• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Positive Lyme Test

MargiTh

Registered
Pippa, my 3 year old Bordoodle, tested positive for Lyme on the Snap test when doing bloodwork on the day of her spay surgery. All other bloodwork was normal. They did a urine sample to test for protein and found +/-0.15g/L. The vet thought that amount of protein could be normal, but was a bit concerned, so I brought in another sample a few days later, which showed less than 0.15g/L. I'm still unsure, is this amount of protein normal in urine, or should we be doing more testing? I've attached a urinalysis below.

My vet recommends doing the C6 test and treating with doxycycline if results are greater than 30, and giving the Lyme vaccine. If results are less than 30, they would monitor and retest in 6 months. I've been researching what holistic vets recommend, including the information on this site, and most agree that you don't treat unless they are symptomatic. Pippa is completely asymptomatic, with a great appetite and lots of energy to play fetch and chase the puppy around the yard. Is there any point in doing the C6 if I wouldn't treat anyway? I have no idea how long she's been positive for Lyme because I have never tested her before. Lyme is not common in my area in Canada. I will definitely not do the Lyme vaccine.

Is there anything I should be doing holistically to maximize Pippa’s immune system so she stays well? I switched my dogs to a raw diet several months ago. I am using Outdoor Shield by Earth MD, Tickless tags, and Wondercide spray, but the dog ticks here are so awful that I still often find a few on our 2 or 3 times a day tick checks after our off leash walks to the river. My vet says they're not aware of the dog ticks in our area carrying any diseases so far, but there are deer ticks in the park where we went hiking last summer and fall, so although I never found a deer tick on her then, perhaps that's where she got it.

Attachments

• AbaxisVetscanFuseResultPdf-2122.pdf
    186.3 KB · Views: 2

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Margi!

Welcome to HA! and thanks for making your first post.
I'm still unsure, is this amount of protein normal in urine,
Probably, but the urinalysis doesn't show the concentration of the urine (aka the urine specific gravity) so it's impossible to say for sure.

However, the micro-albumin test was normal, and this is a super sensitive check for protein/albumin.
or should we be doing more testing?

The UPC test is the definitive test for abnormal protein in the urine. It doesn't seem to be indicated IMHO unless you'd like to have a baseline (which is always a good idea).

Is there any point in doing the C6 if I wouldn't treat anyway?
Great question! Yes, the point is to have a quantitative comparison for next year's C6.
Is there anything I should be doing holistically to maximize Pippa’s immune system so she stays well?
Perhaps see if they will ship this to Canada:

Also, if you haven't already taken the HA! Lyme course, it may be helpful.

If you have difficulty finding it, @aruna can share the link below.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom