• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Potential Lymphoma diagnosis for dog

VitaL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi,
I was posting a while ago about my newly adopted pup Taco. Taco is 7 year old male and he had chronic colitis when I got him. Since then we've done a lot of tests to find the underlying cause. The ultrasound showed a lot of enlarged nodes in his abdomen. Other test we've done do not show cancer cells but the enlarged nodes on his neck and in abdomen point towards lymphoma. Our vet Dr.Royal ordered the blood panel for cancer but it'll take two weeks to get results. Meanwhile, Taco is progressively loosing weight and now he is also anemic.
We're following this protocol:
- Prednisone (15mg)
- Tylan (13 gram) and Rx Clay ( to help with diarrhea and food transition)
- Doxycycline
- GI Support (probiotic)
- Chinese herbal supplements to help with anemia (Yunnan Baiyao and ErythroPro)
- Mushroom Supplement
We're also transitioning from home cooked diet ( turkey, sweet potatoes, Zucchini) to lightly cooked chicken from SmallBatch. I'm also giving Taco blueberry kale smoothie, cottage cheese, bone broth, chicken soup. Taco is extremely hungry and gobbles anything I put on his plate. I feed him smaller portions few times per day. Because he is so underweight I feed him as much as he can eat without causing gastric distress.
So far this protocol improved his stools a lot. We went from 8-10 pudding like stools to 2 solid per day. However his energy is slowly decreasing. We have good days when he is willing to play a little and happy to go outside and bad days when all he wants to do is sleep whole day.
I'm starting to research all I can about cancer ( found a lot of good resources here!). Feel overwhelmed and stressed about decisions that will need to be made soon:
1. Chemo or palliative approach? Dr.Royal recommends to start chemo even before we get definite results. I worry about side effects.
2. Should I get consult with oncologist before starting chemo? But all oncologists in my driving distance are booked for months.

We got hit with cancer news just two days ago and I'm still trying to wrap my head around. I feel exhausted and overwhelmed, and I'm reaching the end of what I can financially afford. I would appreciate any advice and tips, oncologist recommendations, diet ideas.

Thank you,
Vita

IMG_0094.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
We got hit with cancer news just two days ago and I'm still trying to wrap my head around. I feel exhausted and overwhelmed
Oy, I'm so sorry to hear the bad news about Taco.

I unfortunately know how much overwhelm and grief come along with the diagnosis of cancer.

Believe it or not tho, there may be some supportive and positive things I can share.

First is that Taco's can still have a good life.

I think he's trying to show you that. By having a great appetite!

Aside from food, is there anything else he especially loves?

I ask because when we spoke last month, we may have discussed a bit about how subtle energy changes in his body may be the fundamental underlying change associated with cancer (the research is just getting going in this area-see the bottom of this message)

However, all that we know as vets, and what the diagnostic tests look is the physical (physiologic) causes for cancer. Physical like toxins, viruses, genetics, etc.

Physiologic (not energetic) changes are things like the inflammatory changes in Taco's body that brought on his possible lymphoma in the first place.

These changes probably started with chronic colitis and then were triggered by Taco's super stressful and traumatic fall. Physical and emotional stress is a big cause for every dis-ease:

And BTW, there's a fine line between inflammation and cancer. Sometimes even vet pathologists that look at biopsies from tumors can't tell them apart (kitty GI lymphoma is one common example).

The reason I mention energy along with his appetite is that the cellular joy and improved energy production (human research sow this-there is no dog research yet) he gets from eating can be used in many ways (snuffle mats, Happy Meals, training treats, etc.) to help maintain his quality of life ,

There are lots of holistic, fun, and effective strategies which you can start right away.

Some of this approach is discussed in this article, graphic and forum post:

Just a quick return to the physical vs. energy paradigms (and how happiness and energy are related).

I implied above that his cellular energy and physiological changes can improved through happiness. This effect, on the physical and scientific level, occurs by improving the function of little "powerhouses" of the cell called mitochondria.

In modern vet med mitochondria are how we "translate" things like chi and prana (vital energy, life force, etc.)

I realize now that I wrote too much and that it may not make much sense yet. But it will (especially if you, like many others, see the great effects).

BTW-I mentioned that mitochondrial energy and dis-ease research is just getting going in 2023.

Here's the first proposal request (sponsored by an anonymous HA! donor):

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
1. Chemo or palliative approach?
2. Should I get consult with oncologist before starting chemo? But all oncologists in my driving distance are booked for months.
Here's the approach I take in my practice.

1. An initial assessment and overview consultation (as you had with Dr. Royal).

2. Start the Happiness Protocol and vitality/energy building methods individualized to Taco (there is no downside to starting this right away)

3. Consult with an oncologist (and maybe even a holistically-oriented one like Dr. Kendra, Dr. Erin) to see if there are any immunotherapy and non-toxic therapies.

4. Treat Taco's happiness and quality of life while mindfully monitoring, with Dr. Royal, his tumors and other physiologic parameters.

I'd expect his BEAM and anemia to start improving right away.

Here's the integrative oncologists I mentioned:

VitaL

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr.Jeff thank you so much for a thoughtful reply and all the helpful information!

I loved the image of "The cellular and subtle energy needed for regulating and maintaining a human’s or animal’s dynamic equilibrium can be likened to the electricity and computer software required for running a computer."
I try to follow the Happiness Protocol to my best ability. There is just a very small handful of things he is still interested in. We do sniff mat, kongs, I take him for car rides to new areas and we're tweaking our ball game so he can catch a ball without leaving his pillow. He doesn't like to be touched/patted anymore (sign of pain?) and doesn't like walks in cold weather. My other dog started to show more interest in Taco than normal. She comes over and sniffles him from head to butt. Taco doesn't like it so I try to keep her away. The hardest part is to bring myself to a place of calm and positivity in order to create "happy" space for Taco.

From Taco's BEAM, the appetite is the only one that's high. So, I'll follow your advice and use that to feed his cellular joy.

Thank you again for your support,
Vita

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're very welcome Vita!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom