• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Salt Water and Trigger for Seizures

JacquelineN

Community Member
Registered
Hi, I’m looking for some guidance as we leave for vacation this week and will be taking our Golden Retriever, 1-1/2 years old….My question has to do with whether she should be allowed to swim in salt water. I’m asking because our last Golden, a male who had seizures did swim in salt water when we were away and had a seizure a day after swimming in this particular salty pond. While my current Golden is a healthy dog so of course, I would not want to risk letting her swim in salt water if it’s a trigger. I was told by a vet at one point that salt water can trigger seizures in dogs even in those without seizure disorders….Is this something that anyone has information about? I’ve not found anything about this on anything I’ve read….Thank you for your thoughts.

image.jpg

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Never heard of that, although if they swallowed too much of the salt water to cause excess blood sodium (hypernatremia) that can cause seizures.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
whether she should be allowed to swim in salt water.
Yes! Especially if she loves swimming.
salt water can trigger seizures in dogs even in those without seizure disorders….Is this something that anyone has information about? I’ve not found anything about this on anything I’ve read
The only physiologic reason is the hypernatremia that DDr. Jean mentioned. Energetically though, anything can act as a trigger (but not a cause).

In 39 years of practice, I've never seen salt water act as a trigger. In fact, there's a product that use salt water therapeutically!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom