• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Open mouth breathing

ElenaM

VIP Member
Registered
Good afternoon Dr. Jeff Holistic Action Community:

Our 10 month old Somali kitten is experiencing two conditions since we brought him home as a kitten: blood in his stool (which goes away for a few weeks and then comes back again) and open mouth breathing. With regards to blood in his stool, his fecal sample came back negative for most parasites but positive for Giardia duodenalis (detected) a couple of months ago. The plan was not to treat him at the time because he is not experiencing vomiting and diarrhea.

Open mouth breathing if of great concern to us. He would breath with an open mouth after vigorous play almost all the time. I was told by one of the vets he saw at the time that sometimes it is normal for kittens to do that after playing too much and I was told to just keep observing him. A few months went by and he is still breathing with his mouth open even after gentle playing. And overall he just does not play much at all now. He is always looking for cool spots (next to air conditioner and open window). There are no smokers in the house and we do not use scented candles/sticks or perfumes. This time I was told by our regular veterinarian Felix should see an internist and have an x-ray done. He listened to his heart but did not hear murmur. He also does not have diagnostic equipment so we were told to bring him for an x-ray to rule out fluid in his lungs. We made an appointment almost 2 months ago and are bringing him for an x-ray next week. I measured his respiratory rate this morning and it is at 45 beats per minute. He sleeps restlessly and is always changing positions and places and waking up in between all the time.
His vet did lab work and it showed that he is negative for toxoplasmosis and negative for FIV and FeLV. However, positive for FCV, exposure to a coronavirus. We were also trying to make an appointment with one of cat cardiologists but most of them do not accept new patients and the one who was available does not have an appointment availability until December. I am wondering whether an internist we are seeing next week could expedite his cardiology appointment if necessary.

My questions/concerns are:
1. We were told that Felix might need to be sedated in order to have his x-ray done. We are highly concerned about having him sedated for this procedure. Given he has an undetected heart condition, it could probably kill him. Can we ask them not to sedate him? Will giving him gabapentin the morning of procedure be enough? Alternatively, can a holistic remedy (Bach rescue remedy?) be enough so that he is not sedated?
2. If he absolutely needs to be sedated, what are some 'safe' medications they can give him taking into account that he might have some sort of heart disease?
3. What are the best alternative remedies to fight off "medium parasite burden" (giardia dudenalis)? He has a new sample submitted last week and we are still waiting for the results.

Thank you very much,

Elena

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Elena-

Yes, it's not uncommon for some young cats to have open mouth breathing episodes like those you describe. However, they may be common but they're not normal!

Along with his other symptoms, like blood in his stool, his breathing is an early warning clue to a subtle internal imbalance. An imbalance that may not show up on tests, but the symptoms and imbalance are still there.

Can we ask them not to sedate him?
Yes, you can definitely ask. Depending on his temperament, they may not need to sedate him.
Will giving him gabapentin the morning of procedure be enough? Alternatively, can a holistic remedy (Bach rescue remedy?) be enough so that he is not sedated?
Gabapentin one time 30-60 min. before you go in and Rescue Remedy as often as needed (for anxiety) will help.
2. If he absolutely needs to be sedated, what are some 'safe' medications they can give him taking into account that he might have some sort of heart disease?
The hospital where the internist is will use the safest ones possible.
3. What are the best alternative remedies to fight off "medium parasite burden" (giardia dudenalis)? He has a new sample submitted last week and we are still waiting for the results.

Great (and directly related to immune balance) question! The very best way to address any parasite is fresh food feeding, lots of play and purring, probiotics, homeopathy, digestive enzymes between meals and many different herbals can help. Also, the conventional drug Panacur is super safe (but not metronidazole).

ElenaM

VIP Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff, I really appreciate your quick response and suggestions. We will follow your advice. Just received an email from his vet's office notifying that his stool sample is negative, no giardia detected. I was somewhat surprised given that we only gave him Rx Vitamins for Pets Rx Probiotic. I shall repeat the test in a few weeks just to be certain.
Best,
Elena

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Elena.

Yes, a repeat fecal flotation and some supportive supplements and energetic care (like homeopathy) sound great!! He's a young kitty so should have lots of energy to work with. You can definitely learn actions that will build and preserve that vitality to prevent and manage any dis-ease or symptom that crops up throughout his life.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hi Elena! I just had to look this up for someone last week... the current recommended use for gabapentin in cats is 100-200 mg per cat, 1-1/2 to 2 hours prior to stressful event. Previously they had given it less than an hour ahead (as instructed by their vet!), but that was not enough time for it to kick in so it became a disaster! But giving it closer to 2 hours ahead produced a relaxed kitty and stress-free vet visit!

The normal respiratory rate for kitties is up to 30 breaths per minute; hopefully the internist can figure out what's going on so we can address it holistically and appropriately! I have congenital heart problems too, and homeopathy has definitely been helpful, though other therapies have also been needed.

Oh, and here's my detailed giardia protocol; it has been very successful for me. Giardia Natural Treatment Protocol | Little Big Cat I did not create it, but I've used it for almost 30 years---it is brilliant! As Dr. Jeff mentioned, it needs to be given apart from meals; timing is the key! I had one case where it didn't help (out of hundreds where it did, including a cattery and quite a few dogs!), and a couple of cats where it had to be repeated. The nice thing is that this protocol is perfectly safe, so if there is even a glimmer of suspicion about giardia, tritrichomonas, or similar parasites, it's fine to use.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
You are thinking very holistically, Elena - good work.
Being less active while still such a young cat, along with the other symptoms does indicate that there may be some physiological changes along with the energy imbalance.

I would suggest you get a homeopathic vet (or local Chinese medicine trained one) and maybe also one trained in chiropractic on board RIGHT NOW. Do not wait for the results of the tests.

Also, what energy modalities have you learned? Be sure to offer them daily and maybe learn some more. They are very effective even if you have to do some pharmaceuticals.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom