• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Pink Bump on Eyelid

BrianaM

Registered
9607D0CC-17CB-45D9-A496-AB4DCB1C83BB.jpegHi! I’m new to this community so I’m sorry if I’m posting this in the wrong thread.

Today I noticed a pink bump on my dogs lower eyelid (see pictures attached). I am wondering what I can put on it to help it go away, I’m not totally sure what it is and I’m working on finding a vet that I can trust. Would love any suggestions, hoping I can stop it’s growth or reverse it since it looks like it just came in today. Currently just wiping it with warm water.

Information on pet:
Toy Australian Shepherd - Male
Not neutered
Has all typical vaccinations - likely over vaccinated
Current diet is The Honest Kitchen grain free beef recipe (previously was generic dry kibble for almost 2 years) but now working to switch him to a raw diet once I learn how to.
Supplements - I give him a little bit of vitamin c - vimergy micro-c, a drop of vimergy b12, and a drop of vimergy zinc in his breakfast every morning

Thank you in advance

F792BC15-8630-4E91-BA87-AA360ED6DA46.png

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Brianna,
In a young dog, this is most likely a plugged tarsal gland. The tarsal glands provide lubrication to the eyelids, and when they get plugged due to debris or inflammation, the material can't drain. There may be another one more laterally on the lower lid, though that isn't clear. In people these are sometimes called styes.
If your boy will allow warm compresses to the eye for 5 to 15 minutes twice daily, that can encourage the material to soften and drain. Other causes, like tumours, are possible, but highly unlikely with such an abrupt onset in a young fellow.
I hope this helps,
Dr. Sara

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Briana-

Welcome to HA! and thanks so much for making your first post. Great job with wanting to work with your pup's body to heal itself!

Since this stye is likely the kind of clog that Dr. Sara mentioned, everything you can do to help his body do its' job is going to help him go with the (energy) flow and declog this swelling.

Hot compresses are a wonderful way to do this. You may also want to add in extra happiness to his life by doing more of what he loves most over the weekend.

Adding some fresh foods to his diet will help and also try using freeze dried chicken hearts in a snuffle mat (in addition to extra Therapeutic Sniff Walks).

Please let us know in 2-3 weeks (or before) how he is doing.

BrianaM

Registered
Thank you both so much for your help! I’m so glad to be a part of this community, it feels like a relief to know my dog is in good hands. He won’t let me do the warm compress for more than a minute or so but I’m doing it for as long as I can 2x a day and I do feel like it is looking better. I will keep you updated.

Also thanks for the snuffle Matt suggestion! I never heard of those, that’s adorable, just ordered it!

BrianaM

Registered
Thank you Dr. Sara and Dr. Jeff! His bump seems to have gone away and it’s only been 1 week of warm compresses! My vet prescribed him a steroid ointment for his eye before I received your helpful advice. I didn’t use the medicine at all and just did the warm compresses. I’m so happy it is gone! Thank you both so much! :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Awe-some Briana, great work! ?‍♂️

This is another wonderful example of your vital ?pup's body doing its' job (of making and resolving symptoms⚡⚡)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom