• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Pain Management

SheriS

All-Access Member
Registered
  1. Create one forum thread per pet. If you have more than one case, create a thread for each animal.
  2. Your pet's name Fibi
  3. Approximate age 14
  4. Sex Female
  5. Neutering status Yes
  6. Breed Havanese
  7. Approximate weight 9.5 lbs
  8. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood)Sleeps a lot but very interested in being close to us also doesn't hear well anymore and eye sight is poor too., Mostly sleepy but comes alive for food and treats, Great appetite, Obsessed with where the next treat is coming from which can be a buzz kill. She will play for rewards. Also seems a bit melancholy.
  9. Diet. Primal complete raw freeze-dried (venison or rabbit + fresh raw meat (venison).
  10. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication: Only vaccinated as a young puppy, Historic exposure to mold. Lived previously in NYC...toxins. Currently on levothyroxine, adrenal dessicated, lion's main, b-12-cbd, st johns wort, Peter Dobias' Green Min & Soul food.
  11. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time. Fibi fell down a flight of stairs in February 2022 and was badly bruised but no internal bleeding, organ damage or broken bones. She has a history of back issues since she was a young pup. Was off pain meds w/in a week and rebounded quite well.
  12. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? Fibi appears to be sensitive to touch on her lower spine, and frequently moans when we pick her up (very gently and balanced).
  13. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them). Fibi has some disc issues from a fall as a young puppy and has had chiropractic and acupuncture on and off for years which seems to provide some minor relief.
  14. Current and previous treatment: Chiro/ Acupuncture.
  15. Other health concerns: We would like to be prepared for an emergency to help alleviate serious pain until able to get to an animal emergency clinic. We live in rural Upstate NY and the ride to the vet is at least 35 minutes. We currently have Tramadol, Meloxicam and Methocarbamol which were provided after her fall in February. Can someone offer some guidance as to which meds if any) to administer, under what conditions and how much to administer until she could be seen by her local vet? I'm homebound much of the time with chronic illness and my husband is out (sometimes overnight) for work.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Sheri-

Thanks for making your first post and I am super sorry to hear about Fibi's continued health challenges.

It's wonderful to hear that his BEAM is so high!?

Out of the 3 meds you mentioned, the methocarbamol is least potentially toxic. It is also least likely to help Fibi IMHO.

Then Tramadol followed by meloxicam.

However, you may want to try increasing his use of the snuffle mat or the hunt for treats game (especially using freeze dried chicken/turkey heart) first.

When and if his BEAM score drops below 6 (where 10 is great) you may want to ask your vet about using the occasional dose of Buprenex. It's a much better pain reliever.

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Sheri,
Dr. Jeff has good suggestions for acute pain relief. Ideally, we would like Fibi to improve so that an acute situation is unlikely.

Please ask your chiropractor and acupuncturist to show you gentle massage / effleurage techniques to help Fibi. If your acupuncturist is skilled in Chinese herbal medicine, there are a number of herbal combinations that can help alleviate pain and stiffness without side effects. Proper diagnosis depends on the dog's presentation - where they are stiff, how they move, their tongue and pulse characteristics.

Another intervention that can help stimulate healing is infrared and Red Light Therapy. I like this company - their pads use both infrared and red lights, they are high quality, and have excellent customer service. I would suggest using the pad on the lower spine where she appears to have discomfort; more information is on the company website.

I hope this helps!
Dr. Sara

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wonderful Dr. Sara! Thanks for reminding me about red light therapy for Fibi.

Sheri, here's another tool you can use when you do your massage:

SheriS

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Sheri-

Thanks for making your first post and I am super sorry to hear about Fibi's continued health challenges.

It's wonderful to hear that his BEAM is so high!?

Out of the 3 meds you mentioned, the methocarbamol is least potentially toxic. It is also least likely to help Fibi IMHO.

Then Tramadol followed by meloxicam.

However, you may want to try increasing his use of the snuffle mat or the hunt for treats game (especially using freeze dried chicken/turkey heart) first.

When and if his BEAM score drops below 6 (where 10 is great) you may want to ask your vet about using the occasional dose of Buprenex. It's a much better pain reliever.

Dr Jeff, Thanks very much for your suggestions. At this time, she doesn't seem to be in any acute pain. This is in case of emergency, given the distance to the nearest emegency vet.

SheriS

All-Access Member
Registered
Dear Sheri,
Dr. Jeff has good suggestions for acute pain relief. Ideally, we would like Fibi to improve so that an acute situation is unlikely.

Please ask your chiropractor and acupuncturist to show you gentle massage / effleurage techniques to help Fibi. If your acupuncturist is skilled in Chinese herbal medicine, there are a number of herbal combinations that can help alleviate pain and stiffness without side effects. Proper diagnosis depends on the dog's presentation - where they are stiff, how they move, their tongue and pulse characteristics.

Another intervention that can help stimulate healing is infrared and Red Light Therapy. I like this company - their pads use both infrared and red lights, they are high quality, and have excellent customer service. I would suggest using the pad on the lower spine where she appears to have discomfort; more information is on the company website.

I hope this helps!
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, I appreciate your recommendations. Fibi's chiroprator uses some laser, acupuncture and Beamer in addition to gentle physical manipulation.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom