• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Nematodes for flea and tick control

beccak

All-Access Member
Pet Professional
Registered
I have used nematodes for flea and tick control for many years with great results. I live on 4 acres, mostly wooded, have about 1 acre cut grass. We have a lot of wildlife come through but pick very few ticks off our dogs. The first year we were here ticks were everywhere. This is our fifth year in this location and we have pulled 2 ticks off our dogs this year.
I only apply them on the cut grass area and the paths we walk. I try to let the rest of the land do what it needs to do.
I see the company I get them from is having a 20% weekend sale (through 7/18/21). Ticks typically drop this time of year but if you put them out now you will have a jump on the fall infestation.
This same company usually has a fall sale on nematodes as well.
Fun fact: nematode was a word in the National Spelling Bee this year ;)

Becca

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, fantastic thanks for sharing this Becca!

After this am's yoga I'm ordering some.

Has anyone else here used beneficial nematodes to reduce ticks?

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I have recommended nematodes for decades.

I especially love that you are only applying to some areas, and letting nature work on the rest, Becca.

I prefer the nematodes to the wondercide/EO sprays for the yard since they only eat flea larvae (and few others).

Dr. Christina

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Wow, fantastic thanks for sharing this Becca!

After this am's yoga I'm ordering some.

Has anyone else here used beneficial nematodes to reduce ticks?
Yes!! I have used Nematodes for years on my entire property. They are applied twice a year by a company, best when it is raining so they soak into the dirt. They don't live very long once applied. Also controls moles (those lumps of dirt in the lawn people get). It is well worth the time and money.

beccak

All-Access Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Wow, Arbico has their nematodes on sale, 40% off!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
These are great. I have a company do it twice a year because I am too lazy to do it myself :) It is well worth the money to do this for the dogs and their safety. Again, the protection builds up. I have done it for years. You may also not see those clumps of dirt on the lawn the moles make because you are getting rid of the grubs too

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing the sale.
Even though there is a sale, do not stock up without checking.
I think they have to be fairly fresh to be alive. Dr.Christina

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Yes, good point to bring up... They are very fragile and do not live that long, only long enough to eat the larvae. And they have to be watered in well. My people come on a day it is raining for a good effect.

beccak

All-Access Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Yes, @Dr. Christina, good point! Directions state to keep refrigerated and use within 2 weeks. Thankfully this company is good with allowing you to order during the sale and giving a grace period for shipping. I always look for gentle rain times for application.
Becca

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom