• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Pyometra

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Blossom is really dripping drops of blood more today. What do people do? I have not restricted her as she is used to coming upstairs where there is carpet. I do not have diapers and never found those easy for a female dog to use. I have used male wraps which were easy peasy. I guess I should make up a bucket of stain remover soon.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Maybe one of these would work for Blossom:

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Well, being as it appears she is in heat, you have the perfect excuse to postpone any spay surgery:) Don't plan on it for about six weeks or longer; she needs to be in hormonal neutral when it's done. Great excuse if the shelter people rattle your cage.
Bitch britches are nice, but you may be able to use small disposable diapers. Sometimes a little scissor work and some paper tape will help. I used to use suspenders, too. As someone else mentioned, keep her clean, wiping gently with a damp cloth, maybe with a hint of ACV or very dilute iodine.

Rite of passage, just as with a daughter......

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Maybe one of these would work for Blossom:

These look very doable. When I used the belly band on the boys when they were marking it was easy to put on and take off. Looks like this female version would work easily too. Never seen these at all. Thank you!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Yes, her vulva is that fleshy thing under her tail.

It sounds like she is in heat (many female dogs get clingy around the time of their heat).

Maybe just continue to support her, love her up and let her body do "its thing"! Flow Free flower essence 3x a day may be helpful.

If her BEAM score drops below 8, a vet visit may be in order.

Now might be a great time to watch @Dr. Sara's wonderful course about heat cycles and spaying!
@Dr. Jeff I just received the Flow Free. So you said give it 3 times a day. Is that a dropperful and can it be put in food? How long should I give her this? I do not know how long these heat cycles last. Thank you!!

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff I just received the Flow Free. So you said give it 3 times a day. Is that a dropperful and can it be put in food? How long should I give her this? I do not know how long these heat cycles last. Thank you!!
I make sprays with these flower essences...for my girl, I spray a few times a day, on her, rub on her belly, paws, ears as well as her bedding and stroller. During her heat cycle, I would also rub some essential oil by AnimalEo - it's called Hormone Blend. Smells amazing and I use it on myself also!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I made a surgery appointment for Blossom in Mid May. I would like OSS but that is so invasive compared to the laporascopic procedure for spay. I imagine the recovery time requires a cone and surveillance for a couple weeks till stitches come out?? What is the post recovery? I also want to ask if she would be hormonal neutral then, i.e. best window of time I guess to do the surgery?? She started her cycle in mid December if I recall---maybe before Christmas---Is the "cycle" one month only when they say surgery should be 2-3 months after her last cycle? When do I start counting? Or do they also mean to wait till the progesterone phase of the cycle is over which I do not know how long that lasts (the part of the cycle that puts her at risk for pyometra). Yes, I want to do the OSS (1700 dollars!!) but she seems so lethargic walking. I never had a dog even four times her age that was so slow on walks for her age of 4. My other neutered dogs had energy when they were 3 times her age. My Gabby was almost 16 and had zoomies till 3 days before day she died. I think Blossom eats too much even though she has not gained more than 1 lb in 5 months. I know... homeopathy but wonder WHY she is too often walking like a mule instead of a race horse. Maybe I should do the surgery in April but I am procrastinating and have aversion to hospitals since JJ died so traumatically at one. I would not do the surgery at all if I wasn't being pushed to get it done by the people I got her from.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Lil!

You're doing the best by having this surgery in May.

Most of your questions are answered in Dr. Sarah's great spaying decisions course which you'll find in your member area.

And you can also ask @Dr. Christina or myself on your next Holistic Medical Decision Making call.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Ok, I did start watching a few months back but never finished. I have also been checking the conversation on the FB group. I was not counting on the whopping 1700 dollars and I'm trying to get the rescue to pay some. His vet charges 375 so I told him to give me that to go toward her surgery....Now he is quiet as a church mouse after I posed that.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I just finished watching Dr. Sara's course.... Well organized and clearly articulated even for Dummies on this topic like me. Thank you Dr. Sara. So the incision would be pretty large with a long 2 week recovery with the OSS. Now I see why the surgery should done mid cycle so the uterus is not so big. I did not understand the vaginal stump coming out when she urinates after the surgery and what significance that is, if any. Not looking forward to locking down with her that long. I take it she will need a cone as she would be able to lick the incision if it is so long. You mention checking for mammary tumors but what is done for them--surgical removal? Or biopsy and if not malignant just leave them alone? Speaking of hormonal effects---leads me to ask this question. Would a supplement like DIM be useful to metabolize estrogen down the best pathway? I have this supplement for myself but it also has PQQ in it (4mg), I also have a broccol sprout powder capsule and wondered if that is the same as DIM or can the broccoli be used instead of or in addition to DIM to prevent any mammary cancers or is that a different post?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Lil, you are the queen of "what if?" Seriously, you can just ride with it, do what becomes necessary, and not worry about anything much unless and until it becomes necessary. That said, yes, there will be a cone. I would investigate other forms of restraint: soft donut collars, or wide - 2" or more - padded plastic ones that laced around the neck. All you have to do is keep her neck from bending around. I've used these fat ones, and they work particularly well with fat bully necks. Keeping a T-shirt on her will be helpful as well, and perhaps a belly band over the incision, or an elastic wrap like an Ace bandage - loosish, though, not constrictive. Don't screw this up, though - you MUST keep her from bothering the sutures.

I wouldn't even be concerned abut mammary tumors, as she is young and not suffering from a lifetime of errant hormones. And let her hormones work themselves out - for months or years, even - before worrying about DIM or other supplements. Remember that you are giving her the gift of being NORMAL, so wait and see what that looks like. DIM - and broccoli - won't hurt, but they are not magically preventive, as with many supplements upon which folks spend money.

OK, deep breath...

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Yes Ginny, we used to tease my mother she should get a well paying job with a company who makes a product and who wants to know everything that could POSSIBLY go wrong with the product so they could plan ahead. Mirror mirror on the wall I am my mother after all!! On a serious note, I suppose she would need a ramp to get in the car after her surgery and won't be able to do steps. I have two little steps at the back door she needs to descend to go out. So the post surgical limitations are things I need to think about whether I can work around them. I can no longer pick up a 50lb dog. I used to be able to take my other dogs in the car during such recoveries but as you know she freaks in the car so I am a prisoner here I guess. After seeing Dr. Sara's webinar I thought laporascopic spay would be much easier but never posted that as you would be making a face visible to me across the miles!! But today I got my confirmation, (JJ taught me that there are no coincidences and things are often messages or warnings and I cannot tell you how since he died I listen to my gut and what I deem messages, very seriously......) this afternoon actually when I visited the office of my occupational therapist because I was in the neighborhood. The OT always brought her dog to the office. The dog, a Bernese Mountain Dog puppy had such personality, was so happy, excited, confident---so sweet, I would stop in just to see him. He always greeted me with love and kisses. I have not been there since July, right before the OT said she was getting him neutered. He was not even a year old then. I told her not to do it and to wait a couple years and gave her the health reasons. At the time I did not know about the hormone sparing surgery but told her to delay. Well she did not listen. I don't think she even connects the neuter with the personality change. Today when I went in, I felt such sadness...totally different dog, backed away from me, no smiles, no energy, had a worried look on his face the whole time as he looked at me from a distance until he finally walked away. No amount of coaxing changed his demeanor. I asked "WHAT HAPPENED TO MONKEY HE IS SO DIFFERENT". I said to her, you neutered him didn't you? I am still saddened and made the firm decision not to take that chance of changing my sweet Blosson's personality by removing her hormones. That dog lost who he was because someone was not open to looking into what I told her. Double bad is he is a Bernese and she just shortened his already short life AND neutered him before he was even one. My JJ was neutered at 7. With his history I thought he would live a short life.... NO, he lived the longest despite his horrible history. I cannot get this dog's sad scared vacuous look out of my mind---ever. I took this as a message as to what not to do with Blossom if personality change is even a risk.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Pyometra is an infection of the uterus. It can be closed, where the pus does not drain out of the uterus, or open, with drainage of foul smelling material, which can be any colour - white, green, red, brown.
Most girls with pyometra show signs within the two months after their heat cycle ends, though it can occur at any time. Usually the female feels quite ill. She may be slow or sluggish, she may have a poor appetite and a fever. Some girls are pretty tough, especially if the pyometra is draining. That is why it is so important to watch your pup's BEAM, and pay attention to her 'lady parts' regularly.
Dr. Sara or Dr. Jeff may I get some clarification of what Dr. Sara said above but specific to Blossom's timing of her last heat to the present. So I noticed her first discharge of blood around Dec 18th per my postings. As of today, March 9th is she still at risk for pyometra? She has been licking her vulva (and her knee) not constantly but when she does lick it , it seems more furious-like......but noticed it this morning after going out and last night after going out. She is eating well and after eating today she did seem to have abundant energy. The other odd behaviour was usually after the morning out, we both go back to bed for another hour or so. I saw she came into my room which was unusual and wanted petting and then laid down between the bed and wall for a bit, also unusual. So when you say they are at risk for pyometra for 2 months after the heat cycle- How long is the heat cycle--what is considered the heat "cycle" If she started Dec. 18th is she still in the cycle? Again, seeing the dates above, what is the window I have to watch for pyometra? She is having her OSS surgery on May 8th. Thanks

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
With her high BEAM and no other symptoms of discharge, drinking excessively, etc. you may want to be focusing on having a fun first spring with her, and not worrying about the very low possibility of pyometra (or other dis-eases).

If you see a drop in BEAM then as always, bring her to see your local vet.

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Lil,
Pyometra is possible at any time, though it makes dogs feel bad, so it is unlikely that is Blossom's problem. Pyometra is MOST COMMON about 2 months after the onset of heat signs.

Many female dogs lick and clean their vulva. It is possible that Blossom could have a somewhat inverted vulva, which can be itchy. Gently clean the area with water, and blot it dry with a soft cloth. Apply Wise Ways Calendula powder or a cornstarch based baby powder to the area around the vulva and in the clefts between the vulva and the thighs. That will make her clean and dry, and can be repeated once a day.

Stay well,
Dr. Sara

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom