are out walking again recently. She loves to chase cats in the neighborhood and birds in the bushes. Very curious and loving. Energy - avid snuffle mats snuffler. Loves to go outside. Loves being petted (belly rubs). Very easy to handle.
    2. Appetite - overall good but had her picky moments.
  8. Diet: one mashed hard boiled egg per day. Raw protein blends in rotations: rabbit, duck, beef, pork (by a local provider) & Answers nibbles (beef, duck, turkey, pork), Green juju, Sea Kelp, raw goat's milk, various bone broth..etc. [Supplements: CoQmax/Moxxor, ElleVet, Ubiquinol, IONBiome, ASEA, CAS Options, Five Defenders by Real Mushrooms (both mushrooms recommended by Dr. Basko), Dr. Harvey's Runs Be Gone, RX Essentials Rx Clay, MitoMax.etc. Not all are given together or every day]; since she started having diarrhea, I have started giving her cooked lean organic ground turkey with organic sweet potato.
  9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication - unknown. Once I got her, I did all titer testings. No more vaccines from now on.
  10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time - She had GI issues when she first came to us in January. We put her on cooked food then slowly transitioned her to raw diet. We gave her Nux Vomica 30c back in April under the instructions of Dr. Jeff and it cleared the problem. This time, I am hesitant giving Nux again because she's showing other symptoms - smelly ears, more licking of the vulva area, runny nose, some eye goo. I'm constantly observing her BEAM and making sure she's not showing any signs of Pyometra. This started on and around 6/15 - anything else happening around that time? Yes, very hot weather suddenly and she ate poo while we were on our walk :( We added a little bonito flakes on her food as topper. Other than that, nothing new.
  11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? Before this condition, she would go #2 in the afternoon. Since the condition started, she always goes in the early morning.
  12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them) - no, not for GI issues.
  13. Current and previous treatment - she's getting cooked food for one meal a day. Ozone rectal insufflation three times a week. RxClay and Runs Be Gone and MitoMax. GI Goe by AnimalEO and Digest Woes by Green Hope Farm.
  14. Other health concerns - slight enlarged heart (due to age); coughing sometimes - when she's having GI upset.
Please help. Thank you.

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hiya Christine-

After dental extraction, she became very outgoing and sociable. However, she became timid when we are out walking again recently.

What does timid look like? Not wanting to go out, shaking, panting, hiding, etc?

As you know, changes in behavior and symptom modalities are often keys to finding the remedy.

Is she drinking more or less?

Did you see any change in BEAM (not diarrhea or other individual symptoms) after Nux?

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello @Dr. Jeff

Timid - she still loves being out. But she walks/turns away from dogs and their persons. Especially with a few specific dogs, she would hide behind my legs. There's a dog named Itsy whom Hope loved to play with when she was during her estrus cycle (Itsy is a female pup), but now when Hope sees her, Hope would turn around and run. I thought that's very strange.

She's still NOT drinking water. I'm getting her hydrated via bone broth in food. I also soak air dried heart treats (for snuffle mats) and she would finish that bowl of water. Otherwise, she never touches her water bowl.

I looked through my journal again, Nux was given on 3/25, 3/26, and I noted on 3/27 that she "seek cold more than usual" and that poo was still soft/watery until 3/28 and she drank water (just water!) on 3/28.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for the additional details Christine.

Have you ever given Hope Pulsatilla? If so, what was her response to it?

Perhaps you should read about the symptoms it can cause/cure in a materia medica, and decide if it might be good to use for Hope.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks @Dr. Jeff - no, I have never dosed her Pulsatilla before.

I read on pulsatilla, and YES, what I read fit her symptoms very well.

What potency would you recommend? I believe I have it in 30C and 6C. How many whacks and do I give her Q-tip dose? Once per day to start with?

I checked and re-checked on Hope's excessive licking - she's been liking her anus a lot (I was concerned she's was licking her vulva) and it does have foul smell. I don't express her anal gland. What can I do about this? I've never done hot compress on a dog. How often do I do it and how long each time? Would this change the remedy?

Last edited:

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Put a few drops of rescue remedy (if you have it) into hot water in a bowl. Soak a cloth in the water and then hold it over her anal area. It is ok if her tail folds down over it. In a few minutes, remove and redunk in the hot water. Put on again. Do as long as she tolerates it.

In addition, I would suggest scheduling your client appointment with Dr. Jeff so you can be guided carefully to unwind all of her problems. What you are doing on the forum is great, and having that appointment already scheduled for a few weeks from now will assure deep healing.

And maybe re-visit all the supplements with him when you do have the appointment.

Dr. Christina

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks @Dr. Christina - I will try the hot compress.
I look forward to receiving instructions on the Pulstilla dosage - I can tell today that Hope is just not her normal self.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi @Dr. Christina - I followed your instructions and did hot compress on Hope's anal area three times today. She loved it (she actually fell asleep) and I'm happy to report that it's working - there's less fluid and she's licking the area less. Thanks again! :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
One way to test her sensitivity tot the Puls. 30c, or many treatments, is with a single test dose.

Most commonly that is done in homeopathy by adding 1 pellet to 8 oz. of bottle/filtered water. Succuss the cup 10x and give 1 Q-tip dose.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
One way to test her sensitivity tot the Puls. 30c, or many treatments, is with a single test dose.

Most commonly that is done in homeopathy by adding 1 pellet to 8 oz. of bottle/filtered water. Succuss the cup 10x and give 1 Q-tip dose.
I"m on it! Just gave Hope her very first dose of Puls 30c 10/Q-tip

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff - I haven't seen too much change in Hope since I dosed her yesterday - except that her stomach did not gurgle last night. However, she had loose stool again this morning :confused:

No other noticeable changes...

Do I dose her again or wait and see?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sure!

EdwinA

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Christine.

I was wondering if the diarrhoea coincided with a change in diet? Some of the ingredients in that diet - although they are amazing - could potentially cause diarrhoea. If so you could try eliminating some of them for a short while to see if it makes a difference.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi @EdwinA - Thank you for the great suggestion; I appreciate it very much. :) I have been trying to keep her meals as simple as possible with very little supplements. What puzzled me was that she did not have drastic changes in diet before and during diarrhea. The only drastic changes in her life at the onset was severe weather change (heat wave) and she ate poop on our walk. But good news, she had firm stool (ended with ONE drop of liquid) this morning. Pusatillia 30c is workin', @Dr. Jeff ?!:p

EdwinA

All-Access Member
Registered
That’s so good! Hopefully the diarrhoea goes completely! Hot weather can give anyone the shits.

The poo-eating could indicate a slight lack of some mineral, maybe lost through the diarrhoea - there are lots of minerals that are at unnaturally low in the modern food chain, like molybdenum, magnesium, iodine etc. You could try fulvic/humic minerals, which provide full spectrum minerals in a natural highly bioavailable form.

Fulvic/humic minerals iHerb

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks so much for the info, @EdwinA. I will look into this. How much do I give? Hope is about 11lbs.

@Dr. Jeff - would IonBiome serve this purpose?

EdwinA

All-Access Member
Registered
I also think wild Alaskan salmon is really good for iodine, vit d, omega-3s, astaxanthin etc. My cats eats almost entirely chicken thighs and salmon. I think it covers pretty much the whole nutritional spectrum.

Btw did the diarrhoea coincide with the ASEA at all - that’s pretty salty, right?

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Interesting that you asked about ASEA...when I started ASEA orally for Hope, she did have loose stool. I asked Katie about it and she said it's not common but possible - a detoxing process. Since then I stopped giving Hope ASEA orally but I continue to use it on her topically.

Have you tried ASEA?

I gave Hope krill oils that contain astaxanthin and she could not stand the taste. I don't think she likes anything too fishy but I can try. Where do they get calcium though?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom