• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Puppy is afraid of all dogs

AmelieH

All-Access Member
Registered
My 13-week-old puppy is afraid of all dogs :( She pees in fear every time we meet a dog, underlies herself or runs away. What could be the reason and what can I do to make her trust more?
Thank you and best regards, Amelie

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Hopefully our dog training experts will chime in here. there are many different approaches, and I am no expert in this area.

First, back off from trying to introduce her to any situation that scares her. Build up her confidence in many other ways. Have her focus on you with basic training. Listen to Pam Wanveer's talk on Tellington TTouch, and maybe get some books or watch you-tubes about their training programs. As she learns to be responsive to your commands (requests) and confident being with you, meet a friend with their calm, quiet, non-pushy dog outside. The other dog is sitting. You follow the training you have been doing. Heel, sit, walk, stay, .... and then be in sight of the other dog. If there is even a hint of anxiety (and you need to not be anxious yourself - listen to Anitra Frazier talk about our thoughts going to the dogs), just do a heel and turn away from the other dog.

There will be a summit soon, specifically on anxiety. We will announce it in an email.

@jenbridwell - comments?

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom