• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Rabies vaccine given today by surprise

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
Hi…my holistic vet gave my dog (18 month old Afghan hound) a rabies “booster” today because it was due (I brought him in to have wellness exam and to schedule surgery to remove a retained testicle). I wasn’t prepared for this. Based on his constitutional remedy I gave him a dose of sulfur. I ordered Lyssin which should arrive Saturday. Is this what I should give him?

Sorry, I’m sure this has been written about somewhere.

Thank you

Cassandra

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Gosh darn it! How the vaccine affects him is dependent on his innate constitution - his strength, any weaknesses, or proclivities for issues in different areas. It may have little to no bad effects, at least at this point in time. Since homeopathy works on the basis of observable symptoms, there is no way to choose a remedy unless and until such symptoms arise. I'm not a homeopath, and certainly not YOUR homeopath, but I have never subscribed to the notion of "antidoting", or giving a particular remedy in order to "fight it out" with the vaccine itself. So I would not give a "knee-jerk" remedy, or an automatic response of "this for that" such as the Lyssin. Good to have it around, but I would not advise giving it at this point. Watch and wait, I would, for any signs of his needing a remedy - maybe right away, or maybe not at all, or maybe months or years from now, when some systemic weakness shows up. I realize I am bucking a popular trend here, but it's just not that easy. The individual as well as his reaction MUST be taken into account, or it's just not good classical homeopathy. Keep us posted on his condition, OK?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Oh boy, I'm so sorry to hear this Cssandra.

I agree with everything Ginny said and wonder if you've seen any changes in BEAM (or in any way) since the rabies?

As a young vital pup who you already dosed with Sulphur (what potency?) I'm sure he will be fine!

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
Thank you
His BEAM is good
Another question though
He needs surgery to remove a retained testicle
He had an ultrasound scheduled for next week

How long is advisable to wait? I don’t want to combine vaccine and anesthesia so close together

My original teacher dog was neutered and vaccinated the same day developed issues with thyroid within less than a month

I’m not neutering this guy, just removing the internal testicle (and possible vasectomy to prevent accidental breeding), but still…anesthesia and surgery…

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Cassandra.

IMO, next week is fine for your pup's ultrasound, but you may want to avoid the stressors of anesthesia/surgery for a few more weeks.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom