• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Rocco Popcorn, 5 month old border collie miniature poodle mix has a mild cough and tested positive for bordetella. What is best treatment?

JoanY

All-Access Member
Registered
Do not know dosages to give him for antioxidants and Bixbi Immunity vitamins. Can you help?
Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for making your first post Joan.

Does and suitability of supplements depends on the specific situation (why are you using them) and which antioxidants and Bixbi vitamins you mean.

For what purpose are you using them?

BTW-Here's some of the information about your pet that would help us answer your questions:

JoanY

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for making your first post Joan.

Does and suitability of supplements depends on the specific situation (why are you using them) and which antioxidants and Bixbi vitamins you mean.

For what purpose are you using them?

BTW-Here's some of the information about your pet that would help us answer your questions:

Rocco P is 5 months old
Male, not neutered
mix border collie/ miniature poodle
10 lbs
Active, curious, attentive, playful, very good energy, good appetite, good digestion, happy boy
cough started at live-in Trainer at 10 weeks old; was given antibiotics
coughs with extreme exercise, often after drinking water.
Diagnosis of Bordetella about 3 weeks ago. Lungs clear. Otherwise healthy.
Would like to strengthen his immune system.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for the additional info. Joan.

The very best ways to strengthen his immune system and optimize his lungs to minimize coughing is with the vitality and balance methods discussed in the Holistic Fun-damentals course.

The Happiness Protocol is another great way to do this:

Setting up your free monthly Holistic Medical Decision Making call with myself or @Dr. Christina would be yet another way to look at things like his diet, lifestyle, symptoms, etc.

Speaking of diet, what is he eating (and what foods have you tried)?

JoanY

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for the additional info. Joan.

The very best ways to strengthen his immune system and optimize his lungs to minimize coughing is with the vitality and balance methods discussed in the Holistic Fun-damentals course.

The Happiness Protocol is another great way to do this:

Setting up your free monthly Holistic Medical Decision Making call with myself or @Dr. Christina would be yet another way to look at things like his diet, lifestyle, symptoms, etc.

Speaking of diet, what is he eating (and what foods have you tried)?
He is eating Honest Kitchen Grain Free. We add Bananas, Pumpkin, Apple.
I appreciate your help!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Joan. It's my pleasure and honor to get to help.

Have you tried and other foods for him like chicken, beef, wild blueberries, eggs, etc?

What does he love to do more than anything else?

JoanY

All-Access Member
Registered
He loves to play with our 14 year old Cavalier King Chas.Teddy, and loves to run laps around the living room including jumping on and off the sofas.

Haven't tried the foods you've mentioned. We get various types of Honest Kitchen - chicken, beef, turkey. I will give him wild blueberries. Do you mean pure beef and chicken - cooked or raw?

Having difficulty finding Fun-damentals on website.....

Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sounds great Joan that Rocco loves to play!

A great way to optimize his immune function and cellular energy is the super happiness of play with other dogs (if he likes anyone other than Teddy that is).

Lightly cooked or raw is best for meat to retain maximal vitality and energy. Big chunks and bones keep teeth clean and help prevent many problems.

@aruna, I'd appreciate if you point Joan to Fun-damentals.

Thanks!

JoanY

All-Access Member
Registered
Sounds great Joan that Rocco loves to play!

A great way to optimize his immune function and cellular energy is the super happiness of play with other dogs (if he likes anyone other than Teddy that is).

Lightly cooked or raw is best for meat to retain maximal vitality and energy. Big chunks and bones keep teeth clean and help prevent many problems.

@aruna, I'd appreciate if you point Joan to Fun-damentals.

Thanks!
Thanks for the additional info. I found fundamentals!! Very informative.
Unfortunately, because of Bordetella diagnosis, Rocco cannot be with other dogs. Frustrating.....

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
But he will be able. In time.

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Joan,
Symptomatic homeopathic treatment may also be helpful for Rocco. Symptomatic homeopathy is appropriate for acute cases.

Most of the kennel cough cases that I have treated respond nicely to either homeopathic Spongia or Rumex. Occasionally I have used the kennel cough nosode. The nosode isn’t available to lay people in the US, though Spongia, Rumex, and the other medicines I describe below are available through Washington Homeopathic or Hahnemann Labs, and often in natural health shops.

Good sanitation is the best means of prevention, as the organisms don’t live very long once they are out of the body. Usually dogs have to be stressed and in close contact with an infected dog to get the disease. Without treatment, dogs with uncomplicated kennel cough will cough for 10 to 14 days.

As long as the dog has reasonably good energy and a fairly good appetite, it is fine to treat symptomatically at first. If energy decreases, or the patient has trouble breathing, seek veterinary help.

The medicines that are often useful, and their associated signs are:
Spongia - Cough sounds as if trying to hack up something stuck in the throat. Glands in the neck may be swollen. Tired, bark may sound weak.

Rumex - Dry harsh cough, starts up quickly in cold air or when throat touched.

Ipecac - Cough with associated nausea; actually vomits after coughing, may spit up some blood.

Drosera - Hacking, irritating cough which gets really annoying. Cough ends in a retch, a few drops may come up, but not a full puddle of vomit.

Aconite - Most often used for a dog that has just started coughing, not after they have been coughing a few days.

Kennel Cough nosode (prescription only in US) - Used for dogs in contact with dogs with KC as a preventative, and sometimes for dogs with early nonspecific signs.

Choose the medicine most appropriate to the patient, and give it in a low (6X, 12X, 6C) to medium (30 C) potency after every coughing bout, up to 5 times daily for low potency, up to 3 times daily for medium potency. The easiest way to give it is to put 3 to 8 granules on a spoon with a few drops of non-chlorinated water, then tip this on to the gums, or let the pup lick it off the spoon.
I hope this helps,
Dr. Sara

JoanY

All-Access Member
Registered
Dear Joan,
Symptomatic homeopathic treatment may also be helpful for Rocco. Symptomatic homeopathy is appropriate for acute cases.

Most of the kennel cough cases that I have treated respond nicely to either homeopathic Spongia or Rumex. Occasionally I have used the kennel cough nosode. The nosode isn’t available to lay people in the US, though Spongia, Rumex, and the other medicines I describe below are available through Washington Homeopathic or Hahnemann Labs, and often in natural health shops.

Good sanitation is the best means of prevention, as the organisms don’t live very long once they are out of the body. Usually dogs have to be stressed and in close contact with an infected dog to get the disease. Without treatment, dogs with uncomplicated kennel cough will cough for 10 to 14 days.

As long as the dog has reasonably good energy and a fairly good appetite, it is fine to treat symptomatically at first. If energy decreases, or the patient has trouble breathing, seek veterinary help.

The medicines that are often useful, and their associated signs are:
Spongia - Cough sounds as if trying to hack up something stuck in the throat. Glands in the neck may be swollen. Tired, bark may sound weak.

Rumex - Dry harsh cough, starts up quickly in cold air or when throat touched.

Ipecac - Cough with associated nausea; actually vomits after coughing, may spit up some blood.

Drosera - Hacking, irritating cough which gets really annoying. Cough ends in a retch, a few drops may come up, but not a full puddle of vomit.

Aconite - Most often used for a dog that has just started coughing, not after they have been coughing a few days.

Kennel Cough nosode (prescription only in US) - Used for dogs in contact with dogs with KC as a preventative, and sometimes for dogs with early nonspecific signs.

Choose the medicine most appropriate to the patient, and give it in a low (6X, 12X, 6C) to medium (30 C) potency after every coughing bout, up to 5 times daily for low potency, up to 3 times daily for medium potency. The easiest way to give it is to put 3 to 8 granules on a spoon with a few drops of non-chlorinated water, then tip this on to the gums, or let the pup lick it off the spoon.
I hope this helps,
Dr. Sara
Thank you!!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom