• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Raw Rabbit & Turkey neck for (almost) 7 year old kitty Luna with gingivitis

Vani

Community Member
Registered
I’m looking for where I can order online raw rabbit that is fed non-gmo food. And also raw Turkey neck that is fed non-gmo food.

Raw Rabbit: Dr. Jeff recommended raw rabbit a while back and I wanted to try it as an option. I found the Viva Raw brand online, their only non-gmo fed option is rabbit which they said comes from Europe which has stricter gmo guidelines and the rabbits are fed non-gmo alfalfa. It includes a mixture of ground bone and different organs. Does anyone have experience with this brand or another brand they recommend for raw rabbit? Luna tends to vomit on raw chicken, does raw rabbit have a lot of fat like chicken? She doesn’t throw up eating raw turkey.

Raw Turkey Neck: Luna has gingivitis/infection in her teeth. I’ll be posting a picture at some point soon. Dr. Jeff recommended I feed her raw Turkey neck to help cleanse their teeth. Are their brands that others recommend and have experience with?

I appreciate your help as their Darwins is almost gone and I’ll need to be placing a new food order soon.
  1. Your pet's name: Luna
  2. Approximate age: 7 yrs old in February 2023
  3. Sex Female
  4. Neutering status Yes
  5. Breed Siamese & Tabby mix
  6. Approximate weight ~10 lbs
  7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) All are good, except we could play with Luna more. She has more energy than her brother.
  8. Diet Raw Turkey from Darwin’s, cooked unsalted wild caught salmon (human food) & unsalted wild caught canned sardines (human food).
  9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication: Right when we adopted them, they had ringworm so we didn’t know any better and gave them oral anti-fungals and took them to vet for sulphur baths for 2 month period. Then later they showed symptoms of a herpetic virus because their eyes would become severely swollen. They were given steroids and antibiotics several times. Then later we learned to give them L-Lysine and that symptom hasn’t come back. They now take the Vimergy L-Lysine and Vimergy Micro-C. They received vaccines up until Sept 2019. They don’t get them any longer.
  10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time - They’ve had gingivitis when they were young. It’s gotten worse. I’ll be giving them deer velvet spray once it arrives.
  11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? Not sure what makes gingivitis better, nothing we’ve tried up until now has made it better.
  12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them) Will take a picture shortly with a post about the gingivitis.
  13. Current and previous treatment tried brushing but too difficult. We considered getting teeth cleaning treatment but they use flouride so it doesn’t seem like it will work and may do more harm than good. Will try deer velvet spray soon.
  14. Other health concerns: recently saw a little blood in her urine. She has a history of getting UTI’s.

Thanks!
Vanya

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Vanya!
Does anyone have experience with this brand
I have no personal experience or knowledge of Viva. Many people order rabbit from Hare Today but I'm not familiar with their current sourcing.

Luna tends to vomit on raw chicken, does raw rabbit have a lot of fat like chicken?
It depends if you were feeding white or dark meat. In general tho, feeding chicken can be problematic and trigger vomiting, skin stuff and other intolerances.

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
We love Viva Raw and find it the freshest! 2 friends tried it and their animals love it and some of them refused raw until they got Viva!

Hare Today humanely Raises their own Rabbits in Pennsylvania.

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hey Vanya!

I have no personal experience or knowledge of Viva. Many people order rabbit from Hare Today but I'm not familiar with their current sourcing.

It depends if you were feeding white or dark meat. In general tho, feeding chicken can be problematic and trigger vomiting, skin stuff and other intolerances.
Chicken is very allergenic! Rabbit is LOW FAT & great for animals with allergies or sensitive tummies! Its also very cooking so great for HOT summer months and animals that have heat in the middle(Chinese Medicine/Acupuncturist Vet can determine this)!

Rabbit is so low fat you don’t want to feed it all rhe time, but great for rotation. Romtation is so important…

I’m still trying to figure out the best way to rotate enough varieties of protein!
I do rotate heating, cooling and neutral foods every season/quarter. Trying to rotate 2-3 foods at a time. Any input is appreciated! We are super limited b/c Romeo was allergic to all Poultry! As soon as he has been well and stable I’d like to try Turkey and Duck.

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Viva Raw has the highest standards & quality from all the research I and experts have done.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for this info. Lauren!

I'm trying to get more info. about Viva now...

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Thanks for this info. Lauren!

I'm trying to get more info. about Viva now...
Great! The brother and sister who own VivaRawpets.com are very approachable! Send them a message and I’m sure they’ll be happy to talk with you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks! That's great to know Lauren.

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
I’m looking for where I can order online raw rabbit that is fed non-gmo food. And also raw Turkey neck that is fed non-gmo food.

Raw Rabbit: Dr. Jeff recommended raw rabbit a while back and I wanted to try it as an option. I found the Viva Raw brand online, their only non-gmo fed option is rabbit which they said comes from Europe which has stricter gmo guidelines and the rabbits are fed non-gmo alfalfa. It includes a mixture of ground bone and different organs. Does anyone have experience with this brand or another brand they recommend for raw rabbit? Luna tends to vomit on raw chicken, does raw rabbit have a lot of fat like chicken? She doesn’t throw up eating raw turkey.

Raw Turkey Neck: Luna has gingivitis/infection in her teeth. I’ll be posting a picture at some point soon. Dr. Jeff recommended I feed her raw Turkey neck to help cleanse their teeth. Are their brands that others recommend and have experience with?

I appreciate your help as their Darwins is almost gone and I’ll need to be placing a new food order soon.
  1. Your pet's name: Luna
  2. Approximate age: 7 yrs old in February 2023
  3. Sex Female
  4. Neutering status Yes
  5. Breed Siamese & Tabby mix
  6. Approximate weight ~10 lbs
  7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) All are good, except we could play with Luna more. She has more energy than her brother.
  8. Diet Raw Turkey from Darwin’s, cooked unsalted wild caught salmon (human food) & unsalted wild caught canned sardines (human food).
  9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication: Right when we adopted them, they had ringworm so we didn’t know any better and gave them oral anti-fungals and took them to vet for sulphur baths for 2 month period. Then later they showed symptoms of a herpetic virus because their eyes would become severely swollen. They were given steroids and antibiotics several times. Then later we learned to give them L-Lysine and that symptom hasn’t come back. They now take the Vimergy L-Lysine and Vimergy Micro-C. They received vaccines up until Sept 2019. They don’t get them any longer.
  10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time - They’ve had gingivitis when they were young. It’s gotten worse. I’ll be giving them deer velvet spray once it arrives.
  11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? Not sure what makes gingivitis better, nothing we’ve tried up until now has made it better.
  12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them) Will take a picture shortly with a post about the gingivitis.
  13. Current and previous treatment tried brushing but too difficult. We considered getting teeth cleaning treatment but they use flouride so it doesn’t seem like it will work and may do more harm than good. Will try deer velvet spray soon.
  14. Other health concerns: recently saw a little blood in her urine. She has a history of getting UTI’s.

Thanks!
Vanya
@Vani Hi Vani! See my new post on Silvervine and read about correlation of Gingivitis with Spleen/Stomach!!
LaurenHW

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Lauren, I'd appreciate if you would share the link to the article.

Thanks!

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Lauren, I'd appreciate if you would share the link to the article.

Thanks!
No Article just the Holistic Vet’s education. I’ll ask her if she has one. Maybe on PubMed or another Journal?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom