• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

No individualization

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello @Dr. Jeff -

Following up on our appointment/conversation yesterday...Hope's last dose of remedy was Sulphur 30C 10/Q-tip on 8/3/21 and very slight improvement is evident since then. But we know that she is not at the point where we want her to be! You encouraged me to continue the support care (i.e., essential oil on her tummy as well as flower essences for her emotions) but you also commented that we can't really individualize a remedy for Hope now since she just came to our home January of this year, and that we don't yet know that much about her.

It made sense to me at that moment but not completely anymore as I pondered on it further. I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate on that. I think I'm doing her disservice if I just rely heavily on supportive care when (maybe) a homeopathic remedy could help her achieve deep healing. The basis of this message is on her chronic issues, not acute ones.

Further, most of the time, with senior rescues, we won't know much about their histories...but they do express symptoms which show underlying imbalance (on the energetic levels) - wouldn't these symptoms (w/ context) be enough for an individualization? A friend of mine runs a rescue and she rescues senior dogs. I have been sharing with her my journey with homeopathy and encouraging her to look into it for her senior dogs with chronic issues. I'd also mentioned to her not to use one of those "all in one" homeopathic solutions she can find on the market as individualization is important. Therefore, if individualization is out of question for these new senior pets, then I should inform her of such.

I apologize in advance if I misunderstood your point given on the phone. I hope this thread can benefit others as well. Thanks so much for your time!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sure, no problem Christine. Yes, this is a great topic for everyone.:)

Every dis-ease can be characterized. Exploration of symptoms lets everyone do that.

Acute individualization accomplishes that really well and quickly.

Which is why only learning a bit about the 4 Awe-some As and other emergency remedies is often enough.

However, it's impossible to characterize a chronic imbalance (dis-ease) just based on a bite, injury, food poisoning, etc.

What I said during our chat is that the deep-acting Sulphur that she received may, or may not, correspond to "hidden" aspects of her dis-ease.

Characteristics that you will learn as she is with you longer and manifests more symptoms (which are almost always good things). @GinnyW, I bet you can type this better than me.

Does that make sense?

Feel free to ask for clarification as "chronic vs. acute" individualizing can be complex and confusing.

Thanks for starting this awe-some conversation! :snowman:

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Well, let's see: Acutes come from outside - but how they affect the individual depends upon his constitution. One's constitution is the result of heredity and design, early nutrition and environment - exposure to disease and systemic insults, even insults to development of personality or character. All of this goes to make up who we are, who our companions are. And so, for our whole lives, whenever we are affected by an external assault, its influences go deep into us. We cope, depending on the nature of the insult - but there is always a residual effect: a scar, a deficiency, a behavioral tendency.

The proper acute homeopathic remedy can deal with these temporary conditions - sometimes made more serious by the body's innate constitution. But remedies addressing acutes do not necessarily affect the constitutional nature of the patient. So we are left with a resolution, say, of a liver problem, a rash, an inflammation - but perhaps not a cure that makes us stronger or more resistant to future insults.

The miracle of homeopathy, though, allows us to penetrate into and influence the innate nature of the patient. It takes great care and observation, many times, to see how a remedy could effect a change - although there are many instances of brilliant cures where not only physical health but personality and response to the world are restored - for instance, with autism, sexual response, addiction, aphasia. With our animals we might observe renewed vigor, interaction, sex drive, appetite - really basic changes in their character. But sufficiently to observe and determine how best to access and influence the constitution can take time and careful watching of everyday responses - and this is where the time you spend with your animal contributes to their eventual constitutional health, which of course enables better response to everyday acute situations: quicker healing, resistance to parasites, etc., robust appetite - everything you could want for them. There are no "conditions" which are separate from constitution; we can't say that our animal is "fine" except for poor appetite, itchiness, limping, fear, etc. And ultimately to resolve these requires work on the total constitutional aspect - and that is the province of the brilliantly trained homeopath. In the meantime, keep those "four "A's" handy:)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes! Fantastic Ginny, thanks for sharing.

Yo implied this by talking a bit about susceptibility to external influences and the likelihood of being affected by it. I'd add one piece to this tho:

external assault, its influences go deep into us. We cope, depending on the nature of the insult - but there is always a residual effect: a scar, a deficiency, a behavioral tendency.

I think that whether there is a residual effect depends on thhe susceptibility of the individual to any particular stressor.

Stuart Close discusses this at length here (Ginny, I know you've read this book but not sure if Christine has):

I'd love to hear what @Dr. Christina, @Dr. Sara and @dr_ judy herman say.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Thank you, Dr. Jeff! Oh, what a wonderful chapter....

I am inclined to think that there is always a small degree of susceptibility, by definition. If the organism reacts, it is susceptible. But this can be a tiny reaction, just a note in the filing cabinet: "Well, now we know how THAT goes.." Close refers to a "normal susceptibility" as one of the most valuable medical assets we possess.

I'd say that it is a "proof of life", and not a negative. My skin was pierced yesterday; not a big thing and easily handled by the body. But it WAS susceptible to being pierced...

A big sliding scale...

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes!

Susceptibility is what allows all beings to be survive and thrive.

On the other hand, "morbid" susceptibility (like out of control inflammation) is what we always aim to cure.

Allergies are one example. Potential triggers, like pollen and food, are only problematic when there is excess susceptibility.

Reducing and resolving allergies can be accomplished by treating the underlying imbalance increasing susceptibility.

Avoiding the allergic triggers may reduce the symptoms, but doesn't normalize susceptibility...

RandyC

All-Access Member
Registered
I love reading this discussion, although a lot of it is still hard for me to understand :)

I have a basic question - what are the 4 awe-some A's? I feel like I might have came across it either in the forum or the resources area but can't remember what it is and can't seem to find it.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Christine, can you share the 4 As with Randy and why he should care about them?

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Yes, this is such a wonderful thread! Thank you!

I think I understand the acute aspect of it. However, unfortunately, I still am not grasping the concept as to why it is impossible to characterize the chronic imbalance (dis-ease) in, my dog, Hope's case? We are not basing her chronic issue on incidents such as a bite, injury, food poisoning, etc. She does have plenty of symptoms though...physical manifestations (secondary) as well as mood and behavior symptoms (i.e., lack of interest to sniffle walk when outside - loves to be out but prefers to sit at front door). That is still not enough? And she's been with us for 8+ months....
However, it's impossible to characterize a chronic imbalance (dis-ease) just based on a bite, injury, food poisoning, etc.

What I said during our chat is that the deep-acting Sulphur that she received may, or may not, correspond to "hidden" aspects of her dis-ease.
Also, if Suphur is not the correct remedy to help her achieve internal balance/deep healing, is it possible (and beneficial) to try other remedies? My understanding is that the homeopath who takes the case would come up with a list of remedies in the repertory. (Also, I thought a list of possible remedies can be achieved just based on a few symptoms.) @Dr. Jeff - can you explain why you did not suggest the remedy next in line for Hope?

Further, this brings me back to one of my previous questions - How would one help a rescue pup with a dis-ease that's obviously a chronic issue, like heart disease (NOT an acute one)? We should not let the poor pup suffer for months or even a year (or resort back to conventional meds/treatments) as we take time to compile a list of symptoms, correct?

This also crossed my mind - How about when a "being" (either human or dog), hypothetically, is almost at that perfect internal balance (which is rarely the case, I know) and thus shows very little symptoms...how do we help this being achieve total balance with homeopathy?

Christine, can you share the 4 As with Randy and why he should care about them?

I am not 100% sure but are these the so-called "first aid" remedies? And are they Arnica (for any types of bruising & injury), Apis (for bee sting), Arsenicum Album (for food poisoning), and Aconite (for cold)...?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes! Those are the 4 Awe-some As Randy.

@aruna I'd appreciate if you point Randy to more info.

Christine, you're asking about chronic dis-ease case management, and that's not really something I can address this am.

I suggest reading the case management sections of the Organon (Wenda Brewster O'Reilly has the sections delineated) as well Kent's Lectures on Homeopathic Philosophy before we discuss this.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Christine, you're asking about chronic dis-ease case management, and that's not really something I can address this am.
@Dr. Jeff - Thanks for the resource. Can you also address it when you can? You're such a wonderful teacher; I'm sure we can all benefit from it! Thanks!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom