• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Rant from an animal control officer

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
These two little dogs were dumped in my town and the doxie had been attacked by something. Had surgery today to clean wounds. Of course the vet wants to follow the stupid state of Ct regulation that a wound of unknown origin immediately gets a rabies vaccine . I said absolutely not! Now my assistant is working and he is badgering her to take her back tomorrow to get a vaccine. I thought we are all supposed to do what’s in best interest of the animal and in my mind a rabies shot is the last thing she needs. She has a slight fever yesterday! I am so livid. From you veterinarians what can I say to him besides “hell no “?

76744E9A-6576-48C0-B65D-4D5C25755E93.jpeg

43FDEB0F-108C-432C-A5AF-6D6B456AF2A0.jpeg

A3298599-CE7E-48F7-B58D-216A12DAC149.jpeg

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
These two little dogs were dumped in my town and the doxie had been attacked by something. Had surgery today to clean wounds. Of course the vet wants to follow the stupid state of Ct regulation that a wound of unknown origin immediately gets a rabies vaccine . I said absolutely not! Now my assistant is working and he is badgering her to take her back tomorrow to get a vaccine. I thought we are all supposed to do what’s in best interest of the animal and in my mind a rabies shot is the last thing she needs. She has a slight fever yesterday! I am so livid. From you veterinarians what can I say to him besides “hell no “?

76744E9A-6576-48C0-B65D-4D5C25755E93.jpeg

43FDEB0F-108C-432C-A5AF-6D6B456AF2A0.jpeg

A3298599-CE7E-48F7-B58D-216A12DAC149.jpeg
I actually just called back and said we are not giving the rabies at this time and I take full responsibility

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
You might be able to work a deal for a ten-day quarantine at your house. They usually will clear animals for rabies if they have no symptoms. Gonna be a long shot, though, on a stray. If you have homeopathic Ledum, this would be a good time to use it.

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
You might be able to work a deal for a ten-day quarantine at your house. They usually will clear animals for rabies if they have no symptoms. Gonna be a long shot, though, on a stray. If you have homeopathic Ledum, this would be a good time to use it.
That is if the dog bites a person. This is considered an attack by a wild animal that isn’t around for testing

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes Judy. I don't think you have any recourse unfortunately.

This is a public health decision like a covid lockdown!

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
Yes Judy. I don't think you have any recourse unfortunately.

This is a public health decision like a covid lockdown!
Dr Jeff you are saying vaccinate an unhealthy dog? I’m still searching for info because I just found the pet store where she came from.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Judy!

Wonderful work that you got the state to agree to a 10 day quarantine instead of a rabies vaccination!

Yay, good for you, amazing!!

I thought that you'd be wasting your time by protesting.

But you, and good medicine, prevailed and proved me wrong.

I love it! Yay!!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I actually just called back and said we are not giving the rabies at this time and I take full responsibility
The vaccine label says only to be given to healthy animals to remove liability from the drug company. If a vet does give it to an unhealthy animal then as I understand the vet is liable and didn't follow the label. Sorry you have to deal with this. Glad you didn't give up though.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom