• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Natural flea treatments

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
M

merrynb

Yellow sulphur powder seems to deter a variety of pests/parasites. Would it be safe to apply this to cats? Bearing in mind that they will ingest it via licking

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I would not advise it Merryn.

Your best bet is to optimize vitality and balance with diet, lifestyle and homeopathy and to thoroughly flea comb the cats a few times/day. Especially after being outside.

Well balanced vital pets get fewer parasites.

If they wear collars, you can also use magnetic flea and tick tags (one of the brands should be available locally) on them. Repelling different bugs requires different tag types as they all have different frequencies. Here in the US we often use Shoo Tags (now called <a href="https://amzn.to/2Jqz1K7">0 Bug Zone</a>).

Dr. Jeff

denize

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi,
I have a cat that can’t be handled (rescued from the street yesterday) with kittens. I am not sure if they have fleas but if they do what are my options (remember I can’t handle the mom so baths and combing are not an option). Thank you!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Can you handle the kittens, though?
If you can, bathe them and/or flea comb them.

Flower essences can be used in many ways. Jackson Galaxy 'Para-outa-site' or Green Hope Essences "Flea Free". Put a few drops in the crate/bedding/boxes. Put a drop in the food. Spray (if not scary to the cat) a mist in the air.

Then focus on the environment - put up a "flea trap" - bowl of soapy water with a light shining on it and/or a heating pad under it. Often fleas will go to that and cannot get out of the soapy water.
Put down Diatomaceous Earth under the cage/bedding, etc.

J. Allen Boone, in Kinship for All Life , speaks about talking to insects. First, think about the wonder of fleas and how successful they are. Then think what you want - which is for the fleas to leave these cats and move to another area because you want these cats to be healthy and they cannot be while too many fleas are there.

Dr. Christina

denize

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi again,
I bathed the kittens two weeks ago and have been combing them twice daily - until yesterday they were all clean. Now they have fleas again. Questions:
1. I would like to wash the kittens again but also don’t want to irritate their skin although I’m guessing fleas are worse than dry skin?
2. The mom - she is a love bug but I doubt she is ready for a bath. But she does have fleas. I can comb her top but she is not into having her belly combed. Also I am not sure of the effectiveness of the combing on her as she is medium long hair and the fleas have plenty of hiding opportunities. Everywhere I turn people and vets are recommending Revolution. I know that is a strong chemical but I am also concerned about fleas, the effects on the rescues, our resident cats, and our home. I got all of the natural remedies - green hope, Jackson, and also the one from the crazy cat ladies. I started using them Saturday and have not seen results.
Thank you!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Washing should not irritate the skin - do it.
Are the kittens still nursing? they will keep getting the fleas from mom.

Natural remedies definitely take longer, so be patient. Be positive. Per J. Allen Boone's great book - Kinship with all life, think about the stellar qualities of fleas, then ask them to exit your home (sometimes an intuitive can help with this) and enjoy their life elsewhere.

Have you set out a flea trap (lite and heat with a bowl of soapy water)?

Would mom let you rub diatomaceous earth in her?
Are you using the essences a lot? Sounds like you are using 3 different companies' essence at one time. That may not be the best. Use your "gut" feeling, muscle testing, dowsing, or an intuitive to see which would be the best and use that A LOT - FREQUENTLY. You do not need large amounts of essences, just flood the house, yard (even if they do not go out), mom and kittens with it.

Many people share your worries: "the effects on the rescues, our resident cats, and our home." However the chemicals can kill and cause chronic disease, so I feel they are worse unless you have given it your all. I think it was Donna who struggles with fleas for her dogs for over a year before finally clearing them 100%.

Unless kittens are so covered with fleas that they are anemic (lethargic, not eating, white gums) they will not be ill from the fleas (except for tapeworms in the future, which Para-Outta-Site may address). Can you keep the mom and kittens away from the rest of the house? Put on booties or white socks when in that room, and de-flea yourself before leaving room.

For more information I recommend my kindle book (Fleas Be Gone) and Chip Sammons hilarious https://www.amazon.com/Flea-control-holistic-humorous-approach.

Keep us posted - we will keep supporting your efforts to avoid chemicals.

Dr. Christina

juliewaite

All-Access Member
Registered
Can you handle the kittens, though?
If you can, bathe them and/or flea comb them.

Flower essences can be used in many ways. Jackson Galaxy 'Para-outa-site' or Green Hope Essences "Flea Free". Put a few drops in the crate/bedding/boxes. Put a drop in the food. Spray (if not scary to the cat) a mist in the air.

Then focus on the environment - put up a "flea trap" - bowl of soapy water with a light shining on it and/or a heating pad under it. Often fleas will go to that and cannot get out of the soapy water.
Put down Diatomaceous Earth under the cage/bedding, etc.

J. Allen Boone, in Kinship for All Life , speaks about talking to insects. First, think about the wonder of fleas and how successful they are. Then think what you want - which is for the fleas to leave these cats and move to another area because you want these cats to be healthy and they cannot be while too many fleas are there.

Dr. Christina

Are flower essences like Homeopathic remedies?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Julie! :thumbsup:

Dr. Bach who developed the Bach flower essences ?was indeed a homeopath.

His intent was to develop a simpler to use system that focused on the mental/emotional issues that often start dis-ease.

However, Flower Essences are not proven (tested), or used based on the totality of symptoms, like homeopathic medicines.

Dr. Jean's fantastic webinar about the Spirit Essences which she developed (which are now the Jackson Galaxy essences) might be a great resource for you.

I wasn't able to find it, but will ask Aruna to let you know where it is.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
One of the joys about flower essences is that they can never cause even temporary harm. They have a broad spectrum effect as well, and do not need to be as carefully selected as homeopathic medicines. You can try combination ones, as well.
Dr. Christina

DonnaR

All-Access Member
Registered
What if we don't find fleas, but the cat seems to lick the same spot all the time with hair missing now? Almost seems like a habit she has had her whole life with me.

Just one cat our of 11 having this issue - my LUCY with Kidney Disease. She is doing great otherwise, but likes to lick for some reason these same areas.

Any ideas? thanks

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
@DonnaR, did this start after a dose of homeopathic medicine?

If so, what happened with her BEAM after the dose?

DonnaR

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff - itching/licking hair off did NOT start after a homeopathic medicine dose. No doses of anything since ARS about a month ago (which did not affect her after dosing for a week - so I stopped). She has been getting E-LYTE in her water this entire time.

Only event that happened around that time was both my neighbor's installed fences which stressed me out as I hate they did this. I've come to terms with it - though still unhappy about it.

Her BEAM is great!

DonnaR

All-Access Member
Registered
Any advice? Lucy continues to lick her skin and hair off - vomitting it up about ever 3-4 days like hairball. Even though no flees on a flee comb - I've tried rubbing ground Thyme on her which she allowed but she vomited up a hairball last night.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom