• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Porcupine Quills

LauraL

Community Member
Registered
My Cocker Spaniel finds herself with a mouthful of porcupine quills during our walk this afternoon. She had 5 inside her mouth, lips and less than ten on the outside. I managed to hand pull out most of them, but a couple needs a plier. So I took her to the nearest Vet Clinic to see if they could pull them out. The vet wants $500.00 for the removal of quills, complete health examinations, rabies vaccine and Metacam. I told them I had no problem paying the vet time to remove the quills and make sure she was clean. But I am not here for Rabies or Metacam. I was upset and stressed. I am 35min from home and didn't want the quills creeping into her skin. So I went to a hardware store and got a plier. Clean it, took a deep breath and removed the remaining two quills in her mouth at the parking lot. Using a branch stick and making her bite on it helps my hand inside her mouth. :p
Once I got home, I gave her a pellet of 30C of Arnica for pain. Next, I clean her mouth with some witch hazel, then wipe it clean with colloidal silver. Is there anything else I should do? Walking dogs with drama!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, great job Laura!?♥️

Did you cut the barbs on the quill before removing them?

If there are no visible wounds on her mouth, then there's no need for further action unless her BEAM drops or you see other symptoms (like any related to eating or drinking).

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Just to say that was terrific! What a girl! Perfect treatment, and great "taking charge" of your animal and your life!

LauraL

Community Member
Registered
Wow, great job Laura!?♥️

Did you cut the barbs on the quill before removing them?

If there are no visible wounds on her mouth, then there's no need for further action unless her BEAM drops or you see other symptoms (like any related to eating or drinking).

I didn't cut the barbs before I removed the quill.

We were in the woods. I have no tools with me. I struggled to keep her still and used my hand to pull most of the quills out quickly. I worried about the quills embedding deep into the skin. It is not a professional job, but I have been feeling the skin around her muzzle, and inside her mouth just in case I missed anything. Her BEAM is good. I will continue monitoring her skin daily.

Is it true quills have poison inside? Is there a special way to remove quills?

I am glad to be in this group to be empowered and take control over how I want to treat my dogs.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Is it true quills have poison inside? Is there a special way to remove quills?
No and no (any way you can get them out).

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Great JOB!!!

Even if there are some residual quill pieces, her body should handle it - at worst a small abscess. Keep journaling her symptoms, BEAM and EWS.

Hypericum is good for areas with a lot of nerves, like the gums, so if there is some evidence of pain, try that next.

Silica is known to help remove splinters, and is good for abscesses, so read up on both hypericum and silica so you will recognize if they are needed.

Reiki or other energy method would be good, too.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
She just texted me that y'all touched base earlier today.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom