• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Remedy for Rabbit Virus?

BarbR

All-Access Member
Registered
I live in a semi-rural area where I enjoy lots of wildlife. Over the past 4 years that I have lived here the rabbit population has been severely diminished by the rampant virus that is affecting a large section of the country. This year the population seemed to be bouncing back, but neighbors have just begun posting about finding dead bunnies on their properties. I keep water out for the wildlife and would like to know if there is a remedy I could add to help these little guys ward off or survive the disease?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sorry to hear about the bunny die off Barb.

Yes! Homeopathic medicines have been super effective for epidemics and infectious dis-eases in the past.

However, the specific remedy should be chosen based on symptoms shown by the bunnies. Have you seen any or have contacted the local health district to see if they know?

BarbR

All-Access Member
Registered
It' a hemorrhagic virus. I found the following in Wikipedia. No one in our neighborhood has reported any obvious outward symptoms. They just find the bunnies dead.

"RHD can vary in the rate clinical signs occur. In peracute cases, rabbits are usually found dead with no premonitory symptoms.[12] Rabbits may be observed grazing normally immediately before death.[10]

In acute cases, rabbits are inactive and reluctant to move. They may develop a fever up to 42 °C (107.6 °F) and have increased heart and respiratory rates. Bloody discharge from the nose, mouth, or vulva is common, as is blood in the feces or urine. Lateral recumbency, coma, and convulsions may be observed before death.[10]Rabbits with the acute form generally die within 12 to 36 hours from the onset of fever.[12]

Subacute to chronic RHD has a more protracted clinical course, and is more commonly noted with RHDV2 infections. Clinical signs include lethargy, anorexia, weight loss, and jaundice. Gastrointestinal dilation, cardiac arrhythmias, heart murmurs, and neurologic abnormalities can also occur.[6] Death, if it occurs, usually happens 1–2 weeks after the onset of symptoms, and is due to liver failure.[12]"

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Can you bait the bunnies with pellets of Phos?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom